Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cigarettes rise again!!!!!! Or maybe not!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

grasshopa wrote: »
    Idiots, they're just gonna send people over the border. Seriously, ****ING IDIOTS!
    One big road to Newry, slap a big checkpoint on it (with about two guards actually on the road) for tax, insurance, car safety, make sure everyone has paper tricolours going north, see how far the tailback goes and that'll end pretty quick ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

humanji wrote: »
    A smoker would never be able to get up on that!
    Because they are there already! :pac:

The experiments have gone awry!
    http://www.artwww.net/mcarney/images/High%20Horse.jpg
    Akantha wrote: »
    Did you sell off those shares you jammy git? :P

How you know about my shares, mmm gonna make 100k easy muahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I never smoked in my life, but the smugness of the other non smokers on here is sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Akantha

How you know about my shares, mmm gonna make 100k easy muahah

Read it on the pokers board. Nice touch!

Sell! Sell! Sell!! Ya mad thing.

Still fair play buying them at that price. If I had the money I would have too. I'd have sold most of them off though at this stage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Quint wrote: »
    I never smoked in my life, but the smugness of the other non smokers on here is sickening.

completely agree, Id like to see the reaction from the same people if they added 2 euro to the price of a pint, " but you dont have to drink".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They went up like 70, 000E in value in a few days, pretty ridiculous. Good ole america, pump that money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm so happy about the price hike. Hate when people smoke around me!!! :D

Smokers are jokers people.

Meh, the thing is the amount of smokers will most likely not decrease.

For example, after the smoking ban was brought in the number of smokers increased. The gov dont want to stop people smoking, because if they do there goes bye-bye revenue. If you cannot see that then you are only joking yourself!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

tech2 wrote: »
    that in turn will lead to another deficit to the government so they will increase futher again to plug the hole in their finances. Itll be 12 euro next year if people take your attitude towards buying cigs.

Maybe they should reduce the tax's then ? I know, they could slap a bed tax on cancer patients, just to make up for any shortfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Alcatel wrote: »
    One big road to Newry, slap a big checkpoint on it (with about two guards actually on the road) for tax, insurance, car safety, make sure everyone has paper tricolours going north, see how far the tailback goes and that'll end pretty quick ;)

Heh, yeah, see how long it is before they turn off at Dundalk and head for Culloville/Crossmaglen/Forkhill etc. 10 minutes from the motorway. Or are you advocating a checkpoint on every road? It'd be like the 70's again. Say you weren't in Antrim or Craigavon lately were you?

Simple answer is to get mates to bring some back from holidays. In Lanzarote I got 200 Desert Gold for under a fiver. Brought about 5000 home. Customs guy told me I was only allowed 8 sleeves but let me take the lot through. Might not get that lucky again.
    AFAIK Belfast Airport allow 8 sleeves per person. :)

wylo wrote: »
    completely agree, Id like to see the reaction from the same people if they added 2 euro to the price of a pint, " but you dont have to drink".

Exactly. You'd almost think the government was doing a good job by some peoples reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

more money for mr Brown.:rolleyes:

Accoring to that customs website:
    If you exceed these quantities, you may have to demonstrate at Customs that the goods are for your personal use.
    Anyone know how to do this?

Smoke 10 as you are walking up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Quint wrote: »
    Accoring to that customs website:

Anyone know how to do this?

Customs are talking about people importing a van full of wine from say
    France and claiming it's for a wedding or party. Customs may look for
    proof that there is a wedding (eg hotel booking, church booking, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

start smoking rollies

go abroad, and get a six month supply for 120 euro (completely legal)

only an idiot would pay 10 euro for 20 smokes. its a fools tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 herr0

Complete idocracy (aswell as being a blatantly opressive).

One in four cigarettes consumed in ireland today is already illegal.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0319/breaking57.htm

I only hope that figure goes up even more when this happens. I hope the government actually lose money because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Every budget there's some group calling for 2 quid being put on fags and it never happens. The government have learned with the VAT debacle that people will head north, and they have to know that if they slap 2 quid on a box of fags then everyone will be bringing back smokes for their mates as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Duiske wrote: »
    Maybe they should reduce the tax's then ? I know, they could slap a bed tax on cancer patients, just to make up for any shortfall.

smoking already brings well in excess of what additional expense it places on the health system. oh and by the way, that additional expense on the health sustem is actually: a lie. it doesn't exist.

smokers die faster, heart attack, agressive cancer, over the course of their lives they spend much less time in hospital and resources than the average non smoker, who tend to be more likely to spend the last of their dementia fueled years in state care because they can't look after themselves.

oh and not to mention, smokers die younger, which means less drain on the welfare system (in the form of state pensions, which are a rapidly growing expense) and is the best counter available against the increasing dependency ratio of an ageing population.

in short: non-smokers are scum who drag the rest of the population down with them as they get older :D three cheers for smokers i say!

