Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cigarettes rise again!!!!!! Or maybe not!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Why dont they put tax on fatty foods and mcdonalds then all the grease mongers will actually start to worry about their own health and implications than care about smokers... WE KNOW WE ARE DYING!!! big schwing we are ALL DYING!

is it illegal to grow your own tobacco? not( marijuana) actual tobacco?

i personally only buy cigs when my 'friend' has run out... €35 / €81 i know exactly where will always buy them from.

I can't believe some people, we don't need any more taxing, our government gets plenty of money from us, they just need to stop wasting it on stupid ****

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

MIN2511 wrote: »

Like that's gonna get me to stop smoking:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Non-smoker and delighted at the news that cigs are up to €10 a pack.

I hope they go up €1 per year until they're phased out.

lol

you do realise that if smokes go, the gov is gonna have to get money from everyone then

burgess1 wrote: »
    I think the latest price increase is a disgrace.

It should be at least doubled.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I hope the prices of drinks, condoms, chewing gum, saturated fat go up....
    I also hope fat/overweight people(including myself) should pay more for health insurance... because we end up with diabetes, obesity(it is a disease!) and all sorts....

meh, i am tired...

Each to their own, lets stop debating such frivolous matters... If we could all come up with how to make the economy better that will be brilliant!

On that note-goodnight everyone :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I can't believe some people, we don't need any more taxing, our government gets plenty of money from us, they just need to stop wasting it on stupid ****

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I hope the prices of drinks, condoms, chewing gum, saturated fat go up....
    I also hope fat/overweight people(including myself) should pay more for health insurance... because we end up with diabetes, obesity(it is a disease!) and all sorts....
    Fair point..If car insurance can vary to low for someone who has driven carefully for 30 years without crashing to some little toe rag who thinks he can steer the wheel with his b***!x then ye overweight people should pay more for health insurance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Oh, what a shocker - the price of ciggs will not go up, confirmed by Brian Lenihan himself. Why? Because smuggling would increase dramatically.

Fear not though, the price of alcohol is set to go up substantially, and even more than first anticipated!:)

So, how do people feel now?
    Mr McCormack said the minister, in a letter to anti-tobacco groups, cited the excuse of smuggling as a reason not to increase the tobacco tax.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0327/tobacco.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Rubbish. That company "ASH" or whatever they're called call for €2 every time there's a budget. Wont happen. I'll eat my feet if it does....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Oh, what a shocker - the price of ciggs will not go up, confirmed by Brian Lenihan himself. Why? Because smuggling would increase dramatically.

Fear not though, the price of alcohol is set to go up substantially, and even more than first anticipated!:)

So, how do people feel now?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0327/tobacco.html

:D

/blows smoke in the faces of the non-smoking whingers

Told Ya !

I hope the put the price of booze up - how do you like them apples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Nice one, I'm taking up smoking to celebrate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Non-smoker and delighted at the news that cigs are up to €10 a pack.

I hope they go up €1 per year until they're phased out.

Why on God's name would you be delighted? Its absolutley none of your business what other people do. Can't for the life of me understand why you would be concerned in the least. Very sad. I have not bought a box of Irish cigs in around 5 years, at work almost everyone smokes imported smokes €4 a box. You idea is pure genius, up €1 a year until the black market goes from currentley 25% to 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Ok, go to poland, shoot 600 rounds through an ak47 at a range, get pissed on the cheap and stay out all night, chat up the brilliant looking women, bring home 800 ciggs, memories, and the craic.

Lads holiday planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I hope the put the price of booze up - how do you like them apples.

See my above post?

Change the ciggs part to alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

€2 increase on a pack will mean the Irish tax man will get LESS money from me. I'll just book a cheap daily return fare to Spain or another
    EU country where I can cheaply and legally stock up for a couple of months.

I know at lot of people going on smoking holidays for the last few years. I think the goverment are finally after catching on to this, as well as the huge black market trade. They are a bit slow all the same..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

zudo wrote: »
    I know at lot of people going on smoking holidays for the last few years. I think the goverment are finally after catching on to this, as well as the huge black market trade. They are a bit slow all the same..

