Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Be 14

• 26-03-2009 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Got me thinking the other day, if I were a 14 year old boy in 2009, getting into music for the first time and feeling inspired by artists the likes of Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Don McLean and Tom Petty....there might be a great backlog of material open up to me but in terms of new material it seems that there is very little originality left in music. I find that most "new" bands are plagurising those from years ago, and this has happened for years...but now it seems its even harder to rebel, in a traditional sense, then it ever has been!

what do u guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I would probably think Editors and Interpol were the best things going.
    Then my older brother would give me a good smack in the head and introduce me to a Joy Division album. :)

In seriousness, I agree with what you've said, we're at the point where everything has been done. I've also been saying that for years, it's not just music that's been hit with that, movies and TV have hit it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The new bands might be unoriginal but I'd rather listen to stuff like Ladyhawke or Friendly Fires than Bob Dylan or Tom Petty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

mcr maybe? *shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

mcr maybe? *shudders*

Or Fall Out Boy...
    ... then you could reinvent the wheel to run yourself over! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Robert Plant admitted that Led Zep basically ripped off loads of soul/blues musicians. I think people are just more aware of whats gone before due to the rise in media technologies. Although I'd set my watch and warrant on it that atm a lot of new original music is left by the wayside because it doesn't conform to this or that trend. I'd say labels like to sign bands that they can market to x,y and z demographics as opposed to signing a genuinely interesting one. Nostalgia and tried and tested formulas are easier to sell, but its dubious process of appealing to the lowest common denominator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Interesting question and one that brings me back, as a solid heavy metal fan at 14 years and in 1984, I felt metal was going down the tubes super quick, never living upto my idols Lizzy, sabbath, purple, zep and AC/DC (flick of the switch was just released and it sucked). I could n't (and still don't) get the mid 80s glam metal scene, living in a tough working class Dublin suburb with fyck all prospects, bands like the fall, the bunnymen, and the gorehounds were more where its at than any of that stuff. Despite some good bands, a friend and I started to hit second hand record shops like Freebird with our pocket money and found tons of super stuff (Prog, blues, Psychadelia, folk, 60's supergroups, 70's glam etc) and it has defined me ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Meh, it's always been the same. Loads of generic bands and a few that break the mold (or are very good generic bands). It's easy to look back and pick out the best; they were the best, so they tend to linger in your memory. No music is completely "original" it's always evolving taking elements from different genres/styles and seeing what comes out.

There is plenty of talent out there today and plenty that will be remembered in years to come, there is also plenty of ****e, as there always has been, always will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Well I basically got into the whole rock and metal thing by virtue of buying the Chili Pepper's Best Of at 14, and its basically what got me interested in rock music!

Not sure if there's so many bands now that would do the same to impressionable young people tho. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

i grew up listening to the likes of nirvana, pearl jam, metallica etc due to having 2 older brothers. only recently i started listening to led zeppelin, and they just blew my mind. no band of today seems to have that effect! god if only i had a time machine.
    its to do with conformity and diversity too methinks. twas alot easier to rebel against the man back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Im not 14 but i do be listening to the likes of Vains of jenna, crashdiet,cancer bats, dirty penny, Hell N Diesel. all recent.

But the 1980s is where its at.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Smellyirishman summed up what I was going to post :)
    There is plenty of talent out there today and plenty that will be remembered in years to come, there is also plenty of ****e, as there always has been, always will be.
    With the advent of the Internet it's never been easier to get vast quantities of music straight to the nearest set of speakers. Sure you have to sift through the shite but that's part of the fun!

When I was 14 (back in 1992) I was a big Metallica and Guns N' Roses fan. I still am and I would like to think that if I introduced the 14 year old me to some of the music that I listen to now I would still like it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Have to agree with the OP.

I think if I was 14 and starting to get into music I dont think there would be as much "original" stuff nowadays as when I was 14(20 years ago)

I mean growing up 20 years ago you had metallica,gnr,anthrax,slayer etc etc.I was huge fan of the metal scene back then and I still am.And Id like to think that if I was 14 now these bands would still appeal to me.
    But nowadays it just seems to be so ...unoriginal.

But in saying that theres a few bands around that Ive really gotten into in the last few years that I do wish were around when I was a bit younger.

Greenday,Blink182,Linkin Park,Plus44(yeah I know :):) ) and the likes but Id say the most recent band that Ive felt were similar to what I was into back then is/was System of a Down.For some reason when I listen to any of their stuff they just seem to be different to the tripe thats out there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Hellrazer wrote: »
    And Id like to think that if I was 14 now these bands would still appeal to me.
    But nowadays it just seems to be so ...unoriginal.

Its so sad to say but I agree with you 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

People always seems to forget how much tripe there was in the decades gone by, alongside the greats.

These days, what about Opeth or Mastodon? They're certainly influenced by older bands, but so is everyone, and those two bands are doing very individual and fresh things. There's plenty of gold among the ****e, like there always was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

I'm just soooo glad to have been around soo damm long!!,,,to see all the greats ive been lucky to see,,,from Horslips to Jethro Tull,,to Rush and maiden,saxon,priest,motorhead,thin lizzy all in their prime etc etc...I'd hate to be a yung lad today almost completely lacking in those amazing classic rock bands who's music was both inspiring and had depth and longevity about it.....

new bands??..don't make me laugh their all pox compared to the greats i been lucky to see,...I see noooo exciting interesting stuff out there, all i hear is poppy crud, created "stars" and angry nasty metal stuff as an "alternative"!? ughhhhhh ...musicians in this country??..if the yunger lads stopped trying to "riff" like metal heads and learned how to play with flare and style,,,their just MIGHT be a decent band somwhere in the country,.,..,,anyway enough of a rant there!.....classic rock all the way!!

ciao' rocking amigos....Baggio....

Advertisement