Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patriots Offseason Discussion Thread

• 26-03-2009 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭

A place where fans of the premier franchise of the NFL can discuss the offseason transactions without the conversation being lowered by the fans of unworthy franchises :P

I think Bill has done an excellent job this offseason and we have already address a lot of positions. Here are the last pieces for me to make this a perfect offseason:

1. Sign Jason Taylor

2. Re-sign Wilfork

3. With the 23rd and 34th picks we take a MLB and an OLB based on who is available

4. With the 47th, 58th, 89th and 97th we draft a Safety, a young WR to mold, a tackle to mold and a DT/DE who can play in the 3-4 based on who is available

5. Trade off most of the later picks for next year's draft

How will this off season be considered succesful to you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Are we just gonna leave the offensive line as it is then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

eagle eye wrote: »
    Are we just gonna leave the offensive line as it is then?

God I hope not. We need to bulk it up somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Patriots to work out another QB, first Pat White now: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/26/hoyer-to-work-out-for-browns-patriots/

What does that say about O'Connell or even Brady?

Hazys wrote: »
    What does that say about O'Connell or even Brady?

Nothing really always good to have a third option.O'Connell will most likely go to number 2 and the draftee to number 3. So we have another Cassell/O'Connell situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Pats have to take a RT in first two rounds imo, probably late in the 2nd. Having said that Runyan says he'll play next year and we know how Bill loves his ancient warriors :)

• Advertisement

I just love the way BB kills any talk of possible free agent signings. We had the Peppers rumours a couple of months back and then again recently and he comes out and says that he thinks he should sign the contract with the Jags and not another word about it since. lol. The media really must hate him, he kills stories and they never know when he has signed somebody. This latest thing about us signing a QB in the draft could just be another of his smokescreens.

I just love the way BB kills any talk of possible free agent signings. We had the Peppers rumours a couple of months back and then again recently and he comes out and says that he thinks he should sign the contract with the Jags and not another word about it since. lol. The media really must hate him, he kills stories and they never know when he has signed somebody. This latest thing about us signing a QB in the draft could just be another of his smokescreens.

BB is some legend. Pity he's going to quit football to follow his real true talent, to go on tour with Bon Jovi :eek:

^^ And this line from that article makes me believe that its going to happen.
    Agent Gary Wichard declined to discuss what teams are interested in Taylor at this point, other than to say he has heard from "numerous" teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Nice points Hazys but the OL really should be fixed somewhat!

Hopefully we land a receiver who'll get on more than Chad Jackson :rolleyes:

Nice points Hazys but the OL really should be fixed somewhat!

Hopefully we land a receiver who'll get on more than Chad Jackson :rolleyes:

Chad jackson had potential but was just unfortunate to join the same year as Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Chad jackson had potential but was just unfortunate to join the same year as Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

I'm not talking about Moss & Welker being ahead of him in particular even though you're right, I'm talking about his injuries. He picked up a load of injuries, his hamstring and tore a ligament in his knee mostly which prevented him from getting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 barbar69

Is the OL really that bad?

A couple of years ago most of them were in the pro bowl but then the Giants had their way with them and since then they've got alot of stick.

barbar69 wrote: »
    Is the OL really that bad?

A couple of years ago most of them were in the pro bowl but then the Giants had their way with them and since then they've got alot of stick.

Lack of depth and age I would say yes we could do with a few extra bodies in there with ability.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/03/dolphins-dont-seem-interested-in-re-signing-jason-taylor/ :D lessens the leverage Taylor has in getting a large contract off the Patriots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

He'll be close to a veteran minimum contract anyway TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Chad Jackson had been with the Patriots for a few years.
    He arrived before Moss & Welker.

I think that the O line does need help, specifically at RT, but I don't see them drafting high.
    BB is not a guy to draft for needs, he always goes for the best player available.

Where they have their top 2 this year, you're more likely going to see some sort of LB/DB combination.
    They may pick up a tackle in the 3rd, but I can't see it happening any earlier.

Defensively I think the biggest needs for the Pats are LB and Safety.
    Offensively I think they need some new O linemen and a number 3 receiver, but that's less of a need.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Chad Jackson had been with the Patriots for a few years.
    He arrived before Moss & Welker.

I think that the O line does need help, specifically at RT, but I don't see them drafting high.
    BB is not a guy to draft for needs, he always goes for the best player available.

Where they have their top 2 this year, you're more likely going to see some sort of LB/DB combination.
    They may pick up a tackle in the 3rd, but I can't see it happening any earlier.

Defensively I think the biggest needs for the Pats are LB and Safety.
    Offensively I think they need some new O linemen and a number 3 receiver, but that's less of a need.

Chad Jackson was released before the start of last season. I do see them drafting a WR but not with the 2 first picks unless there is a guy with some serious talent available.

I can see taking an OL if there is one with exceptional talent available ie RT Oher, then again they havent brought in many OL for workouts so far...it could all be a clever ploy, u never know with BB.

