Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to the Photography forum

• 26-03-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hello All :)

My first post on this forum! Well, I finally have a Canon 50D with 17-85 IS lens and Sigma 70-200 f2.8 on the way:D It's a relief to have it on its way. <<Snip>>

Anyway....

My main interest will be kitesurfing photography. I kitesurf myself so after a session would love to get some great shots, but I would also like to join a photography group to help me progress and allow me to get into all the other aspects of photography over time.

Anyway, to the point of my post :o. What I would really like is to join a club in the Limerick area to help me progress. Perhaps a club that also goes out and about?

I know there is the Limerick photography club, and I could be completely incorrect here but I get the impression they are mainly class based and most of the events are guest speakers etc. Does anyone know of any other club in the Limerick area?

Thanks for any advice you can give, and I am sure I will be on here asking some stupid questions in the future :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Welcome to the forum! Stick around and i'm damn sure youll learn a lot. I certainly have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Welcome along, I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice here both on the kitesurfing and all other types of photography.

List of camera clubs here, it lists two in Limerick, so I'd advise popping along and seeing which suits you better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

thanks for the welcome and the links. I will wait for the camera to arrive and get comfortable with it before checking out the clubs.

Looking forward to getting out there and taking some *hopefully* good pictures.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Welcome to the Forum.

Going along to the clubs & seeing which suits you best would be the way to go. There will probably be organised outings & events that members, but when you get involved you will probably meet other people with similar interests & you can organise to meet up yoursleves. That can also be done by getting to know people on this forum.

The advantage a club has is that can get the talks & learn that way. The advantage of this place is that we don't close. I am involved in both.

You should also talk to Calina as she has lots of experience photographing Kitesurfing. She can also explain how salt water & Canon's get along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

nilhg wrote: »
    List of camera clubs here, it lists two in Limerick, so I'd advise popping along and seeing which suits you better.

Theres actually four in Limerick (if you count UL photo soc)
    List of camera clubs in Ireland

A mod here Calina is big into kitesurfing, I'm sure she would willing to give advice/pointers etc. Her site: http://www.treasalynch.com/

Nearly forgot, welcome to Boards :)

[EDIT]

sorry CabanSail didn't see you already mentioned Calina

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. I have seen some of Treasa's shots on kitesurfing.ie before, now I know I am not going to get that good anytime soon! The problem I will have is kite first or shoot first :)

I was thinking of getting the SLR waterproof casing, the type that is almost like a waterproof bag around the body....just not sure how effective they are? I know it would be ok against the odd splash of water but what if I wanted to get into the thick of it so to speak....just not convinced it would take a Lahinch wave splashing against it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

anoble66 wrote: »
    The problem I will have is kite first or shoot first :)

I was thinking of getting the SLR waterproof casing, the type that is almost like a waterproof bag around the body....just not sure how effective they are? I know it would be ok against the odd splash of water but what if I wanted to get into the thick of it so to speak....just not convinced it would take a Lahinch wave splashing against it!

I used to do a lot of sailboarding. My arms would be not the steadiest after a session, so I would guess you might be better off taking the photos first.

Pity you have already bought the camera, The Olympus E3 is weather sealed and they make weather sealed lenses to match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Welcome along to the forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hiya.

Canon + Atlantic waves = tears. Speaking from experience.

Are you talking about the Aquapac wrapping? It's around 100E I think. You'll only be able to use it with the 17-85 I suspect. I'm ordering a new one because the one I have isn't really good enough optically. Full underwater casing is megabucks and I bought a Bandit Dos and board recently so the full underwater casing is out for the moment. But the Aquapac looks decent enough for splash protection in the water and it should float.

Me I tend to shoot if people I want to shoot are in the water, otherwise I go in the water first. Don't know what the Sigma 2.8 is like weightwise but if you're going to use a monopod, you won't need to worry so much about arm steadiness.

Hi there,

Thats right, the aquapac. But I think I will wait to see how I get on with shooting from the shoreline first. Once the bank balance recovers I want to get the 1.4 tele-converter to give me a bit more range....might not need the aquapac in that case.

might see you on the water around Lahinch sometime!
    thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement