Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the fg answer

Options
  • 26-03-2009 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Finally we see some sort of response beyond heckling from fg

http://feeds.breakingnews.ie/~r/bnireland/~3/wchoK8n_1aY/

In brief "FG proposes €11bn plan to create 100,000 jobs"

Wonder where the 11bn is coming from?

They're also saying "broadband, bio-energy, water provision and the development of a greener-homes initiative" should be top of the piority list

I donno, I think I'm just very cynical, but they're just spouting what other people have been saying
    (But I did vote for them in the last elections)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The FG answer, I thought it was 42 :eek:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

To be fair, FG have hardly been in hiding or dodging the bullet like Labour. FG have proposed a good bit inclusive with heckling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

here's a bit more detail on the proposal http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0326/economy.html

Including this pdf - http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0326/rebuilding-ireland.pdf

Surprisingly well written :eek:, well thought out idea's, like borrowing from the EU and the pension fund to pay for it instead of touching the IMF. Publicly owned companies but ones that pay back the to private investors who help to fund it

The have my vote* I'd even put up with Enda running the country :D

* If they actually produce it, if they don't well I know where I can get a gun

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

I heard Enda the Road Kenny on Radio 1 at lunch time , That man couldnt sell free condoms in a Brothel he is soooo bad at getting a point across and has zero persona . FG need to promote him sideways quick smart if they want to be in with any chance at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Think the thread starter hit it on the head - a rehash of old ideas but at least they are trying i suppose which is something.

I have definitely heard the state bond idea brought up on prime time or q+a but just cant put my finger on it. And it was by an analyst rather than a politician. Also I don't think the "€6 billion annual payments for fossil fuel imports towards domestic renewable energy industries" can happen in the time frame they project.

The ideas behind renewable energy are all reworded old ideas. I'd even go as far as to say they were brought up long before the economic mess we are in and green party ideals? (until they sold their souls to bertie).

And as for the new semi-state body the are proposing 'renewable energy ireland'? (as in sustainable energy ireland?) Surely just give those new responsibilities to SEI. the experts should already be there without the need for another bloody semi-state body!

I dont have time to read any more of it but as i said at least they are trying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

They'd be certain to win the next election if it wasn't for Enda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Sean_K wrote: »
    They'd be certain to win the next election if it wasn't for Enda.

I voted for them, but had severe misgiving's about Enda, esp with the election posters of him with what looked a bit like action mans face:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I voted for them, but had severe misgiving's about Enda, esp with the election posters of him with what looked a bit like action mans face:D

and plastic hair

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Darsad wrote: »
    I heard Enda the Road Kenny on Radio 1 at lunch time , That man couldnt sell free condoms in a Brothel he is soooo bad at getting a point across and has zero persona . FG need to promote him sideways quick smart if they want to be in with any chance at the next election.

Yeah I guess he is not in the same league as biffo.
    So you would vote for biffo et al at the next election then ?
    BTW can't remember seeing any potraits of Enda holding either his y-fronts or a bog roll :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Well I was always adamant on not voting for them only because they were offering NOTHING. But now that I can see progress Ill rethink my next vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Was delighted to hear FG's proposal.

Better to spend on employment ,rather than on unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

yeah I voted for them too.but I didnt rate them very highly.I just tought it was unhealthy for our democracy for fianna fail to get in AGAIN.how right I was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

he couldnt inspire wet weather in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

You'd think they might of come up with something like this when they were trying to get into government

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

SeaFields wrote: »
    Think the thread starter hit it on the head - a rehash of old ideas but at least they are trying i suppose which is something.

I have definitely heard the state bond idea brought up on prime time or q+a but just cant put my finger on it. And it was by an analyst rather than a politician. Also I don't think the "€6 billion annual payments for fossil fuel imports towards domestic renewable energy industries" can happen in the time frame they project.

The ideas behind renewable energy are all reworded old ideas. I'd even go as far as to say they were brought up long before the economic mess we are in and green party ideals? (until they sold their souls to bertie).

And as for the new semi-state body the are proposing 'renewable energy ireland'? (as in sustainable energy ireland?) Surely just give those new responsibilities to SEI. the experts should already be there without the need for another bloody semi-state body!

I dont have time to read any more of it but as i said at least they are trying!

Agree with you. Personally I would like to see the ESB broken up, to try instill some competition into the market, and they are talking about setting up a new semi-state body to oversee the existing ones?

But as you said, at least they are trying to come up with ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

yeah, i didn't have the time to read the thing fully but even just a quick glance at their document i saw an awful lot of reworded new things. Possibly the way they pull together the old ideas with new ways to finance them has some merit. (although not necessarily the ideas themselves if ya know what i mean!)

Being honest these would be very good ideas had they been proposed 5 or 6 years ago when we had money to reduce our energy import reliance and for the employment initiates.

Perhaps this thing had been gathering dust in Enda filing cabinet and he decided to throw it out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Borstal Boy

There's nothing new in any of these proposals. The Tories tried them in the eighties and we know how that worked out. Selling profitable government assets in a depressed market is nothing more than a firesale of taxpayer's assets, and will just create a shortfall in government revenue in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

That man couldnt sell free condoms in a Brothel

I dont think anyone could sell free condoms.

But while many are accusing them of coming up with no ideas - well that's just deluded. I dont know, what with that Faircare proposal, why people insist on thinking they've no solution.

But, in opposition, I dont see why the government has to own so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You'd think they might of come up with something like this when they were trying to get into government

Necessity is the mother of invention as they say. Being in opposition gives you time to hone your ideas and plans. The incumbents are wedded to their "policies" and any new ones have been overtaken by events. Any Government plans come across as rushed, reactive and just downright lousy. As I've said before I think FF are also handicapped by a dearth of talent and far too many years in government.

The opposition read the numbers before the last election. FG decided that the anaemic "contract with the people" was the way to go and both themselves and Labour and the Greens blithely assumed they'd be the next government. They didn't really offer an alternative, nor offer enough realistic policies to the electorate, which meant that the "how could you trust them" attack worked well enough. The "allsorts" coalition were close but the real master stroke was getting the Greens to join FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's nothing new in any of these proposals. The Tories tried them in the eighties and we know how that worked out. Selling profitable government assets in a depressed market is nothing more than a firesale of taxpayer's assets, and will just create a shortfall in government revenue in the long run.

A lot of overused clichés in here. Many ideas are just reworked anyway. What do you suggest so?

• Advertisement
Advertisement