The Patriots worked out Pat White this week for the second time. Id love this pick if we can get him in the l8 2nd or early third round.

Also Jason Taylor said he wont be making a decision till after the draft...at d mo its a toss up between Miami and New England. Would the Patriots drafting an OLB with their first pick put an end to Taylor coming to the Patiots?

• Advertisement

Our Day one draft picks were surprising to say the least. Anyways just a little post on who we took.

We traded the #26 and #162 to Green for #41 ,#73 ,and #83 .
    We then traded #47, #124, and #199 to the Raiders for pick #40

We now have four third round picks.

We drafted so far:

At no.34 Patrick Chung Safety (Oregon)
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/patrick-chung?id=71251

At no. 40 Ron Brace DT (Boston College)
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/ron-brace?id=79535

At no. 41 Darius Butler CB (Conneticut) A real Belichick type of guy.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/darius-butler?id=79897

At no. 58 Sebastian Vollmer OT (Houston) Very interesting youtube here
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/sebastian-vollmer?id=89814

And thats our first day draft picks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Sebastian Vollmer's Texan-German accent is the best thing since Schmeichel's Manchester-Danish.

Just adding another Patrick Chung video. http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f87f63

I just listened to BB's post draft press conference. He said a lot of positive things about a couple of players that we took on the 2nd day but he seemed particularly sweet on McKenzie.

He was also asked about a loaded type of questions where a guy brought up Mike Mayocks belief that this year was loaded with LB talent. He pretty much said without saying it out straight that he didn't like the LB class this year at all. :D

I can see Jason Taylor signing with us in the next week or so. He said he'd wait till after the draft to decide, since we only drafted 1 ILB and we badly need OLB pass rushers it seems like a perfect fit.

Ok, We just signed Alex Smith from the Tampa Bay Bucs for an, as yet, undisclosed draft pick next year.

I have a feeling there is a lot more to this trade than just adding depth at TE. I have a feeling that Ben Watson might be on his way out. Stay with me now, the Carolina Panthers are certainly in the market for a quality tight end and I have a feeling that this trade might be a forerunner to a Peppers deal involving a TE which most likely would be Watson.

I could be off the mark there but it seems to make sense, otherwise why use up the cap room just for depth at the position. Smith is decent and a starter last season, but now with the Bucs having signed Kellen Winslow and having Jeremy Stevens already there he was dropping to no. 3.

My gut tells me to expect a Peppers deal to happen very soon now.

Ok, We just signed Alex Smith from the Tampa Bay Bucs for an, as yet, undisclosed draft pick next year.

I have a feeling there is a lot more to this trade than just adding depth at TE. I have a feeling that Ben Watson might be on his way out. Stay with me now, the Carolina Panthers are certainly in the market for a quality tight end and I have a feeling that this trade might be a forerunner to a Peppers deal involving a TE which most likely would be Watson.

I could be off the mark there but it seems to make sense, otherwise why use up the cap room just for depth at the position. Smith is decent and a starter last season, but now with the Bucs having signed Kellen Winslow and having Jeremy Stevens already there he was dropping to no. 3.

My gut tells me to expect a Peppers deal to happen very soon now.

Oh right now i get what you were on about in the other thread.

Id say the Patriots if they get Taylor wont bother with Peppers unless BB is in love with him.

I think the signing of Smith means the end to Watson as a Patriot, he seems like a really nice guy but he's probably overvalued contract wise in BB's eyes.

From today's Boston Globe:

Interest in Taylor

The Patriots have reached out once again to free agent defensive end Jason Taylor in an attempt to woo him to New England, according to an NFL source. The club did not draft a pass-rushing outside linebacker last weekend, and Taylor could help fill that void.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft has said if Taylor, 34, wants to play in New England, it could happen.

The team appears to be stepping up its recruiting efforts, as the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported yesterday that the Patriots have "strong interest" in Taylor, who plans to make a final decision within two weeks.

Taylor has also spoken with the Dolphins, although they haven't been aggressive, and the Buccaneers are another option, the Sun-Sentinel reported. Tampa Bay's defensive coordinator, Jim Bates, has ties to Taylor from his tenure as Miami's defensive coordinator.

One of the 5 players Pats picked of Free Agency over last 24 hours: :D

OL Jermail Porter, 22, was a collegiate wrestler at Kent State, finishing with a 119-43 career record from the 2004-05 season to the 2008-09 campaign. The 6-foot-5-inch, 310-pound offensive lineman finished sixth at the 2009 NCAA Wrestling Championships on March 19. Porter competed as a heavyweight and earned All-American status. The Akron, Ohio native won 29 consecutive matches as a senior, and also earned NCAA bids as a sophomore (2007) and as a junior (2008). He did not play football in high school or college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

He did not play football in high school or college.

Me neither! I could still make it!

• Advertisement

Karlusss wrote: »
    Me neither! I could still make it!

Although he is 310 pounds and 6 foot 5

CURAVQBSHCHZHMD.20061107153144.JPG

Advertisement