Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N32 possibly closed ALL day next Tuesday

• 26-03-2009 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭

I read on the Live Drive (Dublin City 103.2FM) blogspot that due to the roadworks at the N32/M1/M50 intersection, the N32 may be closed ALL day next Tuesday 2nd April. It'll be amrageddon if that does happen!!! Has anyone heard anything else about this and if it is going ahead? Closing a national road at the junction to the busiest motorway in the country for a full day sounds crazy. I can't even bear to think what implication there would be on the traffic :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

highdef wrote: »
    I read on the Live Drive (Dublin City 103.2FM) blogspot that due to the roadworks at the N32/M1/M50 intersection, the N32 may be closed ALL day next Tuesday 2nd April. It'll be amrageddon if that does happen!!! Has anyone heard anything else about this and if it is going ahead? Closing a national road at the junction to the busiest motorway in the country for a full day sounds crazy. I can't even bear to think what implication there would be on the traffic :eek:

If it's to complete the works on the junction I don't see how it's crazy, it has to be done.

And yes, traffic could be pretty mental, expecially if not everyone knows about it in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Well with the roadworks on the Oscar Traynor Road finally finished after 5 years the traffic shouldn't be too much of a problem. :rolleyes:

This stuff really should be done at night time to avoid this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I suppose if they closed it on the Monday, no-one'd believe it.......

surely a weekend would be better time to close it- less traffic and less time pressure to get whatever job that has to be done done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭highdef

I agree that if it has to be done, it has to be done. But on a Tuesday :confused: I'm sure a Saturday or Sunday would make much more sense. And I didn't know that Oscar Traynor was finished? I was up that way a month or so ago and they had progressed a fair bit but looked like there was a fair bit still to do. I thought they were doing the road widening all the way to the Malahide Road? And I may be wrong but does Oscar Traynor Road not end at the junction with Clonshaugh Road at Northside Shopping centre? I was under the impression that Coolock Lane started here and went as far as the Swords Road (R132) on the west side of the M1? Can anyone correct me on that, or confirm if that is the case. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

And I may be wrong but does Oscar Traynor Road not end at the junction with Clonshaugh Road at Northside Shopping centre? I was under the impression that Coolock Lane started here and went as far as the Swords Road (R132) on the west side of the M1? Can anyone correct me on that, or confirm if that is the case. Thanks

That is correct!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nerdingout

Its only going to be down to one lane. All closures on the N32 are over night. The Live Drive Blog says "may be closed", however the show was giving out last week that all closures on the N32 are over night which makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the confirmation about Coolock Lane, KC61 :)

Sure if it is just down to one lane between Baskin roundabout and the interchange, it shouldn't make much of a difference as most of this section is already only one lane each way with a mahoosive hard shoulder on each side.......oh, have I just opened up a bag of worms :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The signage at the N32 states closed from 2200 till 0600 from march 20th till today march 27th. Doesn't mention anything about tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

What specific roadworks will actually be facilitated by the closure?

BluntGuy wrote: »

From the m50/m1 roundabout to the roundabout on the n32 outside bewleys hotel. Not the whole n32 itself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

The centra store opposite astro park has Oscar Tranor Road on its signs, so it should read Coolock lane instead? I always thought Coolock lane was from the roundabout to the swords Rd jct, and you have my road (Santry Ave) which starts at the Swords Rd and finishes at the Ballymun Rd. Intresting some people call Santry Ave Coolock lane.

The Mind boggles.

