Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of moving to Maynooth

Options
  • 26-03-2009 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi All
    My wife an I are thinking of moving to Maynooth.
    Could anyone tell us is it a good place to live, what the nightlife is like and were would a good area of Maynooth to live in.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

The nightlife is very good but its a very young crowd though. To be honest its a very nice place. Has all your shopping needs. Tesco,supervalu and dunnes. The manor mills shopping centre is small but you have a good mix of stores there. Plenty of resteraunts in the area. I would be more inclined to move to a newer estate as oppossed to the older. Reason being the newer estates will have more young families or young couples instead of the old settled familys as you may get a good few teenagers messing around in the area. Thats my own personal opinion though.

Live in Leixlip myself, would like to live in Maynooth myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

My husband and I moved to Maynooth just over 2 years ago and it's been a great move for us (except for the fact we bought at the height of the market :mad:). I work in the City Centre so I find the train a real benefit - 40 mins, you get a seat in the morning & v reliable!!

I agree with the previous poster - there really is everything you need in the town & we only really leave Maynooth at the weekends if we're visiting friends/family or going to Liffey Valley.

I'd be careful as to which estate you choose to live in though as some can be largely made up of students - you'll probably know by the estate as soon as you drive in as they're generally quite shabby. We must have chosen well as our estate is very quiet.

Overall I'm really happy here & have no intention of moving (nothing to do with the negative equity I promise! :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Just avoid the pubs on a thursday, i think thats student night! weekends tend to be cleared of students, they go home to the parents for a proper dinner and for their weekly clothes wash :rolleyes:
    Just the local students would be around. But, really you do have most things at your disposal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Define older estates. I'm in Silkenvale - plenty of kids around which is good seeing as I've two 5 year olds. The newer estates like Griffin Rath and Straffan Wood are cheap and nasty houses. The older estates are better built. There's students in every estate but overall Maynooth is a good place to live. We've had students living next door on occasion and never had a problem with them.
    As for nightlife - there's no real nightclubs (unless you count the Glenroyal :eek:) but Brady's is good fun late and other pubs are open late with different things on sometimes.
    There's a good selection of restaurants - Indian/Chinese/Italian/European - some excellent,some good, some cheap 'n' nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dublinrich

Moved into Newtown Hall Estate last September (from Dublin) and we love it. Myanooth really does have everything, shops, restaurants, great pubs (and great Guinness) and friendly locals. Personally I like the fact that there are students around as they bring a great mix to the town. Haven't experienced Maynooth in the summer time yet, expect it becomes extremely quiet. The only bad thing I have to say is that the traffic can get very bad in town due to the slow traffic lights but apart from that I would highly recommend Maynooth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lionel1

thanks for the advice
    regards:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Newtown Hall

Hi, I'm in Newtown Hall almost 18 months now, originally from Dublin. Have to say I love living here. I work in the city centre and I'm door to door in an hour with the train (including a 20 minute walk, don't believe Eamon's 10 minute stroll it doesn't exist!). My parents are only a thirty minute drive away in Dun Laoghaire (same commute to work believe it or not!). Much better value for money out here, and everything is still on your doorstep. The quality of the houses are very good in this estate - not that I'm experienced but I haven't had any 'major' issues and anything else the builders have been quick to rectify. It's a very quiet estate as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

All going well,we will be living out there soon too:)
    We will be really near the train station and hopefully in a nice student free area:)
    I am looking forward to getting settled out there and getting involved in some local stuff.
    Any exciting suggestions welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maynooth is great, what with Tescos and Dunnes. O'Neills is a nice pub, as is Brady's. I tend to avoid the Roost as it's a bt of a hole :P

The Mill off-license (nearby Dunnes) does delivery of alcohol to your door step, which is very handy. There's a Rebel & Mizzonis pizza that both deliver, as well as Maximums (who also delivers)...

If you're near the back of Greenfield, there's a small group of shops and a pub there.

The only thing that sucks about Maynooth is that the nightlink doesn't go that far, so you'll usually end up getting a nightlink from Leixlip.

Ask questions, and I'll answer if I can.

One word of warning: if you have friends over Saturday night, don't let them get the last bus back to Dublin: it never comes. The f**kers often go back by the motorway :mad: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

the_syco wrote: »
    The only thing that sucks about Maynooth is that the nightlink doesn't go that far, so you'll usually end up getting a nightlink from Leixlip.

The Nitelink does go as far as Maynooth!:confused:

• Advertisement

Yep - it does. But only 3 of them. The 67N is the Maynooth vomit comet and it goes at 00:30, 02:00 and 03:30.

the_syco wrote: »
    Maynooth is great, what with Tescos and Dunnes. O'Neills is a nice pub, as is Brady's. I tend to avoid the Roost as it's a bt of a hole :P

The Mill off-license (nearby Dunnes) does delivery of alcohol to your door step, which is very handy. There's a Rebel & Mizzonis pizza that both deliver, as well as Maximums (who also delivers)...

I agree about the pubs. O'Neills does good food too but pricey. Caulfields piano bar is grand for a quiet pint too.

As for food deliveries there are also 2 chinese restaurants that deliver and an Indian. But when we order Indian (fairly regularly) we get it from Delhi Darbar in Celbridge - much nicer food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Macros42 wrote: »
    Yep - it does. But only 3 of them. The 67N is the Maynooth vomit comet and it goes at 00:30, 02:00 and 03:30.

The times for the 67n have changed, they now leave at 00:00, 02:00 and 04:00, not that most people are in any fit state to pay any attention to silly things like bus times after a night out in town!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

The Syco is so wrong on many levels, even the name stinks of being inbred, the nitelink does go to Maynooth, the Roost is a great pub, and not a dive at all..... but then again i see you're from Leixlip, so that explains your ignorance... and why the hell are you in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sam Hain wrote: »
    and why the hell are you in this thread?
    I posted information, you posted insults. Go back to where ever you came from. Be that Monaghan or wherever.

As for the nightlink, I'll pass the info onto Dave. It'll save the eejit having to walk home from Leixlip all the time.

The Roost is still a dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Maynooth's great, I'd recommend Castledawson estate. Lived there in final year of college and the houses are nice and the area is quiet. Far enough from town to have no trouble and near enough to walk to pub and back or to the train station. Near Spar and Newtown Inn which has an off-license and the Spar has an Apache pizza in it I think (don't know if it still does).

Couple of places on Daft at the moment in the area.

I like Maynooth, I'm still living here since college anyway so the place can't get rid of me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Apache is gone.

Interested in local stuff, check out the GAA club. Cater's for all sorts, underage won the football and camogie Feile, Minor footballers looking to win the league and championship this year, adults looking to return to senior level. Lady footballers were in the all-ireland semi last year (junior I think). The mens 3rd team is craic if that's what you're after!

The local rugby team is North Kildare, a close knit club, but one who welcomes everyone. Check out the back the Liffey Champion this week for an article on one of our own in New Zealand.

Been living here on and off since 82, it has changed a great deal since then, and I'm sure I'm missing plenty of activities etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 torres777

does any one think maynooth needs a proper offlicense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Please don't drag up 3 year old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement