Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cigarettes rise again!!!!!! Or maybe not!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    The drink will get hit as well. It's just easier to tax junkies :)

€0.50 per unit on the drink apparently. Pub and offie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I read somewhere last year (when ASH wanted it put up by 2 euro as usual) that putting the price up by two euro would inject 460 million into the coffers. How much of a price of cigarettes is tax? 6.50? 7.00? Getting everyone to quit would be bad. The economy would lose out on more than a billion, people would live longer (and cost more), and I would no longer be able to blow smoke in your eyes to piss you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

btw cigarettes are not going up in the budget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Is there any source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

CiaranC wrote: »
    btw cigarettes are not going up in the budget

Hurray! Close thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Bubs101 wrote: »

Nahhh, it's typical ASH whining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

geuro wrote: »
    Don't think there is any evidence to suggest that the poster considers themselves to be superior. They just don't like people to smoke around them. Fair enough considering it stinks. Not to mention the impact passive smoking can have aon a persons health
    A minimal one?

I think the effect which propaganda has had on mindless anti-smokers is a real eye-opener as to the susceptibility of people to influence.

I mean, Jesus, people being passionately against an unhealthy practice involving inhaling a bit of smoke? You don't see people caring about fatty foods, or aspartame, or alcohol in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Relevant wrote: »
    Has this been confirmed or is it all speculation
    Speculation, but that won't get in the way of smugness.
    bobbbb wrote: »
    €0.50 per unit on the drink apparently. Pub and offie.
    That would be €1 a pint then.
    oeb wrote: »
    I read somewhere last year (when ASH wanted it put up by 2 euro as usual) that putting the price up by two euro would inject 460 million into the coffers. How much of a price of cigarettes is tax? 6.50? 7.00? Getting everyone to quit would be bad. The economy would lose out on more than a billion, people would live longer (and cost more), and I would no longer be able to blow smoke in your eyes to piss you off.
    There's no talking to some people.
    They hate smoke and that is that. In their eyes all smokers are worse than Hitler.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Again, no. Just hype and pre-budget hysteria.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    A minimal one?

I think the effect which propaganda has had on mindless anti-smokers is a real eye-opener as to the susceptibility of people to influence.

I mean, Jesus, people being passionately against an unhealthy practice involving inhaling a bit of smoke? You don't see people caring about fatty foods, or aspartame, or alcohol in the same way.
    Non smokers just don't get it and never will.
    Once you become a regular smoker, the smell becomes something you grow to love. The feel of the cigarette in you hand and on your lips becomes a part of your every day life.
    The rush from the nicotine hit from your first of the day. The feel of the smoke in your lungs.
    It all feels great and none of you will ever experience that or know what it feels like.

Smokers don't care what non smokers tell them. We know the risks. We know the damage it does. We know they are ridiculously over-priced. We know you hate the smell. We know that passive smoking hasn't been proven to cause cancer. We know they're addictive. We are already addicted, you dumb bastards.

We don't fúcking care.

The more you whine and protest agains smoking, the more we want to smoke and the more we enjoy it. And you smug former smokers can piss off too. Yeah, you quit. Good for you. Now get the **** out of my face. I'm trying to light up here.

I moderate the Giving Up Smoking forum. I was called a mad bastard for voluteering to do it. People told me it was going to be full of angry folks taking their rage out on the internet.
    It couldn't be more different.
    If a really sociable and friendly place and the vast majority of people who post there are really friendly and helpful.
    They are very supportive of other trying to quit.
    There's no smugness from former smokers. Instead the give positive re-enforcrement towards other trying to quit.
    There is a cameraderie there between those who have quit and those who are still struggling and that is something you non smokers will never understand.

Ok, you don't want to understand it. That's fine. Just remember though that you're only making yourself look like a complete wanker to those who smoke because we don't fúcking care what you think. Go to a fúcking seminary if you want to preach to people willing to listen, because never, in the history of the smoking world, has anyone ever turned around and said "Hey, you non smokers are right. I'm going to stop smoking right now. Thanks for giving me all that information. I really appreciate it".
    If they did say that, it was only to get away from the non smoker and their smugness.

Then you realise you've been smoking for 2/3 of your life and your lungs hurt and you get chest pains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Primetime on RTE1 now, Minister unlikely to place any increase as Ireland
    and UK are the worst two countries for smuggling as it is. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

^ From PrimeTime -
    One smuggler was fined 13 cent for smuggling 12,000 cigarettes into the country

Only 4 people were charged with illegal smuggling of cigarettes last year. That should be the increase gone tbh. F**king joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

What exactly is illegal smuggling of cigarettes?

A freind of mine is in Spain and i gave her 20yoyo's to buy me as much as possible :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'd imagine you're safe enough.

20 quid won't involve rubber glove treatment at customs for your friend :)

Srsly, a certain quota is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

The Goverment always used the xcuse that heaping on the excise duty on fags would have a bad effect on infaltion. Inflation being at -1% is good enough reason to heap it this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 boards.

Smoking is bad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

boards. wrote: »
    I thought it helped prevent plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,386 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You people. I swear.

