Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need replacement handle for a Mountfield mower

Options
  • 26-03-2009 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I bought a Mountfield mower in B & Q 2 years ago and have had nothing but trouble with it, e.g. carb went, wheels fell off and now the handle has snapped. B & Q never wanted to know and they don't carry parts but up to now a local hardware shop was able to fix it for me. However, they can't do the handle and I've tried in vain to source one on the net.

Does anyone know of a place where I can pick one up (its the lower handle that attaches to the mower). I plan on getting a ride on at some point so don't want to have to buy a new push mower as well. I was hoping the mountfield would do for the edges and around the trees.

Oh and btw, don't ever buy a Mountfield as they are cheap sh1te that break if you look at them the wrong way (and I'm the type that looks after machinery so the mower was never abused but now I feel like taking a hammer to it). And don't buy lawnmowers from B & Q as they don't provide any back up whatsoever.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 declanskidneys

bought one myself dave in b&q 3 years ago, it lasted 2 years and 1 month, the warranty was a month out of date when i contacted b and q, no joy there. I got a local lad to look at it and he said it was a pile of dirt and couldnt do anything with it.

i will have a scout round with this local lad and see if he still has bits off my old one. what was the model of yours?

where are you looking to buy the ride on mower, im in the market or one myself and could do with a bit of guidance on buying one.

are you buying new or secondhand?

regards,
    declan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks Declan,

My mower is a SP470 model. I've contacted several Mountfield dealers in the UK and they won't ship to Ireland as they all seem to "have had problems with payments in the past" - some coincidence. There aren't any dealers in Ireland who stock parts for Mountfield mowers so for those of you who are looking at the shiny Mountfield mowers in your local B & Q, keep on moving and don't waste your money on these collector's items, i.e. you collect the bits that fall off!!

I plan on getting a ride on soon and I was looking at purchasing in the north as they are a hell of a lot cheaper than down here. See this thread as other Boardsies have similar ideas:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055477414

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mowers-ire

Hi, Ya mountfield are not as they use to be.. i remember a friend of mine had a mountfield for over 30 years and is still running, if you get 30min out of the new models you would be doing well !!!!! if your looking for spare parts try the main importer for Ireland Cyril Johnston in Belfast, not problem posting out parts, Tel: +44 (028) 90813121. If your after a secondhand mower there is a good few mowers on a website that I shall be smacked if I promote one example is 20hp twin cut for €1200 4 years old. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Another free ad for Weldons ehhhhhhh, getting common these from you Mowers. See the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CANDJMOPR

there is a company in Kildare called Xpert Hire & Sales and they stock all common Mountfield spare parts...as far as i know they look after all garden equipment repairs for B&Q... www.xperthire.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement