Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

horrors

Options
  • 26-03-2009 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

can someone recommend me a good classic horror tale??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

one of the originals has to be Dracula. Also Frankenstien. Any of Poe's books I would think would fit this also. The budget next week, sure to be lots of horror there!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

A Turn of the Screw by Henry James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 orangecake

+ 1 for Poe. Any of his short stories. The Tell-Tale Heart is classic. I love The Cask of Amontillado as well.

Sheridan Le Fanu is also very good. Carmilla is the original great vampire tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Seconding the Le Fanu recommendation.

Carmilla has definite lesbian undertones.

Melmoth The Wanderer is supposed to be great too - I've only ever read part of it. I must finish that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

M.R. James for the most chilling ghost stories ever put to paper.

H.P. Lovecraft for a more modern version of horror (and pretty much setting the tone for the 20th century in my opinion).

William Hope Hodgson's The House on the Borderland is great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

John wrote: »
    M.R. James for the most chilling ghost stories ever put to paper.

H.P. Lovecraft for a more modern version of horror (and pretty much setting the tone for the 20th century in my opinion).

William Hope Hodgson's The House on the Borderland is great too.

just recently got a collection of ghost stories by MR James, heard good things. usually wouldn't be hugely into horror/ghost stories, but quite looking forward to reading this..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Bag of Bones by Stephen King

creepy creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

just recently got a collection of ghost stories by MR James, heard good things. usually wouldn't be hugely into horror/ghost stories, but quite looking forward to reading this..

He's rather good I have to say. Great atmosphere and engaging style. Some of it is clichéd now but generally the stories still give me the chills. "Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad" gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

mud wrote: »
    Bag of Bones by Stephen King

creepy creepy

As much as I think King is the god of horror, this is far from a classic, either in terms of age (1998) or quality, he's written so much better, like Salem’s Lot or IT.

As people have already mentioned Poe and Lovecraft, I’d recommend Richard Matheson's I am Legend or Stir of Echoes (Both over 50 years old now, must constitute a classic ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

D-FENS wrote: »
    As much as I think King is the god of horror, this is far from a classic, either in terms of age (1998) or quality, he's written so much better, like Salem’s Lot or IT.
    )

I read this two weeks ago so it's still fresh in my mind, it's been about ten years since I've read any other King so this is the one I recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Agree with Lovecraft and Poe.

Also I liked James Herbert. Do John Connolly novels count as horror?

mud wrote: »
    I read this two weeks ago so it's still fresh in my mind, it's been about ten years since I've read any other King so this is the one I recommended

Fair enough.
    If you read a lot of King up until 10 years ago, you hav'nt missed much, not his best period. Cell is worth a read though, and the short story collection Everything's Eventual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

D-FENS wrote: »

As people have already mentioned Poe and Lovecraft, I’d recommend Richard Matheson's I am Legend or Stir of Echoes (Both over 50 years old now, must constitute a classic ;) )

Written like a true connoisseur of horror D-FENS! Must check out Stir of Echoes. Like the username.

Written like a true connoisseur of horror D-FENS! Must check out Stir of Echoes. Like the username.

Thanks, and i like Mustard too, although more as a condiment than a name :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

God, it's years since I read any of King's fiction. I loved Needful Things, 'Salems Lot, Carrie, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Bag of Bones, Rose Madder... more for my list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 falldowndrunk

i have a lot of books to read :pac: thank u

Advertisement