Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU - mainboard

Options
  • 26-03-2009 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭

Ok boards, I need a question answered.

I have a new PSU and a fairly old mainboard.
    My last 2 PSUs had a little 3 pin connector to give power the a socket called which I believe is for the CPU fan.
    The new one does not.

So, has there been a change in the standard connections for PSUs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Ok boards, I need a question answered.

I have a new PSU and a fairly old mainboard.
    My last 2 PSUs had a little 3 pin connector to give power the a socket called which I believe is for the CPU fan.
    The new one does not.

So, has there been a change in the standard connections for PSUs?

CPU fan is by via the motherboard normaly. As is the sytem fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I have a Asus P5B motherboard and a OCZ 1KW ProXStream Powersupply.

What are the odds that the CPU fan just died right when I installed the PSU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

you connected the fan connector from the psu to the cpufan pin ?

Anti wrote: »
    you connected the fan connector from the psu to the cpufan pin ?

I make no claims of being a hardware wizard, but this worked since 2006.

attachment.php?attachmentid=75763&stc=1&d=1238087206

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Please tell me that diagram was a wind-up.

If not can you please tell me how hard is it really to get broadband in the afterlife? I'm presuming you are in the afterlife, after wiring up the PSU to a fan header and dying in the ensuing explosion? :D

You're pointing to a case fan header. You motherboard has more than one. As do most. But trying to connect PSUs to them usually ends up in FAIL. How did you manage it exactly?? There's no 3-pin Molex cables on a PSU... (well, there's one or two on the inside usually, but you're not allowed in there! :P)

I think you might be confusing the fan pin headers with the ATX12V connector - the big square fella that connects to the 4-pin ATX12V connector that is hiding a little bit down from the top-right of your mobo, a bit below the PS2 port connector block at the top. That has nothing to do with fans. But everything to do with making your computer work. No idea how you could physically connect it to a much smaller 3-pin fan header though... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Solitaire wrote: »
    Please tell me that diagram was a wind-up.

If not can you please tell me how hard is it really to get broadband in the afterlife? I'm presuming you are in the afterlife, after wiring up the PSU to a fan header and dying in the ensuing explosion? :D

You're pointing to a case fan header. You motherboard has more than one. As do most. But trying to connect PSUs to them usually ends up in FAIL. How did you manage it exactly?? There's no 3-pin Molex cables on a PSU... (well, there's one or two on the inside usually, but you're not allowed in there! :P)

I think you might be confusing the fan pin headers with the ATX12V connector - the big square fella that connects to the 4-pin ATX12V connector that is hiding a little bit down from the top-right of your mobo, a bit below the PS2 port connector block at the top. That has nothing to do with fans. But everything to do with making your computer work. No idea how you could physically connect it to a much smaller 3-pin fan header though... :confused:
    The only thing that might be small enough to fit would be the connection for the floppy drive but that should not fit even with force.
    OP i dont know what exactly you have done but if its only the fan that borked count yourself very lucky.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Fail.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

It's for PSUs that allow you to monitor the RPM of the PSU fan. It doesn't power the PSU fan.
    If there's no cable coming from the PSU to fit that header then don't worry about it, it's just another header you can use for a different fan.
    The reason it's labeled is for the software within the BIOS and within windows to identify each fan and display it's status.

There was a little 3-pin connector that fitted perfectly onto it.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=75811&stc=1&d=1238165018
    The red arrow points to the end of the cable, blue & black twisted, connects to a 3 pin plug, fitted perfectly onto the socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Like I said, it's so your motherboard can monitor the status of the PSU fan....

• Advertisement

SickBoy wrote: »
    Like I said, it's so your motherboard can monitor the status of the PSU fan....

So it's just my CPU fan that is busted?
    Whew...

Advertisement