Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAS e course. V Basic. LOL

Options
  • 26-03-2009 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had a go at this...

what a disaster of a thing, gave up after about 20minutes.

click this box, click that box. do the next step, no that's the wrong click you should have did this instead. now make the next step, click a box.

oops, that's the wrong click. bummer.

make a radio button in this window take the next step.

*clicks the left mouse button.

..that's the wrong click, you should have clicked on such a such a place.

make the items in the box appear in a different order.
    *clicks the button.

no, that's the wrong step, you should have done this instead.

now, match these pairs together

....wtf

I looked at the people on the course, 40 odd people, some had not logged on for about a year, I wonder why...

well back to C++ for dummies for me.

FAS = FAIL.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

vb6? Much better use of time to learn c++ anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tpotter

I would go with Dietel C++ How To Program, instead of C++ for dummies. Really quality books and personally, I have never read a for dummies book that was worth a flip.

However, if you enjoy it and it works for you, more power to yah.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

tpotter wrote: »
    I would go with Dietel C++ How To Program, instead of C++ for dummies. Really quality books and personally, I have never read a for dummies book that was worth a flip.
    Dietel books are great if you are looking for lots of detail and deep explanations. My preference is for books by Wrox. They are better written and get you up and running quicker. I do agree that dummies books are pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Its gotta start somewhere. I am guessing you have a bit of programming experience. Well if that is the case, this course is wee bit below you.

Most of these courses are based on the idea that you will have little to no experience and that your skill level is quite low. Also they can only go as fast as the slowest person.

I sat through a MOC on ASP.NET and was asleep untill the final 30 mins when they walked through some deployment scenarios. Otherwise it was a waste of 5 days.

If it is a MOC then its going to be quite basic and every step detailed because it has to ensure that you can complete the training.

Maybe take a look at some of the VB.NET or C# stuff out there and use the starter kits to get yourself up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

Ginger wrote: »
    Its gotta start somewhere. I am guessing you have a bit of programming experience. Well if that is the case, this course is wee bit below you.
    Not really. I was doing the A+ course on the fas e-college around 2002 because I was unemployed and looking for something to keep my hopes up.

Then I saw an ad in the paper for computing cert in Sligo and applied because it fell under the back to work scheme. I got to keep my allowances while I went back to college as a mature student. I had the right mindset and
    ended walking out with a degree in the end. No big deal because it is just a piece of paper and not worth jack sh** unless you are looking for a job.

If you want to learn then go at your own pace and just do it. Classes can be boring but then you can take in extra notes and read them while the others are catching up. Anyway courses just hold you back in my opinion and what you say about them sort of agrees with that.

Anyone can learn programing and I always try to help beginners because I would not want them to spend 4 years in college being taught stuff that is useless.

The starter packs that previous poster mentioned are kick ass. If you are really up for it then that is the best way to learn especially if you dont have money and time to waste. There is a site called learnvisualstudio.net where you can download a rake of free videos on the course of your choice.

If you want to be a programmer then there is nothing that can stop you. It is a state of mind and a very rewarding thing to do. All the courses and degrees in the world cant teach you that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

tpotter wrote: »

However, if you enjoy it and it works for you, more power to yah.

excellent book that, I am using it now.

its confusing as it uses std::cout for console output

dummies uses just cout << .........

its something to do with iostream and iostream.h it seems..

pauldiv wrote: »
    Not really. I was doing the A+ course on the fas e-college around 2002 because I was unemployed and looking for something to keep my hopes up.

Then I saw an ad in the paper for computing cert in Sligo and applied because it fell under the back to work scheme. I got to keep my allowances while I went back to college as a mature student. I had the right mindset and
    ended walking out with a degree in the end. No big deal because it is just a piece of paper and not worth jack sh** unless you are looking for a job.

If you want to learn then go at your own pace and just do it. Classes can be boring but then you can take in extra notes and read them while the others are catching up. Anyway courses just hold you back in my opinion and what you say about them sort of agrees with that.

Anyone can learn programing and I always try to help beginners because I would not want them to spend 4 years in college being taught stuff that is useless.

The starter packs that previous poster mentioned are kick ass. If you are really up for it then that is the best way to learn especially if you dont have money and time to waste. There is a site called learnvisualstudio.net where you can download a rake of free videos on the course of your choice.

