Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rate of pay for a substitute teacher, am i being payed the right rate?

• 26-03-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

I would be grateful to anyone for help here.
    I have been working as a substitute teacher this school year. Roughly I have been working about 75% of the time as a substitute, and 25% as a supervisor. My rate of pay an hour is 42.99 euro. Looking at the department of education website, i fail to see how they come up with that figure.
    This is from the department of education website
    2. The rates payable to teachers for supervision in the 2008/2009 school year and the effective dates are as follows:

1st September 2008 - €50.34 per hour.

3. The rate payable to personnel employed solely for the purpose of supervision is €22.43 per hour effective from the 1st September 2008.

Id like to add at this point that i am a fully qualified teacher. Can anyone tell me if I am being underpayed and should be earning €50.34 an hour. Id just like to know my situation before i contact the department. Thanks again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Abstar

Well - I'm not from a teaching background or anything, but could they just be averaging out your wage:
    you work 75% as a sub - 3 out of every 4 hours
    you work 25% as a supervisor - 1 out of every 4 hours

3 x 50.34 = 151.02
    1 x 22.43 = 22.43
    Added together = 173.45 divided by 4 (to get your hourly average) = 43.36 (ish)

(Sums done in head so may not be accurate!!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The TUI site gives this class of pay:
    3. Qualified non-casual rate to teacher paid according to their own personal point on the incremental salary scale plus allowances divided by 735. This will give the personal hourly rate. There is no additional payment for holiday periods as this figure includes 56% holiday pay.

Could that be what you are on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

spurious wrote: »
    The TUI site gives this class of pay:
    3. Qualified non-casual rate to teacher paid according to their own personal point on the incremental salary scale plus allowances divided by 735. This will give the personal hourly rate. There is no additional payment for holiday periods as this figure includes 56% holiday pay.

Could that be what you are on?

Thats a possibilty alright. I must check that out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭freire

That looks to me as if you're being paid the unqualified rate maynooth. You won't be paid the full rate if you're not reg'ed with the TC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

freire wrote: »
    That looks to me as if you're being paid the unqualified rate maynooth. You won't be paid the full rate if you're not reg'ed with the TC.

Thats exactly it. Just started the process of registering with the Teaching Council now, and then i will get my back pay

• Advertisement
Advertisement