Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megaman x series

Options
  • 26-03-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

What's people's opinions on the Megaman x series. I'm addicted to the series at the moment. Have Megaman x1,x2,x3,x4 and x8 completed. Have yet to start the other three.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I only played X3. Loved it but it's not a patch on Megaman 2,3 and 9. I heard that one of the games, x7 i think,is pretty **** though. You should try the Zero games as well although be warned, they are some of the toughest games ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I have Megaman Zero 3 for the GBA and it's sweet. Very challenging game but alot of fun, one of the best 2D games I've played in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I only played X3. Loved it but it's not a patch on Megaman 2,3 and 9. I heard that one of the games, x7 i think,is pretty **** though. You should try the Zero games as well although be warned, they are some of the toughest games ever made.

Megaman 2 on the nes was awesome!!

I remember getting it for xmas and playing it all day. loved that game so much.

Only game i loved more on the nes was double dragon 2 when my older brother use to play 2 player with me. Damn mirror boss guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

heh,i actually prefer MegamanX series more than Megaman :D (while my no.1 megaman game is on GB the megaman world 5,the one fighting the 9 planets)

played X1,X4,X5,X6 and love them!Zero is my favourite since X4 :) X2 and X3 were boring so that i never finished.

Some innovative elements in X series from the original ones, at that time for me was a huge jump!i will never forget how many hours i spent on X1 when it came out and how Zero was introduced and brought me into a whole new level in action game world!dash,dash and jump followed by melee light saber attack,X4 is a legend.(tho you can use Zero in X3,but that version is kinda meh...)

while the newer MegamanZero on GBA didnt float my boat at all i didnt bother to play them(but my younger brother seems love them).

the story of megaman ends with X6 in my 2D action game world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I played X7 and I thought it was the weakest of the lot. Very frustrating level design, some parts made me SCREAM!
    Megaman 2 on the nes was awesome!!

I remember getting it for xmas and playing it all day. loved that game so much.

Only game i loved more on the nes was double dragon 2 when my older brother use to play 2 player with me. Damn mirror boss guys!!

Megaman 2 was actually the first Megaman game I ever played. Thought it was brill, I loved Airman's stage in particular. Wily's stage was excellent, especially the music in the first section. There was a section on Wily's stage where you had to die to progress any further. This is cos you needed your missile weapon to take out a certain boss and even with a full missile energy bar, you didn't have enough missiles to finish the job. This meant that you had to die and then recharge your missile energy in order to re-enter the boss stage and finish the job. Not sure whether it was a deliberate thing done by Capcom to piss the player off or whether it was just an error on the designer's part.
    Double Dragon 2 was great. I remember it had a funny control system in where the punch and kick button controls would switch around when you changed direction.
    seraphimvc wrote: »
    heh,i actually prefer MegamanX series more than Megaman :D (while my no.1 megaman game is on GB the megaman world 5,the one fighting the 9 planets)

played X1,X4,X5,X6 and love them!Zero is my favourite since X4 :) X2 and X3 were boring so that i never finished.

Some innovative elements in X series from the original ones, at that time for me was a huge jump!i will never forget how many hours i spent on X1 when it came out and how Zero was introduced and brought me into a whole new level in action game world!dash,dash and jump followed by melee light saber attack,X4 is a legend.(tho you can use Zero in X3,but that version is kinda meh...)

while the newer MegamanZero on GBA didnt float my boat at all i didnt bother to play them(but my younger brother seems love them).

the story of megaman ends with X6 in my 2D action game world.

Megaman x4 was quite good but tough as nails. The Mavericks were real tough in that one, especially Magma Dragoon.Thought General was a nightmare to defeat with Zero, I was crying out for an x-buster during that battle. Sigma wasn't too bad once I worked out his attack patterns for the three forms (died a lot before I worked out his attack patterns though).

Love the Zero series as well. I'm currently playing Zero 4 on my trusty VisualboyAdvance emulator. Some really odd boss names though (Pegasolta Eclair?? what type of a bloody name is that for a boss??)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There was a section on Wily's stage where you had to die to progress any further. This is cos you needed your missile weapon to take out a certain boss and even with a full missile energy bar, you didn't have enough missiles to finish the job. This meant that you had to die and then recharge your missile energy in order to re-enter the boss stage and finish the job. Not sure whether it was a deliberate thing done by Capcom to piss the player off or whether it was just an error on the designer's part.

