Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve

Options
  • 26-03-2009 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve

Those were the words of George Bernard Shaw in the early 1900’s, but I believe they are more relevant today than any time since Shaw spoke them. We are currently in a recession that has the potential to bankrupt a state and a nation that was Governed for the past 12 years by Fianna Fail led Governments. These Governments were formed during a time when tax breaks were designed to fuel the building boom and when despite all the Budget surpluses the Health system was maintained at a level that can only be compared to 3rd world standards. Bank regulation was done with a wink, a nod and a slap on the back, banks were making 100’s of millions a year and those in charge were been paid millions in bonuses.

Did anyone care? Did anyone ask where the Government money was been spent? Did people look at the performance of Government and the value they were getting for tax payers money? No they looked at their bank balance and new car in the driveway and thought “this is a great country, how could you vote for anyone else” or in similar numbers “ah I don’t know anything about politics, why would I vote”.

Now those very people have seen the scandals of our Banking system and seen this economy go down the drain along with their investments in property and shares and sadly many have seen their pay check greatly reduced or have had to join the Dole queue. This middle class group are now reading every piece of news that shows how much money those at the top of our Society have been earning and have been angrily demanding that the government sort this out and in a fair way that means those at the top pay the most.

Many of these very same people have voted Fianna Fail into Government for the past 12 years and supported their policies that fuelled a boom and many more aren’t even registered to Vote or have never made it to a polling station. Yet they now demand action and are willing to walk the streets to show their anger at the Government, but this a democracy and as Shaw said these people are been governed no better than they deserve!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

absolutely true-(except the third world hospital bit.thats ridiculous.yeah our system is a mess but to say that is going too far.the standards of care in a hospital in mogadishu or baghdad is not in the same universe as a hospital in cork or galway)out of say 50 of the friends I went to college with I would say maybe 5 ever bothered to vote in any election.these are educated young people.they,d say things "like politics is sooo boooring" or "it doesnt matter who you vote for their all the same".well apathy has consequences.now everyones blaming fianna fail.fianna fail are a bunch of gombeen men no vision chancers.they always have been and they always will.its their nature-frog and the scorpion stuff.its the irish peoples fault for always electing them simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

A very fair comment..................................but darn all help to us at present as we've picked our governers and picked from a very limited pool of potential governers. Democracy wasted?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

jonsnow wrote: »
    absolutely true-(except the third world hospital bit.thats ridiculous.yeah our system is a mess but to say that is going too far.the standards of care in a hospital in mogadishu or baghdad is not in the same universe as a hospital in cork or galway)out of say 50 of the friends I went to college with I would say maybe 5 ever bothered to vote in any election.these are educated young people.they,d say things "like politics is sooo boooring" or "it doesnt matter who you vote for their all the same".well apathy has consequences.now everyones blaming fianna fail.fianna fail are a bunch of gombeen men no vision chancers.they always have been and they always will.its their nature-frog and the scorpion stuff.its the irish peoples fault for always electing them simple as.
    Well my opinion of the health system is based of on my personal expierence, which sadly have been very harsh on my family and I think the fact that I expierenced the failings of our health system just as the boom started led me to have a very active interest in Politics, MRSA has ruined so many lives in this country and yet the Government has made very very few advances in cleaning up our hospitals during the past 12 years, the budget surplus of one year would have gone a huge way towards fighting this deadly bug yet the Government didn't address it.

Like you, many of my friends who are well educated had no interest in politics or saw that them having money meant the Government were doing a good job, now unemployed or affected by the public sector cuts they vent huge anger at the government, I tell them that they missed their chance at the ballot box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Good post OP, but I dont like that quote tbh, while relevent in this particular situation, Democracy is the best of all options, we cant go bashing it just because we failed to vote someone decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I agree with Wylo. Yes, democracy has some bad points, but the pure fact that it leaves things more in our control is what makes democracy the best possible form of government.

What would you prefer? 1984?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,403 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If you live in the UK at the moment there is more then a hint of it at the moment. Surveillance culture , bogus wars and a fear culture being propegated by their gov.
    Clearly the answer is less gov.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I agree with Wylo. Yes, democracy has some bad points, but the pure fact that it leaves things more in our control is what makes democracy the best possible form of government.

I don't have any problems with Democracy at all, I have a problem with the way many people ignore it duirng the good times and then when they fall on hard times expect to be able to use it to resolve their situation.

My main point is that you get what you vote for, or if you don't vote you get what others vote for and for the past 12 years the majority of people have supported FF and many have not engaged with Democracy at all but now that things have turned for the worse they want to march on the streets and demand changes, they had their chance.

Advertisement