Most people I know call Santry Avenue Santry Lane. Apparantly, when there was a mass exodus of people from the city centre out to Ballymun in the 60's, the "new" locals unofficially renamed Santry Avenue to Santry Lane because it appeared more like a lane than an avenue....which is quite true.
    As for the signs on the Centra on Coolock Lane, they're definitely wrong. You have to take into account that these are very very old roads and before any of the housing and industrial estates and the shopping centre were built, all this area was in the countryside. There was no Dundaniel Road or Kilmore or Bonnybrook estates. It was mainly just fields. The Tonlegee Road travelled west from the Malahide Road and where it met at the junction with Clonshaugh Lane, it became Coolock Lane. Coolock Lane then travelled west to the Swords Road. There was no M1 until the mid 80's, I think. When this was built, Coolock Lane was disected. So it still exists on both sides of the M1, just as if the M1 isn't even there! There weren't really any other roads of note in the area. They were the three main roads. Maybe there were some little boreen type cart roads that I don't know about. And from looking at a map, maybe the Tonlegee Road did not exist in the past, or if it did, I'd imagine it would've been on an a different alignment. Roads were rarely built as straight hundreds of years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

Well said that man!! Thanks for that very good reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

BluntGuy wrote: »

I'm guessing beam installation / fixing / decking for the new bridge over the N32 just to the east of M50/M1 interchange.

just passed through and no works affecting traffic. Still 2lanes both ways and no signage to suggest a closure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

any update on what was actually done and what the schedule for some of the new traffic movements onto the new bridges will be?

Their still working away on it but its not affecting traffic. The major parts of the structure is in place. No plans or signs to suggest any traffic events.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

Most people I know call Santry Avenue Santry Lane. Apparantly, when there was a mass exodus of people from the city centre out to Ballymun in the 60's, the "new" locals unofficially renamed Santry Avenue to Santry Lane because it appeared more like a lane than an avenue....which is quite true.
    As for the signs on the Centra on Coolock Lane, they're definitely wrong. You have to take into account that these are very very old roads and before any of the housing and industrial estates and the shopping centre were built, all this area was in the countryside. There was no Dundaniel Road or Kilmore or Bonnybrook estates. It was mainly just fields. The Tonlegee Road travelled west from the Malahide Road and where it met at the junction with Clonshaugh Lane, it became Coolock Lane. Coolock Lane then travelled west to the Swords Road. There was no M1 until the mid 80's, I think. When this was built, Coolock Lane was disected. So it still exists on both sides of the M1, just as if the M1 isn't even there! There weren't really any other roads of note in the area. They were the three main roads. Maybe there were some little boreen type cart roads that I don't know about. And from looking at a map, maybe the Tonlegee Road did not exist in the past, or if it did, I'd imagine it would've been on an a different alignment. Roads were rarely built as straight hundreds of years ago!

Dont forget "Old Coolock Lane" is still there. If you turn in at the Centra and then turn left and head back towards Santry. That stretch is Old Coolock Lane and I'm guessing the original road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

And I may be wrong but does Oscar Traynor Road not end at the junction with Clonshaugh Road at Northside Shopping centre? I was under the impression that Coolock Lane started here and went as far as the Swords Road (R132) on the west side of the M1? Can anyone correct me on that, or confirm if that is the case. Thanks

There's a city council road-sign outside the football fields (beside Larch Hill) to the east of the junction with Clonshaugh road saying that it's Oscar Traynor Road. The current sign was fitted last year and replaces one of the old green signs which suggests it's been OTR for a very long time. I think bryanmurr is close to the answer - the old road was and still is Coolock Lane and the new road extends Oscar Traynor road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

markpb wrote: »
    There's a city council road-sign outside the football fields (beside Larch Hill) to the east of the junction with Clonshaugh road saying that it's Oscar Traynor Road. The current sign was fitted last year and replaces one of the old green signs which suggests it's been OTR for a very long time. I think bryanmurr is close to the answer - the old road was and still is Coolock Lane and the new road extends Oscar Traynor road.

Actually I think this has more to do with snobbery than anything else

Coolock lane extends from the junction at Dundaniel road to the Swords road the old coolock lane is still in behind there running behind centra cut in half by the M1/M50 and the old juntion is the bit of road way that is in front of the exhaust place on the swords road.

Oscar Traynor road was the upgraded bit of coolock lane that was improved when Northside shopping centre etc was built and runs from the junction of the Malahide road to Dundaniel road.

