Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone on here breed locusts?

Options
  • 26-03-2009 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

i bought the tank and a load of locusts on monday to start breeding for my pet gekko
    3 did die since. but i think thats a small amount from 50 locusts .
    anyway i have a sun trap in the back bedrooom whitch is spare room now so i leave them near the light . saves my heat mat costs etc.
    just wondering does anyone else do this . my daughter is dying to see if they lay eggs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭alcon1984

Ya I dont have as many as you got, iv got about 20ish adults.

I keep them in a fanaraum with a heat mat underneath which is on 24 -7. Iv got a 60w light bulb on one end that is on a timer and comes on at 8 in the morning and off at 9 in the night.

They should be kept at between 30-34 degree during the day and the temp should always be above 20. Mine stays at 20 with the mat and then rises when the bulb comes on gradually rising to around 32 -33 after a few hours and staying at that untill the bulb goes back off.

Iv got a pot of sand left in the corner for laying and that needs to be 4-5 inches deep and not let get too dry, I spray my sand every evening to keep moisture up. When eggs are layed I remove the tub and put into another smaller fanaraum with heat mat under to hatch.

O and they eat like crazy so keep the food well toped up and you wont beleave how quick small ones grow untill you see it for yourself.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

How easy is it to breed them, im fed up having to go get them in the pet shop..
    How do you clean out their enclosure ?
    What watt or type of bulb do you use ?
    Any pics of your set up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 niceguyjoe

whats the turn around for the eggs etc . joseph
    do you get many dead ones etc..

Dont get many dead ones, you shouldnt get many if there kept in the right conditions.

I use an standard 60w bulb but I will be changing to the R50 reflector type when I get a chance.

There easy to breed as long as the temps are correct and youv got a laying container and are feed well.

I dont clean my container untill iv feed off all the locusts off from that container. Iv a few containers of locusts at different stages so there is a cycle going. When they have all been eaten it gets cleaned and then the next batch of eggs go in that container and so on.

I dont have any pics but look at the link below.

http://www.meades.org/locusts/locusts.html

i was searching the almighty web and these dubia roaches seem to be 4 times more in nutrition than any cricket or locust but they take 3 months to breed i hear .\
    any1 got the 411 on this?:D

• Advertisement

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/feeder/233213-livefoods-careguides.html

Scroll down the page of the link - dubias are down the bottom.

my locusts gave birth today . kids couldnt belive it hehehe
    got the dubias in the post the other day also mature and ready to breed.
    ill keep you guys posted

ohh since i start feeding the lizard roaches he dosnt want locusts any more..

Advertisement