Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HunnyMonster By Proxy - MdS Update Thread

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Ok, own up. Who the hell could read that and be more determined to do it?!

Me :o

(In my defence I have two functioning lungs and two functioning legs, which are bits that HM and Zuppy seemed to think were optional extras. And it's not normally as extreme as this year - I think this one will go down in legend)

But you're right - I can't imagine the mental strength you would need to go to the line of a 45km stage this morning after that report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

And there I am worried about doing a marathon, I think I would have pulled out days ago....That is one scary race report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

shels4ever wrote: »
    And there I am worried about doing a marathon, I think I would have pulled out days ago....That is one scary race report.

Snap. Feeling rather humble and a bit of whine-bag about a mere 42k. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Peckham

:eek:

Have read loads of reports about previous MdS adventures, and they all say about the amazing atmosphere on the final day, with singing and general good humour at the startline. Can only imagine what the mood on the startline was like this morning, as I'd imagine Zuppy and HM's tales are a pretty common experience throughou the competitors.

How could you face into 42km over terrible terrain today, having just come through all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's absolutely terrifying :eek:

HM and Zuppy - best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

An awe-inspiring tale. On a positive note, forever, they will be able to say 'We were a part of MDS 2009, when everything went wrong, and still we faced every challenge'.

Any news of Odysseus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Jaysus :eek: The little bit of knee pain niggle, I'm having at the moment, suddenly doesn't feel too bad. I hope they manage to finish it without any lasting injury ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Peckham

And as if it can't get worse for them, I just picked this up from a MDS related forum. They have to spend another night in tents before going to hotels and being able to shower, change, rest properly etc.

Location of the finish: The planned final stage has been cancelled as it is not safe to move the bivouac again, so the race will end today (Friday 3rd) at a location completely inaccessible to spectators. Competitors will spend final night on bivouac before being bussed back to Ouarzazate tomorrow morning - arriving back in OZZ late lunchtime onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

tagoona wrote: »
    I've been reading the reports and have to say,
    "Dear god, what were they thinking".

I bet you HM is already thinking about a double MdS as she seems to be in the mood of doing races twice back-to-back as once is not enough:). Well, may be not this time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

'We were a part of MDS 2009, when everything went wrong, and still we faced every challenge'.

That's the year of the "Mini MdS", isn't it?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

579 BUTLER Ronan 4'36''
    848 ROCHE Karl 4'47''
    691 MCCORMICK James 4'55''
    712 O CONNOR Raymond 5'37''

Still racing

711 Zuppylurk
    614 HunnyMonster
    677 LEONARD Michael
    573 BRACKEN Cathal
    612 FARRELL Gary
    696 MILLS Michael
    713 Odysseus
    346 BREEN David
    784 THOMPSON Joseph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

911sc wrote: »
    That's the year of the "Mini MdS", isn't it?:rolleyes:

Why don't you send that to them as a message, now that they've completed the 91km section and are heading into the final 42kms. I'm sure they wouldn't be long hunting you down. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

I have been following the post with my partner, and want to say congratulation to the Irish Lads.

Especially to Ray O'connor, which I have to support nearly every day :-) but is a great friend of mine. This guy keep impressing me and with a few of the Athenry AC, I thanks them to keep me running and motivate me.
    HM is one of the nicest and interesting person you can meet, well done, a great motivator and worker in promoting sports in Ireland. Ok maybe not from her last few posts :p but more in a general for been one of the fair and honest contributor on boards.ie

I will definetly consider to do the MDS, that I contemplate for a while, and will certainly bring me back in the Ultra and IM world :P

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

579 BUTLER Ronan 4'36''
    848 ROCHE Karl 4'47''
    691 MCCORMICK James 4'55''
    712 O CONNOR Raymond 5'37''

Still racing

711 Zuppylurk
    614 HunnyMonster
    677 LEONARD Michael
    573 BRACKEN Cathal
    612 FARRELL Gary
    696 MILLS Michael
    713 Odysseus
    346 BREEN David
    784 THOMPSON Joseph

614 Hunnymonster 06H15'12'
    699 MOORES Sarah 06H53'06''
    711 Zuppylurk 06H58'03''
    713 Odysseus 07H33'02''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

Any update on how the folks got on? Did they all finish? Any word from return athletes?
    Still amazed by this effort...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Just in the door. I'll need a while to compose a race report but in the meantime some photo's are up at
    http://picasaweb.google.com/fearonj/MDS_raw?feat=directlink
    Thanks to Amadeus for keeping everyone updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Great photos. Welcome home and well done.
    Looking forward to your report.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

looking forward to the report also. Well done!

i think those feet tell the story.... OMG!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Some great photos there HM. I don't know how you had the strength or the inclination to take pics given what you were going through. Congrats on completing a savage race. The report will make for some interesting reading. Welcome back.

• Advertisement

Congratulations on making it home - I think you scared the bejesus out of 99% of the posters on here! Looking forward to the race reports.

Planning on going back next year to do the "full" MdS? :P

naw, job done, time to move on to other stuff. While we lost 20% of the distance, we gained more than 20% in the difficulty of the terrain with 3 dunes days (usually only 1) and a serious number of mountains to climb so I think it evens out overall. The longest ever "long day" also helps the credibility. The real problem out there was the dysentery that effected a huge number of people in the camp. Running 91 and 42 kms when you can't hydrate and eat is not fun. I managed 800 calories between wednesday morning and the finish line although luckily I was keeping water in.

what could be next after that!!!!:eek:

directly next for me is Ironman's on 5th and 12th July. What I plan after that, will depend on what Mr Lenihan has to say this afternoon, oh and I have promised the mother of the bride that I will start to organise a wedding now the mds is over:p

I have promised the mother of the bride that I will start to organise a wedding now the mds is over:p

You only thought the MdS was tough!

Didn't I hear a whisper about a planned fast autumn marathon from you as well? Fancy pacing a lazy sod around to a respectable time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

well done HM , unbelieveable stuff , good preparation for your wedding , it will all seem so easy for you now

Advertisement