Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a fast Growing hedge

Options
  • 26-03-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi, Im looking to grow a hedge to separate my back garden from the neighbours (theres currently just a small metal fence there now) in order to get a bit more privacy. The garden is small so I dont want it to grow outwards too much but at same time Id like it to grow quickly.

Ive seen a red and green leaved tree/hedge around Dublin and wondered if anyone could give me a few ideas as to its name before I go searching for it in garden centres?

Or alternatively can you make any sugestions for other hedges I should grow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Old Gill wrote: »
    Hi, Im looking to grow a hedge to separate my back garden from the neighbours (theres currently just a small metal fence there now) in order to get a bit more privacy. The garden is small so I dont want it to grow outwards too much but at same time Id like it to grow quickly.

Ive seen a red and green leaved tree/hedge around Dublin and wondered if anyone could give me a few ideas as to its name before I go searching for it in garden centres?

Or alternatively can you make any sugestions for other hedges I should grow?

Old Gill

relatively cheap and cheerful fast growing hedging includes: Golden Privet, Grisellinia and Berberis.

The Red & Green hedging you see about is Photinia (commonly referred to as Red Robin), makes a very attractive hedge, will cost much more than the ones listed, but beauty rarely comes cheaply? Note Red Robin is reasonably tough, but would not enjoy an exposed position/harsh winds. Another beauty (but a bit understated) is Prunus Lusitanica (Portugese Laurel) but alas not a very fast grower.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

Consider cotoneaster franchetti

White flowers in early summer and red berries in autumn that will attract wildlife. Very hardy, suited to all soil types and fast growing. Check out some photos on google. I'd highly rec it.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

Thanks lads..whats are your views on escalonnia?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

Escallonia is a great hedge with lovely blooms... However it is not suited to exposed inland areas as it can get frosted. In saying that I have it around my own house in exactly the wrong situation. It does get slightly browned off in the winter but it looks fab in summer and i can live with the look of it in the winter.

Advertisement