Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sydney for a week?

Options
  • 26-03-2009 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

G'day, Me and the other half will be going to Australia in the summer for a month. Just to see some sights and some friends. We will be landing in Sydney then making our way up north.

Just wondering, Is a week to much time in Sydney, not enough, or just right?

Is it a big enough city where we wouldnt be sitting around bored. Just want to know before we book anywhere.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

G'Day Bruce..
    a week is plenty in Sydney, maybe even to long, get up the coast as quick as you can, byron bay, fraiser island, whitsundays etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

I reckon its too long to stay in Sydney if you are just going to be in Oz for a month in total - reckon a long weekend is loads to see the sights and that but if you are catching up with friends you'll probably want to be there longer. My advice is save the days for more stop-offs on the east coast on your way up north!!:D

Hope ye enjoy the trip - very jealous:(

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Yeah agree with everyone here a week is well enough

Here are a couple places you might be interested in go to :

Sydney Harbour Bridge

18_big.jpg

The Rocks
    Home of the Australian Pub Crawl.

11364437.jpg

Sydney Observatory

43_big.jpg

DARLING HARBOUR

33_big.jpg

Sydney Aquarium & Sydney Wildlife World

00_big.jpg

Sydney Opera House

01_big.jpg

The Royal Botanic Gardens

87_big.jpg

Australian Museum

Hyde Park

22_big.jpg

Chinatown

15_big.jpg

Sydney Tower

3939965.jpg

Maroubra Beach

One of Sydney's great surf beaches

96_big.jpg

Coogee

71_big.jpg

Bondi Beach

most famous beach in Australia

12_big.jpg

Manly Beach

The first of Sydney's Northern Beaches.

62_big.jpg

Palm Beach ( Home & Away )

495825.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Just some more questions folks. We will be only going as far north as Brisbane, Because were flying back from Sydney. Just wondering what are the best spots between Sydney and Brisbane. We already heard about Byron bay, Surfers paradise. Any where else of interest / party type places.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Party type places - no none
    Places of interest? ... well depends there are some beautiful towns, but to be honest raindbow beach which is the gateway to frasier island is about 150km away .. and much better than surfers and probably byron too in my opinion

how long to you have to go as far as Brisbane
    Personally I think 1 day in brisbane is enough time is better spent else where

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »
    Party type places - no none
    Places of interest? ... well depends there are some beautiful towns, but to be honest raindbow beach which is the gateway to frasier island is about 150km away .. and much better than surfers and probably byron too in my opinion

how long to you have to go as far as Brisbane
    Personally I think 1 day in brisbane is enough time is better spent else where

Well we have a month there all together. I just want to see more than Sydney, Not even pushed on Brisbane TBH. I just thought it was a good do-able distance for a month. Also have to travel back to Sydney to get the plane home, so dont wanna strey to far from there. Also thinking of just renting a car/van. It can double as a bed :)

dancor wrote: »
    Well we have a month there all together. I just want to see more than Sydney, Not even pushed on Brisbane TBH. I just thought it was a good do-able distance for a month. Also have to travel back to Sydney to get the plane home, so dont wanna strey to far from there. Also thinking of just renting a car/van. It can double as a bed :)

Not much in Brisbane but Australia is a lot more than it's citys, I'd nealry fly into sydney, hook up with your mates for 2 days, get a cheap flight to Cairns and work your way back down to sydney (get the bus) for the return home..

Cairns > Whitsundays > Fraiser Island > Surfers Paradise > Byron Bay(Nimbin) and then back to sydney.....(that seems a bit simple, trust me it's a lot of area to cover) Think Dublin to New York and Back again, in a hot bus:))

If you gave 2 1/2 weeks coming back down to sydney you'd have seen most of the east cost within reason.......great time guranteed...

don't even think about staying in sydney when you could be here..

Whitehaven_wideweb__470x317,0.jpg

Remember it's all about the Journey not the destination:D

+1
    Easily done in a month

Another question people. I understand I will be there during the winter in that part of the world. How is the Winter over there? Better than an Irish one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

you are definitely better off going as far North as you can during the winter if you want some good weather. Its the best time to hit Cairns or Darwin as it wont be too hot and I think its the best time of year for avoid stingers in the water too...

