Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eu wide education system

Options
  • 26-03-2009 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

personally i would like to see this, particulary when it comes to secondary(for us) education. it would make it much easier to apply to european colleges so greater possibilities.

what do you think and if against what reasons?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Take a close look at the EU Poster used in my Aviator. Notice how the people are made of bricks except for one small child. Some suggest that this could symbolizes a Euro wide education system with the included motto. "Many Tongues One Voice" http://fp.thebeers.f9.co.uk/images/Building_Site_poster.jpg

I personally would not like to see a Euro Wide educational system as it could end up with too much centralization although I would not have anything against collage and trade certs being compatible throughout the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Take a close look at the EU Poster used in my Aviator. Notice how the people are made of bricks except for one small child. Some suggest that this could symbolizes a Euro wide education system with the included motto. "Many Tongues One Voice" http://fp.thebeers.f9.co.uk/images/Building_Site_poster.jpg

A picture on which a large number of conspiracy theories have been built, not least by Run_to_da_hills - and a reminder that this is not the place for those theories.
    I personally would not like to see a Euro Wide educational system as it could end up with too much centralization although I would not have anything against collage and trade certs being compatible throughout the EU.

Even though the poster's reasons for opposing an EU-wide system are completely Dagenham, that's a not unreasonable position, and far more easily realised than an EU-wide system. The EU has already made moves towards mutual recognition of qualifications between member states, and of course has programs like Erasmus specifically to assist movement of students.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

acontadino wrote: »
    personally i would like to see this, particulary when it comes to secondary(for us) education. it would make it much easier to apply to european colleges so greater possibilities.

what do you think and if against what reasons?
    What would you ... oh wait, he's banned!

What would anyone see as the advantages?
    Scofflaw wrote: »
    Even though the poster's reasons for opposing an EU-wide system are completely Dagenham, that's a not unreasonable position, and far more easily realised than an EU-wide system. The EU has already made moves towards mutual recognition of qualifications between member states, and of course has programs like Erasmus specifically to assist movement of students.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Indeed, and there is the Bologna process in higher education; the "Diploma supplement"; NARIC as mentioned in that link; the European Qualifications Framework to assist translation between NQFs; etc., etc.

It is becoming easier and easier to move around Europe for educational purposes, and will become easier still in the future.

Tbh, that's the way I would see policy evolving ... ever-increasing compatibility and transferability between systems. The thought of an EU-wide / EU-controlled secondary education system is far from attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

There will be significant improvements in the ability to move cross country in terms of colleges after the Bolongo agreement comes into force. However secondary school education will always be imo, even if we had a federal state, a matter for the member states.

Advertisement