Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone, faulty, water damaged? Sigma.

• 26-03-2009 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

hi

i bought a nokia N 96 a week ago and never used it yet , when i took it out of the box it wouldnt turn on , so i went to sigma telecom in finglas and they tookit in , and came back to me and said its water damaged , now i never took it out of the box , seemingly condensation voids your warranty etc

so to cut a long story short they gave it back to me , i have to pay €15 for the priviledge and they gave me a picture supposed to be inside my phone showing water damage

but in the bottom right corner it has V3 which i presume could be motorolla v3 ????
    has anybody else been told water damage and have a pic ???

maybe compare and see if its the same picture they send out ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Well the inside of all V3s will look the same. The water damage indicator will probably look very similiar on them all as well if the dye has been triggered.

What exactly happened?
    - you bought it a week ago - ok.
    - when you took it out of the box - when was this?
    - went to sigma - when was this?

Also, where did you buy the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Acoustic wrote: »
    hi

i bought a nokia N 96 a week ago and never used it yet , when i took it out of the box it wouldnt turn on , so i went to sigma telecom in finglas and they tookit in , and came back to me and said its water damaged , now i never took it out of the box , seemingly condensation voids your warranty etc

so to cut a long story short they gave it back to me , i have to pay €15 for the priviledge and they gave me a picture supposed to be inside my phone showing water damage

but in the bottom right corner it has V3 which i presume could be motorolla v3 ????
    has anybody else been told water damage and have a pic ???

maybe compare and see if its the same picture they send out ???

Why would you go to Sigma in the first place? If I bought a phone and it didn't work when I opened it, I'd be straight back to the shop. Screw repairing it, if it was less than a week old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

The water damage is a bit of a get out clause for phone makers I think.

If it was in the box it could hardly have been water damaged.

If you bought it a week ago, check if the shop you bought it from has a return policy. You might be able to return it hassle free.

Regardless, if it was bought in a shop, you could fight this all the way to the Small Claims court. We need to know where you bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Companies can produce pictures of the water damage on phones & highlight it if needed.
    However if it is a week old & is in fact water damaged then I'd be taking it back to the shop you bought it in.
    It could have been a phone returned by another customer that had damaged it & the shop didn't realise it at the time, gave the other customer a replacement/ refund, sent it back to the supplier & they in turn sent it back to the shop citing warranty is void due to liquid damage & then the shop sold the same phone onto you hoping to get away with it.
    I know it sounds a little bit far fetched but it happens more than people think.
    Have a look around the base of the phone where the charger goes in & try to see if there is a little bit of green around the charger area. If there is then the liquid damage has been there a little longer than a week in order for it to go green.
    Look up a local Nokia service centre in your area if you want to get a second opinion & get an independent report off them before you go back to the shop because at least that way they will know you mean business.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

When it comes to water damage the manufacturers will not accept the phones back and in turn neither will the retailer. The most common "customer damage" done to a phone is water damage. People standing out in the rain while on the phone and so on. I know you say that you didn't even take it out of the box but unfortunatly its your word and there's no proof.

What network is the phone on? where did you buy it? and is it still within 28days? I'll see if I can do something for you.
    easyeason3 wrote: »
    Companies can produce pictures of the water damage on phones & highlight it if needed.
    However if it is a week old & is in fact water damaged then I'd be taking it back to the shop you bought it in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

bought it off ebay

was sealed etc

they have a 7 day return policy ( my fault )

but since there a new phone it is in warranty

my point is , does anybody have a picture they got back shen told water damage ????????? if so can they scan it

i think its the same picture sent out with every phone , if so big scam by said company

my friend has a picture of him supposed phone , same numbers and exact same pic im 100 % sure

Can't help you there. FYI MPRC and Phone Menders would have checked the phone over for free.
    Ya there is a 3 year warranty on N95 so I assume that the N96 has the 3years as well but water voids it straight away.

Personally wouldnt buy phones on ebay, been there, got screwed over and dont really have a leg to stand on. If its cheap its probably to good to be true.

bought it off ebay

was sealed etc

my point is , does anybody have a picture they got back shen told water damage ????????? if so can they scan it

i think its the same picture sent out with every phone , if so big scam by said company

my friend has a picture of him supposed phone , same numbers and exact same pic im 100 % sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

true

now now

but i dont think sigma even looked at it

i think they just send u that pic and say its water damaged and charge you €15 for the pleasure

shower of ****

Mprc give a picture of the phone as well where it's water damaged. The whole conspiracy of repair companies just saying oh water damaged has been going on for years. People believe that they just say that so they don't have to fix it. Not true because, the repair company gets paid by the manufacturer to honour the manucturing repairs. So them telling they cant fix it as its "water damaged" wouldnt make sense as they are losing out of the money!

