Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E71 Question/Issue

• 26-03-2009 3:05pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Two quick questions;
    1) Using the latest firmware for the phone, are there any hacks avaialble to bypass the certificate check for skins/extensions and the like? They all seem to be for older firmware.

2) Is it a bug in the firmware or is it a setting somewhere - the screensaver on the phone is currently the clock but it doesnt update itself. Dont recall this being on previous FW releases myself.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Using 100.07.76 myself, so fairly old, but not upgrading just yet for the reasons you've specified above, it seems the latest fw is completely unhackable, rendering it useless for testing homebrew/unsigned apps that are in development.

And I've had no problems with the clock screensaver - it updates as normal every minute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I also have an E71 questions so need to start a new thread. Firstly thanks for all the recommendations on the E71. Got my new one today. Well happy with it so far. Couple of things.

I cant get the audible tone to say there is new email waiting for me, just the little blinky light. Can anyone explain that?

Also, not mad about the backgrounds. But found a nice one at e71fanatics.
    http://www.e71fanatics.com/search/label/E71%20Themes

Is this ok to download from or will I end up getting 20 texts a week at €20 a text inviting me to sample all sorts?

Finally, that signature 'sent using my blackberry' is that on the E71?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Hi preset no. 3 just so you know if you go onto www.zedge.net you can download skins for the e71 from your phone, some nice ones on it. However you must register first from your computer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Unlikely they will work on latest firmware. Will get certificate errors. Most websites have that problem anyway

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sully wrote: »
    Unlikely they will work on latest firmware. Will get certificate errors. Most websites have that problem anyway
    What sort of certificate errors? Certificate expired?

• Advertisement

Bought my new E71 yesterday and this is the firmware version thats on it. Does that strike you as been a bit off? 100.07.76 June 2008

So to upgrade the firmware, what do I do? Will it change anything I already have set up on the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

To update software you have to download the Nokia software updater program. Then just plug in your phone with the cable provided and it'll take you through all the steps necessary. To save all your settings and data just back them up using Nokia PC Suite then restore everything once the software update is complete.

I'm currently on 200.21.118 (27-11-2008) and havent had any problems with it at all. Haven't tried to install any unsigned apps though?

I must be getting old cos that sounds waaaaaay too complicated! :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Never trust PC Suite - back up your data to your memory card also.

Its easy enough to update, just plug in the phone and run the updater. :) There is newer firmware out then is being used here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I must be getting old cos that sounds waaaaaay too complicated! :eek:

No, it's very easy, really!
    On the phone click on tools, then 'memory'. In options you can then backup you're phone's data and settings to the memory card.
    Then start the nokia pc suite on your pc. Connect the phone to your pc with the usb cabe. On your phone screen you see options to connect for mass storage, pc suite, share internet! Pick 'pc suite'.

Once the phone is recognised by the pc suite on your pc click on the software update icon (it's a module of the pc suite). The suite will check online if there is a suitable update available for your e71. Well, from there it's a doddle.
    Make sure you have a sim in the phone and that it's fully charged!(if the battery goes flat during the update, you're screwed).

Once the update is done the phone restarts. Go to settings/tools/memory and left button=options. Click restore phone from card. Now your backed up contacts, apps, themes etc will be restored to the phone's memory!

• Advertisement
Advertisement