Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attn. Promoters : Next Generation Fighters

Options
  • 26-03-2009 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Next Generation fighters looking for fights in any upcoming shows

Owen Dempsey -68kg
    Joe Cunnane -84kg
    Kevin Murdock -60kg
    Richie Ivory -62kg
    Chad Biddle -70kg

All A or B class we dont do C or D class fights.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

[All A or B class we dont do C or D class fights.[/quote]

Bloody spot on :D!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

All A or B class we dont do C or D class fights.

Is that a joke?
    and if not-why?

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Is that a joke?
    and if not-why?

Not a joke, cant think why that would be funny. No headshots on the ground generally looks like submission wrestling with bodyshots, not something we are into. No Next Gen fighters in the states fight C or D class and we follow suit. Chris and I both believe that if guys are ready to step in and punch kick and knee the head standing then they should be ready to inflict and take headshots on the ground.

Not a joke, cant think why that would be funny. No headshots on the ground generally looks like submission wrestling with bodyshots, not something we are into. No Next Gen fighters in the states fight C or D class and we follow suit. Chris and I both believe that if guys are ready to step in and punch kick and knee the head standing then they should be ready to inflict and take headshots on the ground.

Fair enough, i disagree but thats ok!

E class is sub wrestling with body shots, that i do agree with, both standing and on the deck!

i like progression to be part of my fighters build up but everyone to there own-you should change your name to "Hardcore generation"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I think the difference in the two appraoches is that:

One groups trains a fighter for a long time before taking any fights and starts at B level or so. The other groups starts taking fights earlier in their training and take them at lower level. Just my observation.

I wouldn't expect someone who's been training 6months to start at B/A class (even if they're an animal) but at the same time I wouldn't expect someone who's been doing bjj for 6 years and mma for 3 years to start at D either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

I think the difference in the two appraoches is that:

One groups trains a fighter for a long time before taking any fights and starts at B level or so. The other groups starts taking fights earlier in their training and take them at lower level. Just my observation.

I wouldn't expect someone who's been training 6months to start at B/A class (even if they're an animal) but at the same time I wouldn't expect someone who's been doing bjj for 6 years and mma for 3 years to start at D either.

Nicely Put :)

I actually dont get why its ok for guys to get in and fight with punch kick knee to head while standing but no headshots on the ground. Its like assuming the guy's standup is good enough for A/B level of competition but his ground game isnt. Personally i wont put anyone in a cage or ring whose jits isnt good enough to cope with headstrikes. Just like i wouldnt put a complete novice at stand up in either. I think those days of one or two range guys is well and truly over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

One thing I know is that C and D class fight are not fun to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Valmont wrote: »
    One thing I know is that C and D class fight are not fun to watch.

I disagree. I've seen some great C matches, I've also seen some awful A and B matches. A C class match was fight of the night at Ultimate Conflict last time, and at my show in December all of the Bs and As ended really quickly and the audience got the most value out of the C class fights which everyone who I spoke to afterwards raved about.

I'm not disagreeing with Dave by the way I think it's a good approach, but I think it's just one of many approaches. For us as a less experienced gym to NG our priority is building up experience in the ring and cage for our guys and getting people's feet wet. I actually don't give a rats arse if one of my guys goes without a win in C or D as long as he's ready to take the step to the pro. Now obviously that wouldn't happen I'm just trying to make a point that even though we'll have guys who are going to get in at D and C level, it's still going to be only the pro fight record that will count for us.

If you look at boxing before a guy takes his headguard off he'll have had 70-150 bouts. They all matter at the time, but only the pro record matters in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Karatekrazy

Roper wrote: »
    I disagree. I've seen some great C matches, I've also seen some awful A and B matches. A C class match was fight of the night at Ultimate Conflict last time

Roper, didn't Gary win fight of the night at the last Ultimate Conflict? And I'm quite sure that that was an A class fight.

