Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy farming

Options
  • 26-03-2009 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭

I am doing a report on puppy farming for college. I would appreciate if you could answer the poll question as I would like to include an on-line poll in my findings. Thank you for your time:):)

I thought that I could ask a few questions in the poll!! So if anyone wants to add anything I would really appreciate it. I'm not sure why I picked this subject as I am finding it hard to find concrete information about the legislation around this-if anyone has any information about this, would really appreciate it.

Thanking you

Do you know anyone who has bought a farmed puppy? 26 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Anvil Ireland have done a lot of work on this and would be a good place to start - I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Anvil Ireland have done a lot of work on this and would be a good place to start - I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

We have a puppy farm pup - we didn't purchase her she was purchased from a man who couldn't walk away and leave her there - so not sure how to vote :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

a good topic to investigate!! wel done. i wish the laws on puppy farming or even ikc reg were stricter... my fella was from a puppy farm - found breeder on donedeal.ie and all photos were taken in the family house - but when we got there it was awful!!

i mean it was clean and everything, and we saw both parents but there was at least 4 different breeds of dogs being bred. the breeder was the car salesman of the dogie world (no offence at all meant, but you know what i mean). we just felt so sorry for the dogs we had to take one home - and paid a small fortune for it too. he was v sick as a puppy and vet thought it had congenetal disease, wanted to know bout where we got him etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I know several people who have unwittingly bought farmed puppies. The most recent involved a westie. The pup was advertised in a free ads magazine & a mobile number was given. The seller seemed very plausible and photos were exchanged, he even kindly offered to drive half way and meet the buyer in a shopping centre carpark. The pup was sick which the seller put down to car sickness, the buyer's gut instincts told her to walk away but her 2 kids were with her and they forced her hand. Cash was handed over and the papers would be in the post as he only remembered them after driving 50 miles. Needless to say no papers turned up, the pup wasn't microchipped and it was very sick but happily recovered. The phone was never answered afterwards. I've seen the pup and I've my doubts about it being a full westie. Unfortunately this is a common scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Thanks very much to those who took the time to vote and reply!:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I voted no, but on reflection a couple of people I knew from my old park had gotten their dogs from dog farms. One was a chocolate Labrador which cost his owner £700. She drove to see him at the seller's house but didn't get to see any of the other pups in the litter, she asked but the seller told her they were all bitches and she'd be better off with the only male. She bought him and as soon as she brought him to the vet she discovered that he has serious congenital hip and leg problems which have already cost her over £1000 to treat. The vet saw the problem the minute he looked at the dog so she now suspects that the owner didn't let her see the other pups as she'd have noticed the difference in his legs.

Without sounding horrible, the woman who now has the labrador is not the smartest person and she was on some serious anti-depressants at the time as her husband had died a few months before she got the dog so she was quite out of it. The dog breeder saw her coming a mile off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

iguana wrote: »
    I voted no, but on reflection a couple of people I knew from my old park had gotten their dogs from dog farms. One was a chocolate Labrador which cost his owner £700. She drove to see him at the seller's house but didn't get to see any of the other pups in the litter, she asked but the seller told her they were all bitches and she'd be better off with the only male. She bought him and as soon as she brought him to the vet she discovered that he has serious congenital hip and leg problems which have already cost her over £1000 to treat. The vet saw the problem the minute he looked at the dog so she now suspects that the owner didn't let her see the other pups as she'd have noticed the difference in his legs.

Without sounding horrible, the woman who now has the labrador is not the smartest person and she was on some serious anti-depressants at the time as her husband had died a few months before she got the dog so she was quite out of it. The dog breeder saw her coming a mile off.

Thats so evil selling someone a sick dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Alfasud

lindtee wrote: »
    I am doing a report on puppy farming for college. I would appreciate if you could answer the poll question as I would like to include an on-line poll in my findings. Thank you for your time:):)

I thought that I could ask a few questions in the poll!! So if anyone wants to add anything I would really appreciate it. I'm not sure why I picked this subject as I am finding it hard to find concrete information about the legislation around this-if anyone has any information about this, would really appreciate it.

Thanking you
    Check todays posts re Canine Disease on Puppy Farm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

ahaaha wrote: »
    when we got there it was awful!!

we just felt so sorry for the dogs we had to take one home

I hate to say it but doing this worsens the issue.
    People feeling guilty is what keeps the puppy industry going, but people are keeping the puppy farmers in business by doing so. The puppy farmer doesn't care if you bought from guilt or not, he has made his money from it, and the more sales he has, the more puppies he will breed, and the cycle continues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 redvictoria

lindtee wrote: »

Thanking you

You might have a look at the thread Disease at Midlands "Puppy Farm" I think you you'll find it a wealth of information for your report.
    I am also interested to know if if there are any other diseases or like problems been carried by these farmed puppies. A child of the person I know who bought one got a mange like rash, although no direct link was established at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

How did the report go.

Did you get all the info you needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I din't post in this before and it's prob no use now as I imagine the report is long done but our family pet was bought by my mum from a puppy farmer. I think I was about 7/8 and remember at the time thinking it was so cool to see all the different puppies everywhere.

Looking back now I wish we had known better and the dog had also been quite aggressive. (esp when tormented by us kids :rolleyes:)

Advertisement