Think I managed that before without dying. You had to creatively use the rush weapons but it was so tough to do it was easier dying and finishing it off when you took out the walls.
    Love the Zero series as well. I'm currently playing Zero 4 on my trusty VisualboyAdvance emulator. Some really odd boss names though (Pegasolta Eclair?? what type of a bloody name is that for a boss??)

You should check out the darius series for stupid boss names. My Home Daddy and Eight-Feet Umbrella to name two.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I never, really saw the appeal of the Megaman series after the third one. They just seemed so wilfully retro even then and took the tried and tested Capcom route of sticking tirelessly to one single formula without ever evolving.

When I was playing the likes of Turrican, which moved the genre on, Capcom, we still refusing to allow players to duck.

Have to agree but it was a case of churning out the sequels for money on a yearly basis than making a good game after the third game. Megaman 9 showed with good level design the engine was perfect. Megaman X was a kick up the arse for the series and most of the X games have been really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,294 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nothing beats Megaman 5 for NES. The X series was okay. X1 was very likeable, X2 and X3 were ok. I had one for the PSone that was good too, but never could beat the last boss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Think I managed that before without dying. You had to creatively use the rush weapons but it was so tough to do it was easier dying and finishing it off when you took out the walls.

ur right. it was crashmans weapon u had to use and then the creative use of the R weapons. i only did it once or twice in my time... saying that i had a routine as a kid of finishing megaman 2 and watching Jaws just about every day in 2nd class. made me the man i am today

• Advertisement

Megaman x4 was quite good but tough as nails. The Mavericks were real tough in that one, especially Magma Dragoon.Thought General was a nightmare to defeat with Zero, I was crying out for an x-buster during that battle. Sigma wasn't too bad once I worked out his attack patterns for the three forms (died a lot before I worked out his attack patterns though).

ahye,some sh!tty imbalance gameplay in X4 design for using Zero as well....the general fight i remember:( but other than that,all the battles are challenging and fun!(X4 is the most well designed and made by the team imo)magma dragon is a pain ye,but i remember in his stage,you can damage him left with half hp with the robot so he is never a big problem :D if ya are talking about toughness...i remember the later X5 and X6 are kinda insane...but god i love them!!

playing megaman series meaning that you are such a man that are ready to die for a 1000times in order just to beat the game, my perseverance/patience is developed based on that lol

Are the X games tougher than the regular megaman series? I got so good at them that I zipped through the aniversary collection with no problem at all.

Are the X games tougher than the regular megaman series? I got so good at them that I zipped through the aniversary collection with no problem at all.
    at some point,to me,X series is easier than the regular ones :Dcause' you can dash, long jump and wall hanging - and due to this reason the gameplay of X series are designed to be 'tougher' than the regular ones.another thing brought in for the X series is the armor-obtained system,your character becomes higher damage/defence after you get those armor parts.so tough or easy is really depends on the way you play it.

generally saying Zero has less upgrade armor-parts(he no armor part in X4) like X does but Zero comes with a slightly higher damage/defence.i never dare to try the no-armor X in the X5,X6 - it would be a pain in a** no doubt

You should check out the darius series for stupid boss names. My Home Daddy and Eight-Feet Umbrella to name two.

Oh yes I know what to do now. You hold onto the Crashman missile weapon instead of releasing it, using it to take out the walls/wall laser thingys whilst using one of the Rush platforms to get around.

Must check out the Darius series,thanks.
    I never, really saw the appeal of the Megaman series after the third one. They just seemed so wilfully retro even then and took the tried and tested Capcom route of sticking tirelessly to one single formula without ever evolving.

When I was playing the likes of Turrican, which moved the genre on, Capcom, we still refusing to allow players to duck.

Capcom DID attempt to change the format in Megaman X7 by going 3-D but it wasn't very well received by the fans unfortunately. Was quite a frustrating game though. Also, from Megaman X5 on you were allowed to duck

ahye,some sh!tty imbalance gameplay in X4 design for using Zero as well....the general fight i remember:( but other than that,all the battles are challenging and fun!(X4 is the most well designed and made by the team imo)magma dragon is a pain ye,but i remember in his stage,you can damage him left with half hp with the robot so he is never a big problem :D if ya are talking about toughness...i remember the later X5 and X6 are kinda insane...but god i love them!!
    playing megaman series meaning that you are such a man that are ready to die for a 1000times in order just to beat the game, my perseverance/patience is developed based on that lol

I got to Magma Dragoon with the robot but the bugger destroyed it after I managed to take about two-thirds of his energy. Managed to get the killer blow on him though with a tiny little scrap of my energy left, phew! Playing X5 at the moment. Have you played thru the first section of Squid Adler's stage (the speedbike section)? Absolute HELL ON EARTH! I thought the speedbike section in the Battletoads games were bad but THIS!!!! Thought I was gonna go clinically insane. I CANNOT recommend Zero highly enough for this stage, especially the later parts of it. Don't pick X unless you have a perverted penchant for agony.

A bit easier I think due to the extra abilities you have.

Must check out the Darius series,thanks.

Well the early games are terrible other than the funny boss names. Darius Gaiden however is excellent and G-Darius, well that game is just awesome, one of the best shmups ever, with some of the silliest boss names ever :)

I think I'm going to have to give the X series a good go now. I enjoyed X3 and have been looking for a good megaman game since I got through the anniversary collection (although megaman 9 is brilliant, still have to get the time to go through wilys castle though).

I got to Magma Dragoon with the robot but the bugger destroyed it after I managed to take about two-thirds of his energy. Managed to get the killer blow on him though with a tiny little scrap of my energy left, phew! Playing X5 at the moment. Have you played thru the first section of Squid Adler's stage (the speedbike section)? Absolute HELL ON EARTH! I thought the speedbike section in the Battletoads games were bad but THIS!!!! Thought I was gonna go clinically insane. I CANNOT recommend Zero highly enough for this stage, especially the later parts of it. Don't pick X unless you have a perverted penchant for agony.

magma dragoon,as i can recall,you need to be incredibly good in pressing dash+jump togther to dodge his attack, and ,most importantly,when he is attacking with his 'hadouken',you can get to his back and attack freely during that period:D

the bike stages are fun since X4,brilliant but is definitely one of those controller-throwing stages. I rarely use X since X4,and you cant use Zero straight from the start in X6,so i guess i have only used Zero in X5. the squid boss as i can remember is flying in the sky 90% of the time lol X will defo have a hard time to beat him

I have got the X series collection(X1-X6 included) ps2 version game(Retro you might consider that),i run the game in one go from X4 to X6 when i have action game hunger:p

and yes,forget to mention you can duck from X5 on lol i didnt like it nor dislike it just that i always forget that i can duck and die many times in some stages for that. speaking of the difficulty,i wiki X6 and lol this:

'X6 is considered to be the most challenging game in the series. Some fans appreciated the additional challenge, but others consider the game to be frustrating.' have fun dude!!

magma dragoon,as i can recall,you need to be incredibly good in pressing dash+jump togther to dodge his attack, and ,most importantly,when he is attacking with his 'hadouken',you can get to his back and attack freely during that period:D

the bike stages are fun since X4,brilliant but is definitely one of those controller-throwing stages. I rarely use X since X4,and you cant use Zero straight from the start in X6,so i guess i have only used Zero in X5. the squid boss as i can remember is flying in the sky 90% of the time lol X will defo have a hard time to beat him

I have got the X series collection(X1-X6 included) ps2 version game(Retro you might consider that),i run the game in one go from X4 to X6 when i have action game hunger:p

and yes,forget to mention you can duck from X5 on lol i didnt like it nor dislike it just that i always forget that i can duck and die many times in some stages for that. speaking of the difficulty,i wiki X6 and lol this:

'X6 is considered to be the most challenging game in the series. Some fans appreciated the additional challenge, but others consider the game to be frustrating.' have fun dude!!

When Magma Dragoon done his Dragon Punch I dashed under him when he was in mid-air,got behind him and slashed like crazy. He's got this continuous fire attack though that is very hard to avoid.

The X4 bike stage wasn't too bad but X5 wasjust frustrating as hell. When I FINALLY managed to do it I also managed to collect all 8 crystals on the way so I could open up the door to the Light capsule. I was pretty chuffed at that.

Checked Amazon for the Megaman X legends collection on PS2but Capcom, the assholes only released it in the USA. That meant that I had to buy the PS1 versions of each game and dust off my old PS1 memory card. Doesn't it just pi$$ you off that you can't access the Ps1 memory card on the PS2 browser.It meant that I had to go into some of my old PS1 games and delete the excess memory on the card.