But as apartments and houses have been built off coolock lane these people did not want their properties associated with the name Coolock so they call it Oscar Traynor Road. Its official name is still Coolock lane.

http://www.astropark.ie/

Look at the address that astro park uses

then this apartment is opposite it

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=673944

This is the nonsense that goes on because we still haven't got proper postal codes.

• Advertisement

Interesting stuff, lads. The Old Coolock Lane could be something alright. However, I think to the east of the M1, it is now called Aulden Grange and to the west, Oak View. Again, I'm open to correction.

Before the M1/Santry bypass was built, was Old Coolock Lane the only road between Coolock/Northside and santry? Or did "New" Coolock Lane/Oscar traynor Road co-exist at the same time?

Here's more info:
    Google Maps shows Coolock Lane starting from the junction with Kilmore Road. However, it also shows the main Road into Clonshaugh Industrial Estate as being Oscar Traynor Road :confused:
    Windows Live Maps shows it as starting with the junction with Clonshaugh Lane.
    And finally, the latest 5th Edition of the Dublin Ordnance Survey map is not completely clear but appears to show Coolock Lane as starting at the junction with Larch Hill Estate and heading west to the Swords Road. This seems like the most likely because:
    a) It's the Ordnace Survey Map and they tend be fairly accurate and
    b) If you look at aeriel images on Google Earth, for example, the Old Coolock Lane alignment seems to rejoin the current alignment at Larch Hill Estate, if you follow the route around Centra.

So going by the above, it would appear (but I may be wrong) that "New" Coolock Lane starts at the junction with Larch Hill Estate and heads west to the Swords Road. This would put the new apartments at the junction of Dundaniel Road on Oscar Traynor Road (or possibly Dundaniel Road) and the Astroturf would still be on Coolock Lane, as stated on their website.

Any comments/contradictions/arguments/agreements are very much welcome. I want to finally get this cleared up....I have so little to worry about, don't I? :o

shltter wrote: »
    Actually I think this has more to do with snobbery than anything else. Coolock lane extends from the junction at Dundaniel road to the Swords road the old coolock lane is still in behind there running behind centra cut in half by the M1/M50 and the old juntion is the bit of road way that is in front of the exhaust place on the swords road.

No arguments on the snobbery front but it still doesn't explain why DCC (and previously Dublin Corpo) erected a sign saying Oscar Traynor road beside Larch Hill. There hasn't been a Glasnevin avenue style plebiscite that I'm aware of :D

Is it the east side of Larch Hill? If so, that might strenghten my argument mentioned above

Yep, halfway between LHE and the junction with Dundaniel road.

Edit: I see what you mean about the old alignment, it definitely looks like it ran through the shop and the new apartments and out roughly where the sign is now.

Hmmmm, interesting. So do you think we may have an answer based on my last long post above? If that is the case, it looks like I was incorrect with my initial thoughts and that "New" Coolock Lane only starts at the junction with Larch Hill, and not Dundaniel Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Hmmmm, interesting. So do you think we may have an answer based on my last long post above? If that is the case, it looks like I was incorrect with my initial thoughts and that "New" Coolock Lane only starts at the junction with Larch Hill, and not Dundaniel Road.

Before the "new" coolock lane was built the Oscar Traynor Road ran to just beyond the junction with Dundaniel road to where the wall alongside the Football pitches ends then it was Coolock lane which was a small narrow road which is now in behind centra and forms the entrance into Aulden etc.

If Larch Hill in on Oscar Traynor Road now then they have renamed the road upto there probably at the time Larch Hill was built to facilitate the developer in not having his new properties on Coolock lane.

03042009315.jpg

02042009312.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Passed over the weekend also and it looks like they are not far off lifting in the beams over the M1S off-slip and again at the far side of the junction over the on-slip back down onto the M1(Port Tunnel) section.

N32 between the M1/M50 roundabout and the roadabout at bewleys will be closed again from 2200 - 0600 between april 14th till april 16th.

• Advertisement
Advertisement