Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chick peas

• 26-03-2009 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I'm a veggie, and I've been recommended to eat chick peas. I have no clue what to do with them tho? any suggestions very welcome? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Houmus is a good and tasty start. Chickpeas are a great base for all kind of salads. Cheers Oliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Good in all kinds of veggie curries too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ms momo

Make falafel (little chickpea burgers). I make mine in the oven and then eat them in toasted pita bread with pesto or natural yoghurt and salad. Delicious!

A good way to stock up on chickpeas or other beans, is to batch cook them from dry after soaking overnight.
    And then store them in the frezzer once they have cooled.
    Much cheaper, less waste, and less salt.

We have a veggie forum btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

God I LOVE chickpeas!

Hummus (blend a can of chick peas with a little of the chick pea water, some olive oil, the juice of a lemon, some garlic, some tahini - which is a pulped sesame seed paste - and a pinch of salt - taste and adjust as you're making it.)

Chickpeas hve that wonderful, nutty, starchy consistency that will take a lot of salt, spice and lemon juice.

The canned variety are easier to use than the dried ones (no need for steeping and boiling), and they're great added to curries, throw a handful through some couscous, when you're boiling rice add a teaspoon of whole cumin seeds at the start of cooking and a few handfuls of chickpeas to heat through about two minutes before draining.

Try crushing some with a fork, but don't mash them into a paste, then mix through some lemon juice, salt, and a little chopped fresh parsley and/or coriander and serve as a side dish.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Curried lentil & chickpea burgers are really tasty as well. Ill find the recp I use and paste it at lunch.

Here it is. Very very tatsy.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Lentil-Chickpea-Burgers-W-Coriander-Cream-No-Nuts-237032

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Great thrown into almost any soup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

On their own with chilli sauce - win! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MissesMe

Chick Peas, carrots, onions, parsnips with some proper stock make a really really fab soup!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Stir-fry vegetables and chickpeas with ginger, garlic, chilli, and soya sauce. Throw cold rice into the pan for the last three minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

And a recipe that has proved popular with a lot of people:

MOROCCAN SPAGHETTI

FEEDS 4

Ingredients:

300g/10fi oz dried spaghetti
    100ml/3fi fl oz olive oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    8 Fresh tomatoes, chopped (I use two punnets of Tesco Value cherry tomatoes, quatered).
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp ground cumin
    pinch of turmeric
    100g/ 3 and a half oz toasted, flaked almonds
    100g/3 and a half oz cooked chick peas, drained
    and rinsed if tinned
    bunch each of fresh parsley and coriander leaves,
    finely chopped handful of freshly chopped mint
    leaves
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

Process:

Heat the oil and gently fry the onion and garlic. Add the tomatoes and cook over a medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes break down.

Cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water until al dente.

Mix in cinnamon, cumin and turmeric into the sauce.

Season the sauce and then add the almonds and chick peas.

Fold the herbs into sauce just before serving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I use them instead of pine nuts in pesto as I Prefer the texture and taste, also means that you can serve that pesto to anyone without fear of killing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MissesMe

I use them instead of pine nuts in pesto as I Prefer the texture and taste, also means that you can serve that pesto to anyone without fear of killing them.

Never though of that,
    going to try that sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

In stews, salads, pasta sauces along with flafel and veggie burgers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I never eat cous cous without throwing in some chick peas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭emollett

450g spinach
    2 tbsp melted butter & oil
    1 chopped garlic clove
    1 small can / 225g chickpeas
    100g feta cheese, cubed
    salt & pepper
    120ml sour cream
    boiled noodles

cook spinach in butter&oil till wilted. Add chickpeas and feta. Season then add sour cream, mix with noodles. Eat.

Very good in currys. Also with a tomatoey sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

The canned variety are easier to use than the dried ones (no need for steeping and boiling), and they're great added to curries, throw a handful through some couscous, when you're boiling rice add a teaspoon of whole cumin seeds at the start of cooking and a few handfuls of chickpeas to heat through about two minutes before draining.

In my experience canned chickpeas don't make successful falafels. Falafels are traditionally deep fried and made with dried and soaked chickpeas - with the canned variety, the falafel fizzed on the top of the oil until it was a quarter of the original size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭peepeep

this is my favourite recipe for chickpeas:

minted chickpea and feta salad

in a bowl, toss together one drained tin of chickpeas, one finely diced red onion, one or two handfuls of cherry tomatoes (halved), some mixed leaves, half a block of feta (cubed) and a generous handful of chopped fresh mint. dress with the juice of half a lemon and a bit of salt and pepper.

this is delicious on its own as a lunch or can be served as a side with some nice fish or steak. also, its ridiculously healthy and stupidly delicious.

Advertisement