If you want to be a programmer then there is nothing that can stop you. It is a state of mind and a very rewarding thing to do. All the courses and degrees in the world cant teach you that.

ya totally agree. thousands of fcukers around the world have spent years doing degrees for jack $hit.

I am more interested in c++ than .net for sure.

c++ blends in with my engineering degree and embedded systems more, just need to master it...in about 20 years :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If you want to be well paid then yea your probably going to have to study. The courses and degrees teach you things like how to write maintainable code. Something few self learners get.

TBH there is no real preference on starting to learn a language, all of these are grand for starting off.
    - Java
    - VB.NET
    - C#
    - Objective-C (if you want to write for iPhone/mac apps)

I'd say C++ is harder for a noob then those above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Hobbes wrote: »
    If you want to be well paid then yea your probably going to have to study. The courses and degrees teach you things like how to write maintainable code. Something few self learners get. ....

Dunno if they teach much of that in college. I see an awful lot of programmers with degrees, who write without any regard to maintainability. I think its a habit taught through working with people who insist on it. Over time the practise becomes ingrained. That said some people never get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I didn't like C++ for dummies either. Had a Dietel book for Java which was pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

i had c++ for dummies and didnt like it. (i think its holding up the sterio where it can be of the most use)

I used Dietel for Java and it was fantastic.

Wrox for C# is great i love there books.
    I also have the complete set of MS books for MCPs which are horrid things.

O'reily are good for perl. Also the Head first design patterns book is great.

I think someone stole my Jeff Duntermann assebly langague step by step book when i was in college. (first language i ever learned @ 12/13)

What a nerd am I. :D

@ Op you would be surprised how many places still look for VB6 developers. There are allot of legacy apps in banking and other areas

excellent book that, I am using it now.

its confusing as it uses std::cout for console output

dummies uses just cout << .........

its something to do with iostream and iostream.h it seems..

'std' is the Standard namespace, which includes identifiers like 'cout.' Namespaces help provide a logical way to group common identifiers.

When you use 'std::cout,' you are saying that you are using 'cout,' which is part of the 'std' namespace.

std::cout is actually the correct way to use cout and as you progress, you will learn more about using other namespaces and how to create your own.

However, it can get a little redundant typing std::cout every time you write to the console, so one alternative is to add:
    using namespace std;

below your include statements. Then you can simply write 'cout.'

For example:
    #include <iostream>
    using namespace std;

int main () {
    cout << "foo" << endl;

return 0;
    }

Note that you can use 'cout' and 'endl,' without prefacing it with 'std'

Keep in mind that part of using namespaces is to prevent naming collisions, so if you had a peanut::cout and std::cout, using the 'using namespace' statement could get confusing/cause problems, but this is something for a later lesson ;)

ah

I am completing them examples at the end of chapter 2, no answers mind you.

its heard getting your name around things, the next eample wants to input integers and let the console tell you which are odd and even

so i need to put in some boolean/ modulous thingy somewhere...

hmm

also, do i need using name space std:

in all my codes, as i just have the include iostream in all my examples thus far.?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

where ever you are using the std namespace from iostream, you'll either need std::cout or place a using namespace std; on top.

Generally you won't find a problem by using "using namespace std;"

Yeah modulo 2 will give you odd even, if remainder/modulo of x%2 is 0 then obviously even. Otherwise obviously odd :)

#include <cstdlib>
    #include <iostream.h>

//using namespace std;

int main()
    {

int a,b,c,d,e;

cout << " enter five integers " << endl;

cin >> a >>b >> c >> d >> e;

int smallest = a ;
    if ( b < smallest )
    smallest = b;
    if ( c < smallest )
    smallest = c;
    if ( d < smallest )
    smallest = d;
    if (e < smallest )
    smallest = e;

cout << " the smallest is " << smallest << endl;

int biggest = a;
    if (b > biggest )
    biggest = b;
    if (c > biggest)
    biggest = c;
    if (d > biggest)
    biggest = d;
    if (e > biggest)
    biggest = e;

cout << " the biggest is " << biggest << endl;
    cout << " the average is " << (a + b+ c + d + e)/5 << endl;

system("PAUSE");

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    }

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I blanked out that line you mentioned to include namespace and this compiled. ?

