Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging Advice

Options
  • 26-03-2009 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need a bit of advice on setting a hedge please. Basically, I have put up a fence at the front of my house and want to put a hedge inside it. Now, here is my problem. Where I want to put the hedge was built up with stone because my site is slightly below the road. So, if i dug a trench say a foot deep by a foot wide and filled it with top soil do ye reckon that my hedge would thrive there. The hedge I want to put there is beech and I can get 5 foot plants from the fella who put up the fence for a good price. If the hedge wouldnt fill out etc, I think it would be a waste putting it there.
    I would have to bring the hedge back around 4 feet from the fence if I were to plant it in soil. I dont want to do this as I dont think it would look well so far from the fence.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

a foot by a foot? can't imagine a 5 foot tree has roots that short, and even if it did, i reckon that shallow it's come out in any bit of wind...

but that is only a guess and i'll probably be corrected by someone more knowledgable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

mossym wrote: »
    a foot by a foot? can't imagine a 5 foot tree has roots that short, and even if it did, i reckon that shallow it's come out in any bit of wind...

but that is only a guess and i'll probably be corrected by someone more knowledgable

You're probably right mossym, but I just don't know how much soil to plant them in. It's just awkward because while the fence is fine, it doesn't give the house the privacy that a hedge would.

Advertisement