Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek International Posters

Options
  • 26-03-2009 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭

at last some proper Star Trek posters. :cool:
    they're kind of like the ones from the Kirk movies.:cool:
    I like the chick playing Uhura but the posters need more McCoy.:(
    The Big Three element is still being honoured I hope.:confused:

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/int-l-star-trek-posters-6452

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

They're a step in the right direction but still, all they've done is taken the solo poster pictures, amshed them together and thrown in some artwork to gloss it up. Admittedly it's awesome to see the Enterprise racing across the third poster but I don't like Kirk's odd stare!:pac:

They could get the bloke who did all the classic posters---Indy, Star Wars etc... to do a clasy poster up. He did it for Indy 4, and that was also a Paramount product. C'mon guys, it'll add a bit of prestige methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Very reminiscent of the older ST movie posters, which is nice.

Big similarity between poster 2 and Wrath of Khan artwork.

When did Uhura get so important? More McCoy I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Nice, gives star trek a young fresh image. Though the spanish one is odd, it looks too reminiscent of Independence Day. The Italian poster is the best imo, its redolent of The Beatles' Hard Days Night Poster. Having Uhura on the poster isn't that surprising, attractive chicks bring in many demographics and look more inviting (not in solely in that sense). I see it a lot advertisements for many things. I'd like it if they had painted some of them, like the old movie posters, that would have been very retro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I like the abstract concept but it looks like someone went crazy with the photoshop tools in 5 mins!

• Advertisement

have you guys seen the fan made poster thats a variation on the ST:TMP one.
    I have it but can't upload it.

JJ Abrams obsesses over The Magic Box Technique: selling potential new viewers the mystery rather than the fact. It's the Enterprise but it looks different and it grabs your attention: mission accomplished.

Nay-sayers have missed the point. It's not designed to appeal to Trekkers/ies/whatever (I'm one of them). They're mostly sold on the idea of a reboot or even if not, will probably go see it anyway. (I'm sold). It's designed to intrigue cynics and interest new demographics. It's the final poster for cinemas but I'd bet my dilithium crystals it's not going to be the DVD cover or anything.

As a Trekker I love the way it's warping straight towards you in simple monotone splendour. It's retro in its zanyness yet contemporary in its design and futuristic in its concept. JJ is a legend and this film will rule.

hi klingon hamlet,

I wasn't criticizing the poster. I like it.

but do I get your point. they are basically advertising Star Trek without advertising that it is Star Trek to entice more people from the 'outside'.
    where as the international campaign will be more open because we are not as dumb as the yanks.

your comment about it being 'retro' got me thinking. the teaser posters for STII-IV all featured the Enterprise on its own too.

still concerned over McCoy's absence though.

hi klingon hamlet,

I wasn't criticizing the poster. I like it.

but do I get your point. they are basically advertising Star Trek without advertising that it is Star Trek to entice more people from the 'outside'.
    where as the international campaign will be more open because we are not as dumb as the yanks.

your comment about it being 'retro' got me thinking. the teaser posters for STII-IV all featured the Enterprise on its own too.

still concerned over McCoy's absence though.

Just re-read my post there, my oh my I come across cranky. Wasn't shooting you down Spon. Sorry if it seemed that way.

I always find it weird when people question the efectiveness of marketing, criticise it and put posts up all about how weird/bad it is (again, not you) without realising it's that very controversy, debate, brouhaha that is the main goal of the marketing in the first place.

Yeah poor McCoy. Something tells me he'll be almost a sage, background character and Uhura will be brought more to the fore. Thinking back on the movies, I always felt McCoy deserved more screen time. He never really got enough opportunity to show his individual character; spent most of it firing barbed quips at Spock or being the voice of cynical reason to Kirk. Here's hoping he gets to shine and isn't just a wall to bounce Kirk and Spock off of (who strangely come to blows in this one---weird and different dynamic to this one).

fear not, I felt no crankiness at all.

I'm hoping Uhura is only sell the movie to men.

if she takes McCoy's place in the Big Three, there will be war and JJ and I will be done professionally.:mad:

Urban better own this movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'm hoping Uhura is only sell the movie to men.
    She's the only woman and the only black person in the main cast, which would explain her being on the posters. I do hope her role in the film itself isn't equally over-inflated just for those reasons though.

I really like the newest silver / abstract poster. The rest are far too generic.

Advertisement