Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spectra complaint - need e-mail

Options
  • 26-03-2009 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭

I want to make a complaint about a certain Spectra store as they always close at lunch time - which is when most people get to go out to lunch and have a chance to drop photos in for development. It's not even a half hour break but a full 1hour+. I end up using a rival who are inferior.
    I know Spectra can be done online but I don't want to wait for delivery days, especially over a weekend. No shop should close on lunch, they should close (if necessary) at more convenient times or arrange cover.

I went to the website and there is no details to contact a head office. Does anyone know how I can do this? Ringing the shop will get nowhere as they only have young staff covering - who won't fancy telling their boss of any complaints.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Emailed complaints won't really be treated seriously. Why not write a letter to the store? Young staff are unlikely to open a letter addressed to "Store Manager"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Seriously? Shops can open whatever hours they want, and it's unlikely that one complaint will change their minds. I think the Spectra outlets are franchised anyway, so the only place to contact would be the particular store itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

jor el wrote: »
    Seriously? Shops can open whatever hours they want, and it's unlikely that one complaint will change their minds. I think the Spectra outlets are franchised anyway, so the only place to contact would be the particular store itself.

Ok, sure they can but what use is it closing a store at the most popular hour in the day in a town where many business' are struggling to stay open, and there being a rival a few doors down??
    It;s in their best interest to be open at this particular hour.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your serious right?, you want to complain about lunch time closing, hang on there while the staff don't get a break...sure they should stay open on Sundays too and hell they should even do 24hrs to suit you.

Its there decision to close at this time, I'm sure they are well aware of what costs are involved in running there own business...one customer complaining is not going to make it worth there while.

Go else where or just use on-line services....there cheaper anyway

Calm down there - I'm not getting fascist on when I think they should and should not be open.

And learn the difference between There, Their and They're.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Calm down there - I'm not getting fascist on when I think they should and should not be open.

That gets on my nerves too.
    So do certain opening hours actually.

Banks not open on Saturdays and closing at 4 for instance is annoying.
    Post office opening times can be worse, some close at 13:00 for the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Recommending that people use online services is not helping 'bricks and mortar' stores. I would like to think that business owners would be grateful for suggestions to improve their turnover and stay buoyant as much as possible during the recession. It doesn't have to be seen as a complaint. There's also no need for staff to work all day without a break - workers can take different and/or staggered lunchtimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It;s in their best interest ...
    *ahem* apostrophe *ahem*
    Ok, sure they can but what use is it closing a store at the most popular hour in the day in a town where many business' are struggling to stay open, and there being a rival a few doors down??
    It;s in their best interest to be open at this particular hour.

Back on topic though, you're still best off contacting the manager of the store itself, not Spectra, as I don't believe they will, or can, do anything. Tell the management you're puzzled why they would close at lunch time, and have no recourse but to use the (far cheaper) online services such as Bonusprint or Photobox, even though you would prefer to use a shop that you can call into.

My local Bank of Ireland closes from 12:30 to 2PM for lunch. They only open at 10AM, and they're closed again by 4PM. The AIB stays open at lunch, but leaves only 1 staff member on. They've been doing it for years, and I really doubt that it will ever change. They obviously see no benefit in opening, or having adequate staff levels for the lunchtime rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

it could be the case that they are already affected by the recession and are maybe down to using 1 staff member per shift?

if theyre doing this it would make sense to give the person a break from 2-3 but thats hardly your decision to make as a customer

nobodys going to work an 8hour shift without a break except maybe an owner or super hungry manager

why dont you go there at your 11am coffee break?

why dont you go there at 5pm when youre finished work?

why not use alternative means ?

its hardly a consumer "issue" that a minimum wage dogsbody is having a lunchbreak from 1-2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

have to say that it's not really the norm for shops to close for lunch nowdays, that would drive me nuts. but tbh using the online alternative would be a)cheaper and b) more convenient for you.

we don't close for lucnch where i work,but we do stagger breaks from 12 until 2. closing for lunch in the current climate is utter madness imho.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Great that instead of actually realizing how pointless your complaint would be you instead attack grammar. :rolleyes:

-10 points for you.