Goto Mprc in Sandyford or Phone menders in Clondalkin although Mprc is bigger place and would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

bought it off ebay

was sealed etc

Lodge a claim with paypal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

nazoil wrote: »
    Lodge a claim with paypal

+1

Lodge a claim with paypal (or your card company if the funds came from there) and get your money refunded...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kissmiss

bought it off ebay

was sealed etc

Fact 1.
    EVERY NOKIA PHONE HAS 2 YEARS NOT 3 YEARS WARRANTY (AS MOST OF OTHER MANUFACTURERS)
    Fact 2.
    SIGMA, AS OTHER COMPANIES, WOULD NOT SEND THIS SAME PICTURE WITH EVERY PHONE, WHY? BECAUSE, IN THE CASE OF CUSTOMER LIKE YOU, THEY NEED TO HAVE A PROOF IN THE CASE THAT YOU WOULD GO TO SMALL CLAIM COURT
    Fact 3,
    IN EVERY CASE OF WATER DAMAGE OR PHYSICAL DAMAGE, WHERE CUSTOMER SAYS: i DIDN'T EVEN USE THAT PHONE - THEY'RE CHECKING LIFE TIMER AND THEY CAN SHOW WHEN AND FOR HOW LONG DID YOU MAKE PHONECALLS
    Fact 4.
    V3 - it's a part short name on PCB board so that's not a proof of false picture
    Fact 5.
    How I know all of that? I'm working for THEM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

kissmiss wrote: »
    Fact 1.
    EVERY NOKIA PHONE HAS 2 YEARS NOT 3 YEARS WARRANTY (AS MOST OF OTHER MANUFACTURERS)
    Fact 2.
    SIGMA, AS OTHER COMPANIES, WOULD NOT SEND THIS SAME PICTURE WITH EVERY PHONE, WHY? BECAUSE, IN THE CASE OF CUSTOMER LIKE YOU, THEY NEED TO HAVE A PROOF IN THE CASE THAT YOU WOULD GO TO SMALL CLAIM COURT
    Fact 3,
    IN EVERY CASE OF WATER DAMAGE OR PHYSICAL DAMAGE, WHERE CUSTOMER SAYS: i DIDN'T EVEN USE THAT PHONE - THEY'RE CHECKING LIFE TIMER AND THEY CAN SHOW WHEN AND FOR HOW LONG DID YOU MAKE PHONECALLS
    Fact 4.
    V3 - it's a part short name on PCB board so that's not a proof of false picture
    Fact 5.
    How I know all of that? I'm working for THEM

Fact 1: Typing in CAPS LOCK online is considered as shouting.
    Fact 2: Shouting is very rude.

OP I'd follow the advice about paypal. Maybe email the seller first explaining the problem to give them the chance to rectify first. Id imagine if they sold as new they would be held to Irish law on top of any "goodwill warranty".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

ShooterSF wrote: »

OP I'd follow the advice about paypal. Maybe email the seller first explaining the problem to give them the chance to rectify first. Id imagine if they sold as new they would be held to Irish law on top of any "goodwill warranty".

Fact 3: She probably wasn't working for them a year ago when the OP posted.

ShooterSF wrote: »

Sorry to everyone, I didn't want to shout at anybody. And I worked there one year ago and two years ago also and even three.
    To give you advice about the phone:
    Considering time spend on paypal, I would go to MPRC and asked them for repair (they're repairing liquids). I know, you will pay for repair but you'll save your time and stress, and you'll get your phone fixed back.
    Remember, on the other side is not company only people working there, just like you and me, they're doing their best (as we did in Sigma)
    I hope my advice would help you with your issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Fact 3: She probably wasn't working for them a year ago when the OP posted.

Oops :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

this just in todays news
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0115/3g.html

Sigma telecom looks like their packing up

this just in todays news
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0115/3g.html

Sigma telecom looks like their packing up
    :-(
    Yes, we are under liquidation. Hole company, Sigma Telecom and Sigma Fonefix - we found out about that just on Friday that we are done and gone. Sad. ;-((((

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Fact 4: she probably does not work there any more ..... they have folded, right??

Advertisement