YOU LET THEM DO IT!

I mean. Come on. You just sit down and Take It. Wheres the protesting? Honestly! Go! For the good of the city! Start a protest.

Instead you go GRRRR IM SO MAD IM GONNA GO HOME, THEN IM GONNA GO SIT DOWN ON MY COMPUTER, and THEN, IM GONNA GET ANGRY ON MY KEYBOARD. clackkity clakkity click clack clack.

Do it The American Way for a change. Everyone, March on Parliament, with your favorite Brand, and puff away. Puff indoors! Get REBELLIOUS. I could just imagine 10,000 Irishman marching down Dublin puffing away like a giant angry locomotive. The police cant stop a groud of ten thousand from smoking indoors. Or swarming your govt buildings. Peacefully.

Somethings gotta give. For a tenner a pack I'd at least want my right to smoke indoors back. ffs.

Actually Im quite serious, but Caps are fun.

Its either that or continue to sit down and take it. After all its bad for your health and your nanny-state wants you to quit.

Inflation is at -1%?
    That's a lot of shift key pressing.

Earlier today a Jewish boy told me that people should keep spending money.

So is sex, food, alcohol ;)

ANYTHING can kill you

Overheal wrote: »
    You people. I swear.

YOU LET THEM DO IT!

I mean. Come on. You just sit down and Take It. Wheres the protesting? Honestly! Go! For the good of the city! Start a protest.

Instead you go GRRRR IM SO MAD IM GONNA GO HOME, THEN IM GONNA GO SIT DOWN ON MY COMPUTER, and THEN, IM GONNA GET ANGRY ON MY KEYBOARD. clackkity clakkity click clack clack.

Do it The American Way for a change. Everyone, March on Parliament, with your favorite Brand, and puff away. Puff indoors! Get REBELLIOUS. I could just imagine 10,000 Irishman marching down Dublin puffing away like a giant angry locomotive. The police cant stop a groud of ten thousand from smoking indoors. Or swarming your govt buildings. Peacefully.

Somethings gotta give. For a tenner a pack I'd at least want my right to smoke indoors back. ffs.

Actually Im quite serious, but Caps are fun.

Its either that or continue to sit down and take it. After all its bad for your health and your nanny-state wants you to quit.
    I knew a guy nick named Clack.
    Then some mad chick burnt his house down. Last I heard, he was drinking on the streets in Galway city.

Dude, you lived in Ireland. Surely you know by now that we have thrived for years by saying "Ahh, fúck it".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

mc01a wrote: »
    the price of cigarettes are rising again by€2, planned for next week,

Source OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

MIN2511 wrote: »
    So is sex, food, alcohol ;)

ANYTHING can kill you

Sex, food and alcohol are good in moderation. Smoking is not.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Source OP?
    For the third time, there is no source. Only pre-budget hype, specualtion and over-reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I don't smoke and dislike smokers but if this is true then it represents the typical attitude shown towards the people of Ireland by this Government. Rising taxes is immoral and what is needed is to slash public spending and mass redundancies in the public sector. Taxes need to be cut not risen and all new revenues need to found. Taxing the already hammered consumer will not solve this crisis.

This crisis has been caused by the failed policies or both deregulation and excessive regulation. The Irish economy is on the verge of all out collapse and we get hammered by more taxes. My company has pulled out of Ireland and my personal finances are no longer in Irish banks, I am leaving Ireland soon due to the tax situation I find myself in, No government can justify taxation levels like this it is daylight robbery and will cripple Ireland for generations. The people need to act now and oust the government if Ireland is to have any change of survival and it must be done at all costs peaceful or not.

What next €1 a litre mains water? Brian Cowen really should resign immediately if he has any shred of ethic or credibility.

Terry wrote: »
    I knew a guy nick named Clack.
    Then some mad chick burnt his house down. Last I heard, he was drinking on the streets in Galway city.

Dude, you lived in Ireland. Surely you know by now that we have thrived for years by saying "Ahh, fúck it".

No way?! You know Clack? The sh1t head won 40,000 on the Lotto and lives in Florida now. Small world! Unreal!

Sex, food and alcohol are good in moderation. Smoking is not.
    You could get hit by a bus/car/van whatever and die

I don't think it's anyone's business what i do with my life...

I dunno why non smokers take it upon themselves to act like they are law...

No one care what you do with your life, bar maybe your parents.
    Same with me.

The Tax people care though. They care a lot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/secondhandsmoke/a/secondhandsmoke.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 82,386 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Scien wrote: »
    Invade somewhere?
    Yes: The Dail.

• Advertisement

No one care what you do with your life, bar maybe your parents.
    Same with me.

The Tax people care though. They care a lot.
    They care, cause they get all my taxes!!! Seriously, people die everyday-it's nature! Jade Goody is dead, she was only 27!:eek:

Like that's gonna get me to stop smoking:rolleyes:

I was a 10 a day smoker and i quit now i am a social smoker, i haven't smoked in 2weeks or so-not like it's anyone's business:D

Overheal wrote: »
    Yes: The Dail.

You gonna come help us:pac:

Advertisement