Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVR connection over internet

Options
  • 26-03-2009 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Folks
    I'm having some difficulty connecting a dvr to the internet. Bought it recently, it comes with good instructions but I havent done this before so I get a bit confused by all th IP, port forwarding etc etc stuff.
    Anyway it has DDNS support capabalities (which i need because i have a dynamic ip address) and this is the first hanging point.

I've gone to dyndns.com, set up an account, and went to "add new hostname" - it looks for an IP address, is this the ip of the remote computer or the ip of the DVR or the ip of the router?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Turbury wrote: »
    Folks
    I'm having some difficulty connecting a dvr to the internet. Bought it recently, it comes with good instructions but I havent done this before so I get a bit confused by all th IP, port forwarding etc etc stuff.
    Anyway it has DDNS support capabalities (which i need because i have a dynamic ip address) and this is the first hanging point.

I've gone to dyndns.com, set up an account, and went to "add new hostname" - it looks for an IP address, is this the ip of the remote computer or the ip of the DVR or the ip of the router?
    thanks

It's the IP Address you see when you browse to http://www.whatismyip.com
    I assume you just want to access the Web Interface of the CVR over the internet?
    • What is the make and model of your DVR?
    • Don't configure DDNS on the DVR!
    • What router do you have [make and model]?
    • Hint, it is easier to set up port forwarding on your router / firewall to point to the DVR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Turbury

Hello,

DVR model here http://www.2seetv.co.uk/dmr4guide.htm
    So the ip requested by dyndns is the ip of the DVR?
    Router id std. one supplied by eircom- have to check this later

RangeR wrote: »
    It's the IP Address you see when you browse to http://www.whatismyip.com
    I assume you just want to access the Web Interface of the CVR over the internet?
    • What is the make and model of your DVR?
    • Don't configure DDNS on the DVR!
    • What router do you have [make and model]?
    • Hint, it is easier to set up port forwarding on your router / firewall to point to the DVR!

Now - After days of inputting IP addresses and DYNDNS's in vein, Eircom tech support tell me they "think" their Netopia routers dont allow external remote access!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

`Hmmm, this thread got away from me. It really is posted in the wrong place. Somewhere like the broadband forum would get more views.

In short, I've heard bad things about eircom routers, if you want to do ANYTHING other than surf and email.

Get a better ADSL router [Linksys, Netgear - I believe you should stay away from Belkin]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

OP, would you like the thread moved?

-Funk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Jame$

Try this, go to www.borsatec.com, the FAQ section, go to ADSL guide and download a pdf there called ADSL Guide. It may help.

It is very tricky to set up, but not impossible.

funk-you wrote: »
    OP, would you like the thread moved?

-Funk

Yes please move - and thanks to all replies so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Yes please move - and thanks to all replies so far.

Moved.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Hello,

DVR model here http://www.2seetv.co.uk/dmr4guide.htm
    So the ip requested by dyndns is the ip of the DVR?
    Router id std. one supplied by eircom- have to check this later

The hostname IP address is the Public IP address of your router.

Does your router have the ability to configure DDNS or you will need to install a client on your PC (unless the DVR has one) so that the public ip address can be updated in the DDNS when it changes.

You will also need to forward the appropriate port(s) on your router to the DVR. Its also best if you assign a static private IP address to the DVR.

With some help got it sorted last night - turns out the netopia router does allow external access - thanks to all who replied.

• Advertisement
Advertisement