• Advertisement

Actually im pretty sure Hussein and Damian were fight of the night at the last Ultimate Conflict and that was A or B. Anyway thats irrelevant as some of the best fights I have reffed have been C class but it just doesnt interest anyone in NG. I just wanted to let promoters know that I have guys available for fights, particularly as Ropers show is now all amateur and the next EFR has also been downgraded to Amateur.

This wasnt supposed to ignite a rules and methods of training debate. I make sure my guys are confident in all ranges before putting them in cage or ring, therefore I dont have to worry or go to the trouble of arranging C and D class for them. They are all aware its a fight and anything can happen and they should be prepared for that. I realise that some gyms want to use the "dip your foot in the water" technique but its just not for us, you eventually have to get in the water to swim :)

Roper, didn't Gary win fight of the night at the last Ultimate Conflict? And I'm quite sure that that was an A class fight.
    I thought it was Cathal Pendred and Karl Bruins which was a C class bout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Karatekrazy

You're right it was. Apologies!

Actually im pretty sure Hussein and Damian were fight of the night at the last Ultimate Conflict and that was A or B. Anyway thats irrelevant as some of the best fights I have reffed have been C class but it just doesnt interest anyone in NG. I just wanted to let promoters know that I have guys available for fights, particularly as Ropers show is now all amateur and the next EFR has also been downgraded to Amateur.

This wasnt supposed to ignite a rules and methods of training debate. I make sure my guys are confident in all ranges before putting them in cage or ring, therefore I dont have to worry or go to the trouble of arranging C and D class for them. They are all aware its a fight and anything can happen and they should be prepared for that. I realise that some gyms want to use the "dip your foot in the water" technique but its just not for us, you eventually have to get in the water to swim :)

I understand your point entirely Dave and hopefully will have a whole heap of NG pros on my next show.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Would it be possible for a MOD to put up a sticky for clubs to put up available fighters.
    I know that JK has one with SBG Fighters on the ROT forum and the EFR Fight Team is on Fighttalk.
    I think it would be handy to have them all together.

I think something like a googledoc that all the coaches could view might be a better idea. It's quite easy to set up.

I just thought if there was a non discussion sticky that each coach could put a post up on it would be easy to keep updated when teams change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

way to hijack the thread..

who cares whether or not some H class fight was snooze of the night or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Chris89 wrote: »
    way to hijack the thread..

who cares whether or not some H class fight was snooze of the night or not.

I think toe holds are the only permissable offense of any kind in H class.

You're all so cool.

Marty we should do something like that. The mailing and ringing around thing only gets you so far. Even this thread is handy knowing who is available from NG.

• Advertisement

Even this thread is handy knowing who is available from NG.

Thankfully someone got the gist of my original post. Well done Barry, top of the class along with Martin with a very good sticky post suggestion.

Thanks Dave. I got what the purpose of this Thread was.
    I think that sometimes the people on these boards just talk for the sake of talking.:rolleyes:

Would it be possible for a MOD to put up a sticky for clubs to put up available fighters.
    I know that JK has one with SBG Fighters on the ROT forum and the EFR Fight Team is on Fighttalk.
    I think it would be handy to have them all together.

Yes this can be organised. Can the relevant people PM me and I'll sort it out in the next day or 2.

who's the relevant people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 redbelt

cowzerp wrote: »
    who's the relevant people?
    i would say all the mma clubs that have fighters.( use ur head ):P

Rush Fight Academy
    North Dublin MMA Club
    http://rushfightacademy.com

redbelt wrote: »
    i would say all the mma clubs that have fighters.( use ur head ):P

Rush Fight Academy
    North Dublin MMA Club
    http://rushfightacademy.com

Haven't been online but this is correct. How do you guys want to go about it?

Will I just start a thread called "MMA Clubs and active fighters" and you guys post your club and active guys onto it??

That sounds good. Just put up the active guys who are available and at what level and weight.

That sounds good. Just put up the active guys who are available and at what level and weight.

Ok, will I amend my original post to include everyone that's put into it then?

Nah I think keep em seperate because every now and again lists will change. The most up to date post from each gym will be the one people should refer to. I'll keep a copy on my forum we're going to be way more active this year as I have a few things sorted now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement