Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with wireless router!

Options
  • 26-03-2009 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

righto folks. im not terrible with computers but im by no means a computer programmer! i have a new wireless router ... netgear wgt624...

i cant connect it to the internet! my computer connects to it no problem and the signall the router broadcasts is perfect. but no signal is getting to it! my old router the netgear dg834gsp connects fine to both!

i reckon (through the process of elimination) it is obviously a problem connecting the broadband from the wall to the router! the lead i am using doesnt seem to fit properly! as in the new router all 5 slots are ethernet cable sized! (4lans and an internet in cable)

can u get an ethernet cable that is ethernet one end and normal the other (by normal i mean capable of fitting into the splitter socket that connects the the phoneline at the wall?)

i appreciate any help that comes my way and im sorry if this problem has already been covered on this forum!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

I'm afraid your Broadband service is DSL and your new router is a cable modem (which doesn't take a DSL cable).

If you want to get a new wireless router, you have to make sure it's a ADSL router.

Alternatively, you can run an ethernet cable from your old Netgear into the Internet Port of the new router but that seems pointless in this case because they are both wireless.

Why did you get a new router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

cpu-dude wrote: »
    I'm afraid your Broadband service is DSL and your new router is a cable modem (which doesn't take a DSL cable).

If you want to get a new wireless router, you have to make sure it's a ADSL router.

good man! thanks for getting back to me!

does anyone wanna buy a netgear wgt624 router? :D:D:D just kiddin mods!

Alternatively, you can run an ethernet cable from your old Netgear into the Internet Port of the new router but that seems pointless in this case because they are both wireless.

Why did you get a new router?

i kinda lied its not my router! my neighbour wanted to become wireless and bought the router! i said i would help set it up and hence encountered this problem! thought it would be easier if i said it was mine!

she has a netgear adsl2+ modem dm111psp box. i thought i could run the internet into this and ethernet from this to the wireless router to get wirelss but it doesnt work! is this for the same reason as before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Penis Eye wrote: »
    i kinda lied its not my router! my neighbour wanted to become wireless and bought the router! i said i would help set it up and hence encountered this problem! thought it would be easier if i said it was mine!

she has a netgear adsl2+ modem dm111psp box. i thought i could run the internet into this and ethernet from this to the wireless router to get wirelss but it doesnt work! is this for the same reason as before?
    Well the wireless can still be setup on the router (Ethernet cable from port 1-4 to your computer) but the internet settings depend on who providers her Broadband, who is it?

Well the wireless can still be setup on the router (Ethernet cable from port 1-4 to your computer) but the internet settings depend on who providers her Broadband, who is it?

post office! were up north!

cheers for answerin my questions mate. i no how frustrating it can be sometimes!

• Advertisement
Advertisement