Recently ordered X6 on the internet. I'll be looking forward to cracking it as soon as I have Megaman x5 done and dusted. BTW, in Megaman X5, what conditions must you satisfy in order to prevent Zero from going Maverick after he crashes into the colony with the shuttle?

Doesn't it just pi$$ you off that you can't access the Ps1 memory card on the PS2 browser.It meant that I had to go into some of my old PS1 games and delete the excess memory on the card.

Eh, yes you can. You can even copy the PS1 saves over to a PS2 card if you are running out of memory.

Eh, yes you can. You can even copy the PS1 saves over to a PS2 card if you are running out of memory.

How do you access it? I went into my browser when I had a PS1 card in and it didn't even recognise it. It was the same as if I didn't have any memory card in. BTW I have one of the newer, lite model PS2s

When Magma Dragoon done his Dragon Punch I dashed under him when he was in mid-air,got behind him and slashed like crazy. He's got this continuous fire attack though that is very hard to avoid.

The X4 bike stage wasn't too bad but X5 wasjust frustrating as hell. When I FINALLY managed to do it I also managed to collect all 8 crystals on the way so I could open up the door to the Light capsule. I was pretty chuffed at that.

hehe :D really,cant remember how many times did i fail for that motor stage to get the armor:D but good fun!
    Checked Amazon for the Megaman X legends collection on PS2but Capcom, the assholes only released it in the USA. That meant that I had to buy the PS1 versions of each game and dust off my old PS1 memory card. Doesn't it just pi$$ you off that you can't access the Ps1 memory card on the PS2 browser.It meant that I had to go into some of my old PS1 games and delete the excess memory on the card.

Recently ordered X6 on the internet. I'll be looking forward to cracking it as soon as I have Megaman x5 done and dusted. BTW, in Megaman X5, what conditions must you satisfy in order to prevent Zero from going Maverick after he crashes into the colony with the shuttle?

:p;)my ps2 is a chipped version which can play NTSC/PAL game no problem

i remember that the success rate of the shuttle to blow the space station thing kinda depends on luck but the more enemies you defeat the higher the chances (but not necessary,caused' i defeated 8 of them and go kamikaze but failed lol) ,oh yes,he turned into virus infected zero,i remember you need to defeat him in order to get him back later ?:D( i am not really sure about this at all)
    and little secret of zero in X5 i remember he can get an upgrade into silver dark zero, a stage that you slide down the wall like the heart you obtain in X1 in chameleon stage,which only available if you are using zero in the last few special stages (to fight the final boss).

good memories...how i wish i have my ps2 with me now...

• Advertisement

I retract my previous post - I was thinking of Megaman 6, which was awesome. Purely because you could fly for the most part.

X was and still is a great. X2 follows up with some decency, and introduces an alternate ending (I think), It was good. Then X3 introduces some madness. This is the first time you get to play as Zero (only in certain areas of the maps) plus X has a stupid amount of upgrades - 4 performance chips, 4 armor parts and 4 rider mechs. All of which, are insane in their own right.

Theres also some hidden easter eggs. In X you can get Ryu's Hadoken. In X2 you can get the Dragon Punch. And if you use Zero in the right time and place he will die, again, giving X his beam sabre and giving you an alt. ending. Each of these weapons is pretty much instakill on bosses but can only be used when you have full health. Also in X3 you can get Gold Armor, which unlocks all 4 performance cheaps, instead of being limited to 1 at a time. So they crammed a ton of content into the 3rd one. And from what I can remember of X4 it was also quite good, but its been years since I played it, and my copy was a crappy used with broken music files...or were all the boss battles just meant to be quiet as hell? Never could beat it, so I've only played X through X4

Never be ashamed to refer to an online walkthrough with a megaman game I always say - theres too much crazy going on :p frankly I have more fun just doing it than trying to figure out all the randomness. Its not like its final fantasy or anything

Tried it again and it seems to be working now. I dunno, I probably didn't put it in enough the last time, oh well.

hehe :D really,cant remember how many times did i fail for that motor stage to get the armor:D but good fun!

:p;)my ps2 is a chipped version which can play NTSC/PAL game no problem

i remember that the success rate of the shuttle to blow the space station thing kinda depends on luck but the more enemies you defeat the higher the chances (but not necessary,caused' i defeated 8 of them and go kamikaze but failed lol) ,oh yes,he turned into virus infected zero,i remember you need to defeat him in order to get him back later ?:D( i am not really sure about this at all)
    and little secret of zero in X5 i remember he can get an upgrade into silver dark zero, a stage that you slide down the wall like the heart you obtain in X1 in chameleon stage,which only available if you are using zero in the last few special stages (to fight the final boss).

good memories...how i wish i have my ps2 with me now...