I only bought 25% of my cigs in Ireland in total last year
    - the rest I bought on holidays or business trips or friends/colleagues
    picked them up for me when they were abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Who cares, cigarettes , alcohol, condoms, buttplugs...whatever is your preference.... If it goes up and if its cheaper elsewhere people will go there. Mary Harney said herself to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Personally i am a smoker,but i have been leaning towards giving up for a while . This increase will finally make me quit,but,alas i know this government get will more tax euros from me one way or another.....:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Personally i am a smoker,but i have been leaning towards giving up for a while . This increase will finally make me quit,but,alas i know this government get will more tax euros from me one way or another.....:(

There will be no increase for ciggs, thats the thing - the finance minister confirmed it himself . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

They aren't raising the price to get money out of people. They are doing it to stop people smoking.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote: »
    They aren't raising the price to get money out of people. They are doing it to stop people smoking.

Well, the original intention was to raise excise duties to help plug the hole in the public finances.

The fact that Minister Lenihan has ruled out an increase in price due to the risk of smuggling increasing sort of indicates that he is worried more about loosing revenues, no? . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

if they were to go up to 10euro id make trips up the north to buy them and everything else thats cheaper,if you bought enough in one go it would be worth the petrol and you could take your levy back off the goverment:),,and why are cigarettes bought abroad stronger than the ones in ireland eg tar 6mg but in foreign cigarettes (of the same brand) the tar is 8mg!!!! thats why i dont buy them on holidays they taste manky:mad:

ps.how do you use the euro sign on a computer? its on the same key as 4 and a dollar sign but i cant use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Do what the rest of the smokers in the country are doing - buy 200 from the polish for €35 a carton.

**** your recession, I'd rather help the polish economy than our own for that price :rolleyes:

Tellox wrote: »
    Do what the rest of the smokers in the country are doing - buy 200 from the polish for €35 a carton.

**** your recession, I'd rather help the polish economy than our own for that price :rolleyes:

hahaha yeah iv never seen a polish person with cigarettes bought in ireland like a pack of west or l&m for 2euro,that might be black market stuff though:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

There will be no increase for ciggs, thats the thing - the finance minister confirmed it himself . . .

Did anyone else hear this???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Regardless of whether ciggs are going up, or by how much, there is a big increase in counterfeit ciggs in Ireland , and these will certainly become a problem as long as cig prices remain high

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0326/carrickonsuir.html

A friend was offered the following option in a small shop around the south circular road/ harcourt st area of Dublin in the last 2 weeks- ...do you want the normal price cigarettes or the cheap price?- the 'cheap' price option turned out to be counterfeit and tasted disgusting (yes, even worse than what a real cigarette tastes like :))

As much as cigarettes will kill ya over time, these counterfeit cigs sound like they'll kill you even sooner...personally speaking, as a smoker, I would welcome a EUR 5 increase to help me quit, but not convinced this would solve either the smoking problem, or the revenue problem, and naturally, people will seek out cheaper alternatives, giving the govt. even less revenue than they currently make- my guess is 10c- 15c max increase- more than that and consumers will react by buying cheaper alternatives elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Cicero wrote: »
    A friend was offered the following option in a small shop around the south circular road/ harcourt st area of Dublin in the last 2 weeks- ...do you want the normal price cigarettes or the cheap price?- the 'cheap' price option turned out to be counterfeit and tasted disgusting (yes, even worse than what a real cigarette tastes like :))

I've tasted these and they are absolute muck!! It's just like rolling a piece of paper up and inhaling the fumes, its that bad.

Im so glad i gave up smoking. Used to smoke at least 15 a day, everyday. Gave up on the 1st January 2009. Never regretted it.

I know its tough guys but just force yourself to quit. Its the best thing i ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

bladebrew wrote: »
    ps.how do you use the euro sign on a computer? its on the same key as 4 and a dollar sign but i cant use it!

Press 'Alt Gr' and '4'. 'Alt Gr' is to the right of the spacebar.

TPD wrote: »
    Press 'Alt Gr' and '4'. 'Alt Gr' is to the right of the spacebar.
    cheers:) €€€€€€€€

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 tired t

went to fuertventura few weeks ago and got 200 fags for 5.50!!! why on earth would i buy here its disgusting. always buy of our "friend" but will definatly be making nother trip abroad soon!!

Advertisement