Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cigarettes rise again!!!!!! Or maybe not!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Non-smoker and delighted at the news that cigs are up to €10 a pack.

I hope they go up €1 per year until they're phased out.
    I'm a non-smoker myself but I think the €2 is the wrong thing to do, it's not going to generate more revenue, for the north it will but not here :rolleyes:

And as for phasing them out, where will that lose in revenue come from then ?

It's a personal choice to smoke and to quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

lukasbasic wrote: »
    1. book ryanair.com to Poland, Hungary or any other east eu contry (any cheap fare you get 30eu all incl)
    2. get 100 packages of your favourite brand + weekend hotel, spa, girls, rent a car get dental work
    3. come back - you still save 50% and have cigarettes for 6 months
    I know a guy that does this. Gets a Ryanair flight to Malaga, picks up smokes at airport and heads home for next to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Flying abroad to clog up your lungs and arteries for half price, in the mistaken belief that you're saving money.

And they said DeNial was a river in Egypt.

-signed, an ex-smoker who has no problem with smokers provided they have at least some footing in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

My other half is a smoker, though I daren't bring up the topic with her for fear of my own life and liberty ;)

The problem is that the cost of smoking doesn't make people stop smoking. They have to want to. I believe there's an excellent book by a guy called Alain Corr (Carr? Not the comedian, anyway, it's a lot older than that) that's quite effective.

How and ever, I do agree that smokers can fe*k off complaining, it's a lifestyle choice, and one that affects other people to boot. So, politely, stop complaining.

As for buying abroad, I go on a lot of business trips to the EU and will buy my other half her fix. In Holland, for example, they're about half the price in the airport for EU travelers. I always get 400, and they last her many weeks (she's about 10-15 a day.)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Kiera wrote: »
    I know a guy that does this. Gets a Ryanair flight to Malaga, picks up smokes at airport and heads home for next to nothing.
    He doesn't even go to the beach or have a paella?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

Scien wrote: »
    I hate it when fatties sit beside me on public transport but whaddaya gonna do.

Unless these fatties are sitting on you I don't think the health impacts are comparable!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Fcuk, I hate people that think they're superior to smokers.
    We are, get used to it. Enjoy your taxes.

an ex-smoker
    Nothing worse :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I knew this would happen. Anti-smokers tend to be pretty ignorant, self centered and anal. How do they getting their own way? Because the boys in power are the exact same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't pay taxes, I buy mine in the UK. Enjoy paying my medical expenses =p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 mc01a

Scien wrote: »
    I hate it when fatties sit beside me on public transport but whaddaya gonna do.

charge them double a standard ticket, and raise the price on fatty food,
    that would solve that problem.

^^^^ that is the same thing as rising the price on cigs, putting taxes up during a recision is crazy, people will either stop or just start getting them black market. it will just cause more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

All thses people sang "I'M NOT PAYING €10 . . BORDER . . . BLACK MARKET . ... SPAIN . . . RABBLE RABBLE"

Yes you will. You'll be the same people saying "I'M NOT PAYING €15..." in a few years. You're already paying 8 something its hardly a massive jump.

Just roll tobacco

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

mc01a wrote: »
    ^^^^ that is the same thing as rising the price on cigs, putting taxes up during a recision is crazy, people will either stop or just start getting them black market. it will just cause more problems.
    Much more problems. Not only are they taking the money away from the state, they're putting it right into the hands of criminals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't pay taxes, I buy mine in the UK. Enjoy paying my medical expenses =p

I don't pay any tax, enjoy paying my eh, yeah, enjoy that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Alcatel wrote: »

The problem is that the cost of smoking doesn't make people stop smoking. They have to want to. I believe there's an excellent book by a guy called Alain Corr (Carr? Not the comedian, anyway, it's a lot older than that) that's quite effective.

Allen Carr died of cancer.... that guy got hypnotherapy he's a waster, writes allsorts of self-help self-guide books taping into more of the modern culutres self-obsseseed idea that their are guides to making your life better.. hasnt a clue...
    my friend his books and he's after readin bout 3 of them and still reckons they are BS but hoping to find that one-liner, that epiphany to save his life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

Nothing worse :rolleyes:

Don't knock it till you've tried it

It's true, you are better than me and all the level 1 - 3 engineers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

Allen Carr died of cancer.... that guy got hypnotherapy he's a waster, writes allsorts of self-help self-guide books taping into more of the modern culutres self-obsseseed idea that their are guides to making your life better.. hasnt a clue...
    my friend his books and he's after readin bout 3 of them and still reckons they are BS but hoping to find that one-liner, that epiphany to save his life!
    Well, I'm just basing it on the fact that it worked for two people I know. Each to his/her own.

geuro wrote: »
    Don't knock it till you've tried it
    Meh, i'm not ready to quit yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I don't smoke other than when I'm on the razz but I despise self righteous non smokers. What about this ASH crowd? Why are they so sad that they want this raise so badly? They're like the kids in school who remind the teacher to give homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Only problem with this is the timing with strikes and union talks.
    I'm sure there'ld be a lot of cranky bus drivers and union reps who are smokers.... might've been worth holding back on the cig price increase news until after the negotiations were finished.

It's true, you are better than me and all the level 1 - 3 engineers.

and don't you forget it!

I've hear tell there is a level 5 somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Idiots, they're just gonna send people over the border. Seriously, ****ING IDIOTS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

Has this been confirmed or is it all speculation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Akantha

I may be forced into crime to fund my habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Akantha

and don't you forget it!

Did you sell off those shares you jammy git? :P

and don't you forget it!

Would it be on top of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Meh, i'm not ready to quit yet.

It is if you work in the city centre. I'm quitting not just due to price increase but due to that knacks begging for smokes off me everyday. "Gots a 'moke buddddd?". Nearly every time i go for a smoke i have to tell some cnut to fcuk off!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Would it be on top of this.
    A smoker would never be able to get up on that!

Advertisement