Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cigarettes rise again!!!!!! Or maybe not!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 mc01a

i think it's stupid when the way the irish government is in trouble all they do is rase prices, but still dey hand money out in ways of benifit etc(to the people that don't deserve it)

but back to the thread, i no non smokes don't realy care, but if they do rase the price of cigs what are they goin to rase next, drink etc,

i think myself i will b reducing, if i can i will try stop,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

€2 increase on a pack will mean the Irish tax man will get LESS money from me.
    That's exactly what will happen, more people will just go up north and black market sales will increase.

When will this government learn that putting prices up will not get us out of this mess, it will just worsen it :rolleyes: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

A few years ago I was regularly buying cigs online. The delivery one day was accompanied by a customs officer who demanded the duty owed in order for me to receive the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

I don't smoke but i think its absolute robbery, no wonder people bring so many smokes back from holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

I think they should up the price to €20 a pack. For one thing it would solve all those awkward moments when someone says "can I 'borrow' a smoke?". Now you easily can reply "sure, that'll be €1 please".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Going abroad to spain as a solution is retarded. Tax on fuel that goes into the plane,paye/prsi for the staff, airport tax, corporation tax on the profits.....ye you're really sticking it to the government! :rolleyes:

The extra €150 in my pocket after airfare is retarded? Sounds like someone
    missed a day in maths class. I don't care about the tax on air fuel or such like,
    I'm not paying it and the air fares are as cheap as chips.

Plus I work for a multinational company, always people flying around
    Europe on business or pleasure who will bring me back a carton or two
    each week. Summer time coming, loads of people going abroad on holidays
    and who will happily throw a carton in their suitcase.
    At €100 a carton here it'll even work out cheaper to drive to Newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Relevant wrote: »
    Within the EU you are

You can't. I thought so too but you can't.

Has to be a "reasonable amount".

Usually max 1000 cigs, often less.

100 packages would be 20,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Why dont they put tax on fatty foods and mcdonalds then all the grease mongers will actually start to worry about their own health and implications than care about smokers... WE KNOW WE ARE DYING!!! big schwing we are ALL DYING!

is it illegal to grow your own tobacco? not( marijuana) actual tobacco?

i personally only buy cigs when my 'friend' has run out... €35 / €81 i know exactly where will always buy them from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Alcohol and tobacco allowances for travellers to Ireland from EU

Cigarettes 800
    Cigarillos 400
    Cigars 200
    Smoking tobacco 1kg

There ya go

But wait there's more.
    There is a lower limit on the countries with the cheapest prices.
    A poster mentioned Riga, yep that's covered here.
    Seems they've thought of everything!
    There are specific limits on the amount of tobacco products allowed that have been purchased in the following EU countries:

Estonia - 200 cigarettes OR 250g smoking tobacco
    Bulgaria, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia - 200 cigarettes

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/travel-to-ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

mc01a wrote: »
    (question time)
    how many do you smoke a day?? None
    and will this price now make you reduce or quit?? N/A
    What do you think of this price rase now?? Fantastic!
    Thats what i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

the price of cigarettes are rising again by€2, planned for next week,

for a pack of cigarettes it will now cost €10.10.

i smoke myself and i think this is f*ckin crazy. €10 for a pack of smokes, F*CK That

(question time)
    how many do you smoke a day??
    and will this price now make you reduce or quit??
    What do you think of this price rase now??

oh and that feckin wretch from ASH etc saying it won't fuel illegal cigs, why doesn't she fuck herself off a cliff?

I am in the process of giving up (past 3 years).

Need to stay off the drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

the price of cigarettes are rising again by€2, planned for next week,

for a pack of cigarettes it will now cost €10.10.

So where did you get this news? Unless I see it in writing I don't believe it.
    Because that would actually make people quit which is not what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Exneigh

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    The drink will get hit as well. It's just easier to tax junkies :)

You're not wrong... we might even recoup the money we lost getting mugged through an aggressive taxation of Heroine and Charlie!

Why dont they put tax on fatty foods
    Have you not seen a photo of the Taoiseach or the Minister for Health?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

realcam wrote: »
    So where did you get this news? Unless I see it in writing I don't believe it.
    Because that would actually make people quit which is not what they want.

And an increase in tobacco prices will lead to an increase in inflation
    which is exactly what the government wants to avoid during pay discussions with unions and civil servants.

ASH looking for a price rise is like asking Muslims should we ban Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I'm so happy about the price hike. Hate when people smoke around me!!! :D

Smokers are jokers people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Non-smoker and delighted at the news that cigs are up to €10 a pack.

I hope they go up €1 per year until they're phased out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

€8 pints of Guinness FTW :D

Just an idea !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

See I moved in with a couple of smokers because I had been feeling a bit down and you know what? They have no good jokes. The miserable bastards haven't made me laugh once.

Feck that for a game of checkers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

yeah they're scrimping and saving so they can afford more cancer sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm so happy about the price hike. Hate when people smoke around me!!! :D

Fcuk, I hate people that think they're superior to smokers. Do people make a habit of "smoking around you"? Are your legs working? You could just go somewhere else but then you couldn't get all uppity about how you're such a better person than those around you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I roll my own. I bought a box of amber leaf today with change. There's not a ****ing chance ill for over a tenner for smokes. The greedy ****ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Scien wrote: »
    I hate it when fatties sit beside me on public transport but whaddaya gonna do.

Ooooh touchy.

I hope they go up €1 per year until they're phased out.

It'd be quicker to just round them all up and shoot them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Its all alright folks, I just phoned my drug dealer and he tells me he will now be selling tobacco instead of cocaine. Better profit/risk ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

I think the latest price increase is a disgrace.

It should be at least doubled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

Fcuk, I hate people that think they're superior to smokers. Do people make a habit of "smoking around you"? Are your legs working? You could just go somewhere else but then you couldn't get all uppity about how you're such a better person than those around you

Don't think there is any evidence to suggest that the poster considers themselves to be superior. They just don't like people to smoke around them. Fair enough considering it stinks. Not to mention the impact passive smoking can have aon a persons health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Wait a minute...is this 2 euro rise a certainty or are you's just saying you's think its going to happen?
    I swear, the government are going to lose some amount of money if they do raise them by 2 quid. I dont smoke myself but if I did I'd be straight over the border to stock up big time! When I go to Spain in the summer I plan to take home as much as possible and sell them to my brothers friend.
    Out of interest, how much do they nomally rise if there is an increase? 50 cent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm beginning to seriously wonder why I contribute to this country with my taxes. I'm not getting a good service and I'll be damned if their getting more out of me.

Advertisement