Your complaint will quickly be filed in a recycle bin, at least if your going to complain do it about something that people actually care about and affects people in a real way such as bank opening hours

Banks, unfortunately, aren't really any competition for each other and few people will change their bank without extreme provocation. The process of doing so is a nightmare and so Banks can all get away with treating their customers to the minimum amount of convenience :(
    Businesses, on the other hand, who want to attract and retain custom DO change to suit the needs of their customers.
    All businesses have customers who 'care' about the service provided - to dismiss the OPs position because it doesn't impact on you is unfair. I wonder why people reply to threads when it would appear that bashing the concerns expressed seems to take precedence over attempts to help? If you don't 'care' about the issue, would it not make more sense not to get involved :confused:

Banks, unfortunately, aren't really any competition for each other and few people will change their bank without extreme provocation. The process of doing so is a nightmare and so Banks can all get away with treating their customers to the minimum amount of convenience :(

Don't be so sure, Halifax open a saturdays as a selling point of the banks services
    Businesses, on the other hand, who want to attract and retain custom DO change to suit the needs of their customers.

Agreed, however shops will look at costs in respect of extra staff, lunch breaks, demand for its services etc when it comes to opening longer during a business day.

Obviously this business like any has looked at that and decided to close lunchtimes as a business decision, sure the OP can complain but its not going to do the business any good if they open and actually don't break even for that hour/half hour when it comes to the fact they'd need somebody to work and cover that period

Bottom line is if it made them money they;d be doing it already
    All businesses have customers who 'care' about the service provided - to dismiss the OPs position because it doesn't impact on you is unfair.

To expect a business to open during lunches for one whole customer is also unfair, a bit selfish of the op no?
    I wonder why people reply to threads when it would appear that bashing the concerns expressed seems to take precedence over attempts to help? If you don't 'care' about the issue, would it not make more sense not to get involved :confused:

This is not even a consumer issue, the business is not breaking any laws, has done nothing illegal or even out of the ordinary among business the world over.

Looking for head office details etc is abit over the top for such a insignificant concern

Cabaal wrote: »

To expect a business to open during lunches for one whole customer is also unfair, a bit selfish of the op no?

I don't think anyone would argue that opening for one customer isn't viable. But a lot of people take advantage of lunchtime to shop for goods and services and if no one flags this up to the business involved, they may not consider it as an option.
    A little in-store research to establish if working during lunch time is worthwhile wouldn't go amiss and the OPs input might well be very useful. From some of the responses on this thread it would appear that lunchtime opening IS a valuable service. And of course decisions must be based on both cost and staff availability.
    As for whether this is a consumer issue or not, perhaps some clarity from the relevant moderator would help me and others decide whether to post or not? My interpretation of the charter led me to believe that anything which affects consumers, including opening hours, is appropriate but I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't think anyone would argue that opening for one customer isn't viable. But a lot of people take advantage of lunchtime to shop for goods and services and if no one flags this up to the business involved, they may not consider it as an option.
    A little in-store research to establish if working during lunch time is worthwhile wouldn't go amiss and the OPs input might well be very useful. From some of the responses on this thread it would appear that lunchtime opening IS a valuable service. And of course decisions must be based on both cost and staff availability.
    As for whether this is a consumer issue or not, perhaps some clarity from the relevant moderator would help me and others decide whether to post or not? My interpretation of the charter led me to believe that anything which affects consumers, including opening hours, is appropriate but I'm open to correction.

Spectra was "born" in Listowel. If you think that it's going to make a blind bit of difference, here are the details:

Spectra Photo Listowel, Clieveragh Industrial Estate, Listowel

Tel:068 21464

As I live a few miles away, I'll listen out for the sound of raucous laughter coming from that neck of the woods. There may be someone there who might point you in the right direction, or not.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Spectra was "born" in Listowel. If you think that it's going to make a blind bit of difference, here are the details:

Spectra Photo Listowel, Clieveragh Industrial Estate, Listowel

Tel:068 21464

As I live a few miles away, I'll listen out for the sound of raucous laughter coming from that neck of the woods. There may be someone there who might point you in the right direction, or not.

