Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Fewer Passes Away

• 26-03-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

Waterford businessman Fewer dies at 60
    RTE link
    The death has been announced of Nicky Fewer, Freeman of Waterford city.

The 60-year-old, who was a leading businessman in the southeast and chairperson of Waterford Airport, had been battling cancer.

Mr Fewer was the 31st person to be granted the Freedom of Waterford and established an architectural practice in the city in 1975.

This is tragedy. No man has done as much for the city as Nicky Fewer. A heroic figure who tried his utmost to save and to promote the city at every opportunity.

Fewer was responsible, amongst numerous other things, for the Tall Ships, saving Waterford Airport, and recently was involved in an attempt to save crystal manufacturing in the city:

Waterford Crystal workers to meet on efforts to save plant
    Irish Times link
    Trade union Unite, the Government and various interested parties, including Waterford-based architect Nicky Fewer, are exploring proposals aimed at restarting manufacturing at the Kilbarry plant.

This was someone who could have won Waterford person of the year nearly every year. RIP.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Monica Leach being interviewed about him right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

This is a very black day for Waterford.
    Nickey Fewer was an incredible man.

Truly awful news.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Got a text this morning from one of the lads in his office and am still reeling from this news.

Had the pleasure of working with Nicky over the years on many projects and he was a gentleman to the core and always willing to give help.

He gave me advice me one time when I was changing jobs and was getting a bit of stick from my boss at the time for leaving......

The city will be lost without this man. He would put the all of the current bunch of politicians to shame.

Nicky RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

He had great drive and a real vision of the things he wanted to see happen in Waterford. Pity I, like most here probably, never got a chance to meet him and thank him for his hard work on all our behalves.

He'll be sorely missed.
    RIP

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Jesus, that is sad, I heard him on the radio the other day talking about Waterford Crystal and I remember saying to a work mate who was beside me at the time, that he really did not sound like a well man.

Deepest sympathies to his family and friends

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

A truly inspirational light of the city has gone out.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

That's an absolute terrible loss to his family and to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Jesus, that is sad, I heard him on the radio the other day talking about Waterford Crystal and I remember saying to a work mate who was beside me at the time, that he really did not sound like a well man.

Deepest sympathies to his family and friends

RIP

To think that he was working on setting up a crystal manufacturing presence in Kilbarry right up to the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Should really name the new Cable Stay Bridge after him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Bards wrote: »
    nice suggestion, probably one of the best candidates for the name of that bridge i've heard so far.
    fricatus wrote: »
    He had great drive and a real vision of the things he wanted to see happen in Waterford. Pity I, like most here probably, never got a chance to meet him and thank him for his hard work on all our behalves.

He'll be sorely missed.
    RIP
    same as, never met him but well aware of all he has done for waterford and from talking to everyone i know who knew him it's clear he was a true waterford legend. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

A sad irony that on the same day the Waterford Crystal furnace went out, Nicky Fewer died...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Man did so much for the city. Such a loss RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Excellent suggestion. Would an online petition hold much sway with the powers that be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

gscully wrote: »
    Excellent suggestion. Would an online petition hold much sway with the powers that be?

It certaintly can't hurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

It certaintly can't hurt

As it's your idea, do you fancy starting it? I'll gladly add my name to it. I'm sure some of the local websites like ciddytours and upthedeise would give it the attention it deserves too. Who knows, even the local papers might be interested in promoting the campaign??

Advertisement