I definitely think you are better off flying to Cairns as suggested and drive down from there...I dont think there's too much of interest between Sydney and Brisbane - Not if you want to experience a bit more of Australia anyway

• Advertisement

dancor wrote: »
    Another question people. I understand I will be there during the winter in that part of the world. How is the Winter over there? Better than an Irish one?

wet and cold in sydney, now people might not think 12c is cold but it is when there is no heating ....

But generally it's fine, temp can drop and some days can get really nice - I remember during the 'heat wave' 3 years ago dublin was 28 and sydney was 24 ... I didn't have to heart to tell me dad though

Anyone been to Coffs harbour? it seems to be on my route and the hostels look nice and lively there. Any recomendations for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Trained Monkey

Coffs Harbour is fairly dull to be honest, decent beach and stuff but not a party town at all. Saturday nights are good according to the locals but we landed on a sunday and the only spot there closed at 12! Hervey bay is probably your best bet after byron and surfers. Few decent pubs and its the main launch pad for Whitsunday trips as far as i can remember. Def go to cairns tho and head down instead of starting in sydney.

From a partying perspective i'd recommend trying to hit the main places at weekends, eg. Cairns 1st weekend, Surfers next then Byron Bay. Then spend the week days travelling and doin the more cultural stuff and activities like australia zoo, rafting etc. I'd suggest finishing your trip on a high by doing a skydive or something like that to finish up! definitely worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Coffs Harbour is fairly dull to be honest, decent beach and stuff but not a party town at all. Saturday nights are good according to the locals but we landed on a sunday and the only spot there closed at 12! Hervey bay is probably your best bet after byron and surfers. Few decent pubs and its the main launch pad for Whitsunday trips as far as i can remember. Def go to cairns tho and head down instead of starting in sydney.

if you go to cairns , make sure you spend a day chillin, at the lagoon on the esplinade , its beautiful on a nice day and if your looking for a hostel there try the nomad serpent or gilligans hostel ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

You have a month so lots of time ... I just returned from a Sydney / Brisbane trip which stuck mainly to the well established trail.

Sydney - 5 days as follows:
    - Manly - beach a wander around the headland
    - Bondi / Bronte / Coogee Walk - beach time - lovely walk between too.
    - Wandered around the city center sights - Pylon Lookout, The Rocks, Opera house, Domain, Tower, Darling Harbour, Chinatown etc.
    - Taronga Zoo for an afternoon
    - Blue Mountains

Then:
    Hunter Valley - 1 night + a tour of the vineyards (must arrive early to meet the tour) - lovely stuff
    Coffs Harbour - 1 night - fairly quiet place but we had to stop
    Byron Bay - 2 nights - lovely place
    Gold Coast - 1 night - fine for a stop depends on what you want.
    Brisbane.

Tips:
    - Take the brown tourist drives if your time permits (and you have a car!).
    - Camping can be fun and camp sites are generally very well done, but not for everyone.
    - While the aquarium is excellent the next door wildlife park ain't great, stick with the zoo (if you are zooing at all)
    - Get a 7-day red-zone pass for Sydney it will take you most places except Manly.
    - Hit Watsons Bay before sunset for fish and chips and a great view of the harbour.
    - If ya fancy paddy whackery - hit The Cock and Bull (Bondi Jcn) or Scruffy Murphys (Surry Hills) ... IF!

Some great advice and tips folks. We decided to go as far north as Fraser Island, Will be done all the best spots in between. Got some good advice over the weekend about hostels etc

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Bondi / Bronte / Coogee Walk - beach time - lovely walk between too.

Along the way you have to walk through Waverly cemetery. Check out the Irish memorial. You cant really miss it as its the largest monumnet in the cemetery (once the largest grave monument in the whole of Australia). Its the resting place of one of the 1798 leaders (also has inscriptions for 1916 and the hunger strikers etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Heading over for a week in June, scored flights $440 return from Welly! Can anyone recommend a hostel somewhere central thats decent enough? Ive found loads through hostelword and google but they're all much of a muchness it seems, if anyone can recommend one over another i'd be gratefull.

you could try http://www.noahsbondibeach.com/ Noahs it's just in front of bondi..

I stayed in one just down the road from it on the beach front as well, I can't remember the name of it, it's right beside the Coyote Bar. Anywhere along the stip should be ok to stay...

Advertisement