Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert points problem

Options
  • 26-03-2009 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey all,

I was wondering in the case of a repeat filling in the CAO. I have filled in that I also did a leaving cert in 2008 and filled in my exam number for it.

After I do it this year and say for instance I dont get as much points as last year. Will my old points be automatically selected or would I have to send my results directly to college admissions?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

No, points have nothing to do with the university, you will not have to send results to the college. If you don't get as many points as last year then the CAO will count your results from 2008 for the matriculation.

But you cant "mix and match". You cant pick 3 results from 2009 and 3 results from 2008 for the points, it has to be from one sitting.

So to answer your question, yes your results from 2008 will automatically be counted if they are better than 2009's results and No, you wont have to inform the college.

EDIT: Verify this with your guidance counsellor, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Your best points total from any one year of sitting the LC is what counts. If that happens to be last year it will be counted automatically. The requirements you need for the course (an honour in a language/science/english irish maths etc) can come from a combination of subjects from as many sittings as you want except for medicine where all points and all subject requirements must come from one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sourcream

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

If you wanted to be clever you could sit the Leaving Cert after 5th year sitting only pass English/Irish/Maths and getting three D3's, then do six other subjects to get your points next year. (Wish I had thought of this!)

Advertisement