The solution lies not in punishing smokers or making cigarettes illegal, but in making nicotine replacement products a hell of a lot more available and easy to get (i.e sell them in shops and petrol stations not just in chemists) and encouraging people to swap over to them as a long term option, not just if they need help giving up.

This would lead to a dramatic drop in price (as it did in new zealand with nicotine gum) thus making nicotine replacement products a more viable alternative to tobacco.

herr0 wrote: »
    I hope the government actually lose money because of this.
    :rolleyes: Whether you smoke or not, why on earth would you want that, its your money ffs!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

amacachi wrote: »
    Every budget there's some group calling for 2 quid being put on fags and it never happens. The government have learned with the VAT debacle that people will head north, and they have to know that if they slap 2 quid on a box of fags then everyone will be bringing back smokes for their mates as well.
    I hope they have learned a valuable lesson but to be honest I don't think they’re that intelligent, we'll just have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

smoking already brings well in excess of what additional expense it places on the health system. oh and by the way, that additional expense on the health sustem is actually: a lie. it doesn't exist.

smokers die faster, heart attack, agressive cancer, over the course of their lives they spend much less time in hospital and resources than the average non smoker, who tend to be more likely to spend the last of their dementia fueled years in state care because they can't look after themselves.

oh and not to mention, smokers die younger, which means less drain on the welfare system (in the form of state pensions, which are a rapidly growing expense) and is the best counter available against the increasing dependency ratio of an ageing population.

in short: non-smokers are scum who drag the rest of the population down with them as they get older :D three cheers for smokers i say!

Glad to see I'm not the only person on this thread who understands basic economics and cost-benefit analysis. ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Ooher missus. It's the clouds of smug that I am choking on after reading this thread folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Glad to see I'm not the only person on this thread who understands basic economics and cost-benefit analysis. ;)
    +1

chrism2007 wrote: »
    start smoking rollies

go abroad, and get a six month supply for 120 euro (completely legal)

only an idiot would pay 10 euro for 20 smokes. its a fools tax

that would require discipline though, firstly youd have to avoid spending any other money (except for flights etc)
    Not to mention the fact that you smoke way more if you have a bigger supply.
    And last but not least, rollies are a pain in the hole , even if it only takes 15 secs to roll, and they taste horrible

herr0 wrote: »
    The solution lies not in punishing smokers or making cigarettes illegal, but in making nicotine replacement products a hell of a lot more available and easy to get (i.e sell them in shops and petrol stations not just in chemists) and encouraging people to swap over to them as a long term option, not just if they need help giving up.

This would lead to a dramatic drop in price (as it did in new zealand with nicotine gum) thus making nicotine replacement products a more viable alternative to tobacco.

if nicotine replacements actually worked the world would have stoped smoking long ago. they are simply an empty cash cow that have been found to be little more effective than placebos. you'd simply be transferring money from the government to the big pharmaceutical companies, who don't need anymore help than you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Yea rollies suck.

Yea rollies suck.

i actually prefer them. Cigarettes leave a metallic taste with me, its kinda like eating tinned fruit. lucky for me they are cheaper too :)

wylo wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Whether you smoke or not, why on earth would you want that, its your money ffs!!!!

Don't smoke. And i really meant "lose out on money".

why? well, they need to be taught a lesson if they think can just go around the place bullying and victimising certain groups in society.

In england there was opressive taxes on tea which lead to smuggling. No amount of executions or punishments could dent the roaring black market in tea (yeah, kinda funny when you think about it). Eventually after decades of coming down harder and harder on the criminals involved they gave up and everyone was better off (except for the criminals but no-one cares about them).

It's demand that drives economics, whether it's tea, cigarettes or heroin, efforts by the government to affect supply will prove futile. Couple with this is the fact that most people have no problems breaking a law they see as unfair and you realise that placing an opressive tax on cigarettes is a stupid move.

If they really care about the harmful effects of tobacco then there's better ways of dealing with the problem (see my above post).

EDIT- nicotine replacements are not placebos.This has been scientifically proven many times. If you still had cravings then obviously you weren't taking a high enough dose. If they were on sale in newsagents then it wouldn't just be pharmaceutical companies making them.In fact if a cigarette company started making nicotine gum/ inhalers it could be very good pr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 mc01a

i don't mind smoking rollies

it's just ther a pain in the bolix. out on a night out or anytin there not the easiest thing to be doing,

Advertisement