In case you haven't read the entire thread, I am not the OP and I did not request the information :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In case you haven't read the entire thread, I am not the OP and I did not request the information :rolleyes:

My apologies - please forgive me for helping you against your will. :D

I help people whether they like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There can't be any harm in sending a letter outlining your thoughts to the store manager.

Print up a letter and send it to the store, marked FAO The Manager. You might also want to send a copy to the HQ in Listowel at the following address (marked for Head of Retail or something similar)

Spectra Group,
    Clieveragh Industrial Estate,
    Listowel,
    Co Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

jor el wrote: »
    My local Bank of Ireland closes from 12:30 to 2PM for lunch. They only open at 10AM, and they're closed again by 4PM. The AIB stays open at lunch, but leaves only 1 staff member on. They've been doing it for years, and I really doubt that it will ever change. They obviously see no benefit in opening, or having adequate staff levels for the lunchtime rush.

Not the best example.

People will use online banking if the bank is closed, it's free and people need the bank.

People don't nessecarily need a hard copy of their pics, everything is digital these days (or is it 35mm you're on about OP? In this case, get a digital camera, it's 2009!). If you want people to choose to use their service, closing during the only time they're able to do so is a bad move.

Either way, they don't have to open, I'd say they've thought of it by now. However by writing to them, you show that you have a problem and that others may have it too.

I agree that a letter would b taken more seriously. Paying for a stamp helps too rather than hand-delivering. Shows you could be arsed typing, printing and sending it, affording the stamp :pac: et al too, so youre probably well-meaning rather than a random moaner.

delllat wrote: »
    nobodys going to work an 8hour shift without a break except maybe an owner or super hungry manager

why dont you go there at your 11am coffee break?

why dont you go there at 5pm when youre finished work?

why not use alternative means ?

its hardly a consumer "issue" that a minimum wage dogsbody is having a lunchbreak from 1-2

I needed to get photos printed within the day, they offer a better service than their rival but lost out on the business because they shut up shop from 12 - 1:30. The 6 prints would have cost me around €30.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Don't be so sure, Halifax open a saturdays as a selling point of the banks services

Agreed, however shops will look at costs in respect of extra staff, lunch breaks, demand for its services etc when it comes to opening longer during a business day.

Obviously this business like any has looked at that and decided to close lunchtimes as a business decision, sure the OP can complain but its not going to do the business any good if they open and actually don't break even for that hour/half hour when it comes to the fact they'd need somebody to work and cover that period

Bottom line is if it made them money they;d be doing it already

This is not even a consumer issue, the business is not breaking any laws, has done nothing illegal or even out of the ordinary among business the world over.

Looking for head office details etc is abit over the top for such a insignificant concern

Cabaal - I am a consumer. I have a consumer issue. This is the correct forum to use so don't tell me what I should and shouldn't be writing about.

So what is your problem? Read back over the topic and see that most people agree that in this day and age/economic climate - especially with a small town where there are rival business' battling to stay open, it boggles the mind why a shop would close at it's potentially busiest hour. I'm not saying "stay open for me/take no lunch break", stay open for the bloody people who would be calling in to print photos or buy whatever else they need while on their lunch break (I live in a town with a large industrial estate – these people go to the shops at lunch). In this instance I wasn't in the position to wait around.

If you've got nothing constructive to say then don't bother saying anything or stirring the pot. I'm not blatantly being an a$$ over this, if I was then I'd be welcome to your juvenile posts but your opinion is in the minority on this so if you've nothing good to say from now on, go back and moderate your Heroes forum and bemoan how stupid the show is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Stupidest complaint, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Stupidest complaint, ever.

+1

its none of your business if the shop survives this current economic climate,absolutely not your concern

Advertisement