I am using dev c++, I have had some probs with compling things alright, but im surprised this worked.

I just need to know this if I need to include this for sure as I guess I am cutting out unnecessary crap already...

Don't use #include <iostream.h>, use the proper standard way, #include <iostream>

What happens when you do this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

[php]#include <cstdlib>
    #include <iostream.h>

//using namespace std;

int main()
    {
    int a,b,c,d,e;

cout << " enter five integers " << endl;

cin >> a >>b >> c >> d >> e;

int smallest = a ;
    if ( b < smallest )
    smallest = b;
    if ( c < smallest )
    smallest = c;
    if ( d < smallest )
    smallest = d;
    if (e < smallest )
    smallest = e;

cout << " the smallest is " << smallest << endl;

int biggest = a;
    if (b > biggest )
    biggest = b;
    if (c > biggest)
    biggest = c;
    if (d > biggest)
    biggest = d;
    if (e > biggest)
    biggest = e;

cout << " the biggest is " << biggest << endl;
    cout << " the average is " << (a + b+ c + d + e)/5 << endl;

system("PAUSE");

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    }

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>[/php]

I blanked out that line you mentioned to include namespace and this compiled. ?

I am using dev c++, I have had some probs with compling things alright, but im surprised this worked.

I just need to know this if I need to include this for sure as I guess I am cutting out unnecessary crap already...
    added [php ] Tag

It depends on how strict your compiler is and could also be the problem WebMonkey pointed out. The correct syntax is actually "std::cout." However, if it works without it, then your compiler is probably set to be a little bit flexible.

Later on down the road, you will come across namespaces again and a strict compiler that forces you to use the std::cout syntax.

The method I showed you is a quick and easy, read lazy, way to overcome this, but really isn't the best practice, because it can result in naming collisions. This is why How to Program is teaching you the correct "std::cout" syntax.

A better way to do it would be to only mark the identifiers you are actually going to use, as this is safer and will help you better understand the std namespace:
    using std::cout;
    using std::endl;
    using std::cin;

In so far as cutting out "unnecessary crap" I think understanding how namespaces work, specifically the std namespace, is pretty necessary.

#include <cstdlib>
    #include <iostream.h>

//using namespace std;

int main()
    {

int y;
    int x;
    cout << " enter a number " << endl;

cin >> x ;

if ( x % y == 0 )

cout << x << " is even " << endl;

else

cout << x << " is odd " << endl;

system("PAUSE");

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    }
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

hi guys

here is what happens

with iostream.h = program compiles without [and with] namespace

with iostream = program compiles with namespace [else an error]

Im really just getting into this now, im not sure what the 'Y' does in the above code as its not used anywhere, but it seems to work ok...lol

* also,whats the deal with single quotes for printing out.?

cout << 'A'; // print an uppercase A ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

[PHP]
    #include <cstdlib>
    #include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
    {
    int x = 0;

cin >> x ;

// x % 2, result can only be 0 or 1, 0 is even, 1 is odd
    if ( x % 2 == 0 )
    else

system("PAUSE");
    return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    }
    [/PHP]

I think that should work, haven't tried it.

• Advertisement

#include <cstdlib>
    #include <iostream.h>

//using namespace std;

int main()
    {

int y;
    int x;

cin >> x ;

if ( x % y == 0 )

else

system("PAUSE");

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    }
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

hi guys

here is what happens

with iostream.h = program compiles without [and with] namespace

with iostream = program compiles with namespace [else an error]

Im really just getting into this now, im not sure what the 'Y' does in the above code as its not used anywhere, but it seems to work ok...lol

* also,whats the deal with single quotes for printing out.?

cout << 'A'; // print an uppercase A ???
    Don't use the old style C headers, iostream.h

Use the new way, <iostream> - most modern compilers won't even allow you to use iostream.h anyways so get used of using <iostream>
    <iostream> contains name spaces, hince why you must use std::cout or place a using namespace std; on top or use using std::cout.

Might as well start out right.

Use single quotes for characters (1 byte) and use double quotes for strings. As far as I know the null character isn't placed if you use single quotes. Don't use them anyways, only for characters. char x = 'c', string y = "string".

Advertisement