Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whey protein shakes cause Migraine?

• 26-03-2009 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hey.

I'm getting migraines since i'm 16 (now 20). I know wat triggers them (cheese, chocolate, when I fast for a while) and can therfore control them to a point.

About 18months ago I started taking Holland & Barratts Whey protein after workouts.

I took it twice and got migraines a few hours after both times, so i stopped using it.

A few months later i tried a differnt brand for 5 months and got 3 migraines again.

I realise the connection between whey and chocolate and cheese is dairy but has anybody heard of whey protein shakes causing migraines?

I've started taking soya protein but there is only half the protein per serving in it. any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

I realise the connection between whey and chocolate and cheese is dairy but has anybody heard of whey protein shakes causing migraines?

Never heard of whey causing migranes. Sounds like you may have some sort of problem with dairy products, might be worth your while having you lactose tolerance tested.

Were you mixing the whey with milk by any chance or did you mix it with water? Just trying to establish whether it's the actual whey that's giving you the headaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

i certainly would not recommend a soya protein powder - pushes up your estrogen levels which is not good for building muscle and strength.

What brand were you using of whey protein?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Never heard of whey causing migranes. Sounds like you may have some sort of problem with dairy products, might be worth your while having you lactose tolerance tested.

Were you mixing the whey with milk by any chance or did you mix it with water? Just trying to establish whether it's the actual whey that's giving you the headaches.

No i always mixed with water. I said it to 3ppl working in nutrition stores and they said they haven't heard that whey shakes cause migraine either.

Would d lactose tolernace test help it would?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Transform wrote: »
    i certainly would not recommend a soya protein powder - pushes up your estrogen levels which is not good for building muscle and strength.

What brand were you using of whey protein?

Really?? I thought protein was protein. bcos there was half the protein in a serving versus whey shakes i was talking 2 soya servings.

I was using the Holland & Barratt one first then i moved onto EAS. i always used the strawberry flavour. heres a pic of it...
    http://www.muscle-shop.co.uk/images/products/ms-600/eas/22354-100-myopro-whey-protein-choc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

can also be caused by the added sweetneers - just buy one thats 100% isolated whey and unflavoured.

And again certainly no soya!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

No i always mixed with water. I said it to 3ppl working in nutrition stores and they said they haven't heard that whey shakes cause migraine either.

Would d lactose tolernace test help it would?

It would help in the sense that you might be able to find a solution to the migranes in terms of what not to eat - dairy products, whey, etc. Alternatively, you might find out that whey or dairy products is not the cause of the migranes.

Advertisement