Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone still offer 100% mortgages?

Options
  • 26-03-2009 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

I know AIB does but do any other banks/building societies offer 100% mortgages?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

thankfully, I don't think any are now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

why do you say thankfully?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

ntlbell wrote: »
    thankfully, I don't think any are now

why are you thankful for that?

why do you say thankfully?

Have you been out of the country for a long time?

OP read this. link

• Advertisement

Have you been out of the country for a long time?

so 100% mortgages caused the crisis?

so 100% mortgages caused the crisis?

It hand a very big hand to play yes.

It hand a very big hand to play yes.

thats just not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Does anyone offer mortgages anymore ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

doubt if aib still do 100% mortages

• Advertisement

thats just not true

How so?

lucky-colm wrote: »
    doubt if aib still do 100% mortages

They do for professionals whose salary is likely to increase to 60k or so in the next 3-5years, which hopefully includes me although I'm not qualified yet.

How so?

lets not get into a long boring pointless drawn out argument and agree to disagree :)

They do for professionals whose salary is likely to increase to 60k or so in the next 3-5years, which hopefully includes me although I'm not qualified yet.

sounds unfair to me, why should someone earning big bucks get a 100% mortgage when they can clearly afford the deposit.

because they would be lower risk than people earning less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

CamperMan wrote: »
    sounds unfair to me, why should someone earning big bucks get a 100% mortgage when they can clearly afford the deposit.
    Banks have a very narrow definition of 'professional'. They'd happily give money to people in this category such as newly qualified doctors and other people who fall into their definition of career professions who have a very good chance of being good for the money.

because they would be lower risk than people earning less

is that so??, architects are losing jobs, solicitors that deal with the property side of things are struggling, there are many professional jobs that are no longer safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Bearing in mind the continuing fall in house prices, as soon as a 100% mortgage is offered, it is worth more than 100%. Putting aside the mess the banks are in at the moment and their reluctance to lend anybody anything, handing out loans that are a high proportion of the house value is just lunacy currently.

CamperMan wrote: »
    is that so??, architects are losing jobs, solicitors that deal with the property side of things are struggling, there are many professional jobs that are no longer safe!

I know but professionals are no more likely to be losing their jobs than non professionals, in which case the higher earner will be viewed more favourably

greendom wrote: »
    Bearing in mind the continuing fall in house prices, as soon as a 100% mortgage is offered, it is worth more than 100%. Putting aside the mess the banks are in at the moment and their reluctance to lend anybody anything, handing out loans that are a high proportion of the house value is just lunacy currently.

but negative equity isn't going to affect your ability to make repayments, so it doesn't make any difference to banks if you have a 100% mortgage or a 92% mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Plastic Bari

I think 95% Would be a good and fair target! Has anybody seen 95% around ? Everywhere i seem to look its always 92% !!!

but negative equity isn't going to affect your ability to make repayments, so it doesn't make any difference to banks if you have a 100% mortgage or a 92% mortgage

Well it does to the bank if you default. And in the current climate, it's a bad idea both for the lender and borrower to have such a high loan percentage.

I agree that if you don't intend to move and you have no problem in making the repayments, then negative equity doesn't matter at all. There's no guarantee that this situation will continue for the length of the mortgage though is there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

i stand corrected :mad:

greendom wrote: »
    Well it does to the bank if you default. And in the current climate, it's a bad idea both for the lender and borrower to have such a high loan percentage.

I agree that if you don't intend to move and you have no problem in making the repayments, then negative equity doesn't matter at all. There's no guarantee that this situation will continue for the length of the mortgage though is there ?

Why does loan percentage matter to a bank? Surely its simply a matter of assessing if you can make the monthly repayments.

If you default, then in the current climate both parties are screwed either way. If the bank repossesses they will be left with a house in negative equity which they won't be able to sell because of policies they have introduced to make it harder to get mortgages. So giving 92% mortgages or 100% mortgages doesn't make a damn bit of difference to them.

I think 95% Would be a good and fair target! Has anybody seen 95% around ? Everywhere i seem to look its always 92% !!!

no not according to this website:

http://www.mortgages.ie/index.cfm/spKey/customers.mortgage_rates.lender_facilities?CatId=1

although UB offers 95% mortgages to professionals

Why does loan percentage matter to a bank? Surely its simply a matter of assessing if you can make the monthly repayments.

If you default, then in the current climate both parties are screwed either way. If the bank repossesses they will be left with a house in negative equity which they won't be able to sell because of policies they have introduced to make it harder to get mortgages. So giving 92% mortgages or 100% mortgages doesn't make a damn bit of difference to them.

In the current climate I agree with you - and for that reason even 92% is too high - loans should be no more than 70% of the current house value- this gives the borrower more leway if he is struggling and gives the lender more hope of retrieving some of the loan if there is a default

but that will just ensure prices keep crashing and remain in negative equity for a long time, which again increases risk for them

but that will just ensure prices keep crashing and remain in negative equity for a long time, which again increases risk for them

But then that just goes to prove that house prices are still far too high and still have a long way to drop.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

For preceisely the reason you mentioned. The banks don't want to be left with a house worth less then the outstanding loan. The want a house that they can sell quick to cover what's left of the loan. It's not about your payments, it about what happens if you miss your payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

95% would be good for banks if they thought that house prices were going to go down less than 5%. But they know that it's going to be more - therefore, anyone taking out a 95% mortgage, if forced to sell, will not be able to pay back the bank.

P.

Advertisement