I went back into some stages and picked up a few items (and armors) I missed. Beat the last Maverick (Mattrex) with one hour to go. Zero destroyed the space colony successfully this time so I was able to use him for the final stages. Managed to wipe the floor with X and later with Sigma's two forms using Zero. That's x1,x2,x3,x4,x5 and x8 done and dusted. Just x6 and x7 to go. In x6, Rainy Turtloid was easy enough once I worked out what to do with him. Metal Shark Player's junkyard stage in x6 had me screaming a lot though but I got thru it. Two Mavericks down, six to go.
    Overheal wrote: »
    I retract my previous post - I was thinking of Megaman 6, which was awesome. Purely because you could fly for the most part.

X was and still is a great. X2 follows up with some decency, and introduces an alternate ending (I think), It was good. Then X3 introduces some madness. This is the first time you get to play as Zero (only in certain areas of the maps) plus X has a stupid amount of upgrades - 4 performance chips, 4 armor parts and 4 rider mechs. All of which, are insane in their own right.

Theres also some hidden easter eggs. In X you can get Ryu's Hadoken. In X2 you can get the Dragon Punch. And if you use Zero in the right time and place he will die, again, giving X his beam sabre and giving you an alt. ending. Each of these weapons is pretty much instakill on bosses but can only be used when you have full health. Also in X3 you can get Gold Armor, which unlocks all 4 performance cheaps, instead of being limited to 1 at a time. So they crammed a ton of content into the 3rd one. And from what I can remember of X4 it was also quite good, but its been years since I played it, and my copy was a crappy used with broken music files...or were all the boss battles just meant to be quiet as hell? Never could beat it, so I've only played X through X4

Never be ashamed to refer to an online walkthrough with a megaman game I always say - theres too much crazy going on :p frankly I have more fun just doing it than trying to figure out all the randomness. Its not like its final fantasy or anything

I managed to get the Dragon Punch in X2 but didn't bother getting the Hadouken in x1. The dragon punch was very useful in defeating Sigma's viral form. Didn't get the gold armor in x3 unfortunately as I had already chosen an attack upgrade, meaning I was ineligible for the Gold armor.
    I downloaded x4 for my PC but for some reason it wouldn't play the cut scenes or music. Couldn't work it out. Eventually I just bought it on Amazon for the PS1.

Also, I always use the Gamefaqs.com guides for collecting all the items and armors. Thanks to those items guides I found heart tanks in places I woulda NEVER thought of looking.

:( you got my hopes up for a minute thinking someone had successfully gotten a playstation emulator to run on their computer. Tried it a couple days ago, had to intercept a couple weak trojans for my troubles.

Download all your emulators from www.zophar.net. For PS1 use epsxe. you might need to get some plugins for it but I think the standard ones work with everything. Can't tell you were to get the PS1 bios though but you are doing something wrong if you are getting trojans from the sites.

Overheal wrote: »
    :( you got my hopes up for a minute thinking someone had successfully gotten a playstation emulator to run on their computer. Tried it a couple days ago, had to intercept a couple weak trojans for my troubles.

No unfortunately. I DID download one a while back but I don't have the foggiest how to work it. What site did you get it from? The prob with looking for emulators and roms to download is that there's tons of dodgy pop-up ridden/viral sites out there that host them.

[MOD EDIT: PLEASE DO NOT LIKE TO ROM SITES, THANKS]

Hmm... strange. That site must have gone downhill recently because it was the go to place for all emulators and emulator news when I was big into them.

In other unrelated news, I love my ISP

attachment.php?attachmentid=77308&stc=1&d=1239729811

:)

At the moment I'm playing through Megaman 7 - it came after X1 didnt it? Doesnt feel like a Megaman game really, mainly because the sprites are too big. And they went back to the rush thing - I liked it much better in 6, when he turned into a fcuking jetsuit. Rush coil is teh gay. But other than that some of these bosses are nice and challenging - Blast Man is mean.

• Advertisement

I stopped playing the megaman collection when I got to megaman 7. Just didn't feel like a megaman game.

Advertisement