Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for a night out?

Options
  • 26-03-2009 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭

Just wondering where people like to go out most in town?

I have to say I like Purty Kitchen.
    Getting a bit sick of it now though!

Messer's is a good laugh too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Sin E is probably the only place I've never had a bad night out. Always a good buzz, good music, good pints. Never waiting too long for a pint. It gets a bit crowded, but I can handle that. It gets crowded for a reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Eamonn Dorans or Coppers :)

Just kidding Messrs is usually good craic so is Turks Head on occasions. Sometimes Pravda is good.
    Dublin is not a great going out city when you think about it guys in our job actually made a list of places not to go and its quite long.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

+1 for Sin e. Top notch tunes and atmosphere.

Zatman wrote: »
    guys in our job actually made a list of places not to go and its quite long.
    I've thought about it and I'm left wondering what credentials these guys you work with have.
    There's a boozer/club for every taste on the 4 day weekend in this city. Sure, sure, sure it's drinks top heavy for enjoyment...but there's one for every taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Is Sin E that Irish-speaking bar?
    Heard you get discounts if you order as gaelige! :D

Might check it out sometime!

Doyle's is good for a laugh sometimes too!

• Advertisement

Might check it out sometime!

Doyle's is good for a laugh sometimes too!

Nooooo...don't think so. I've neber heard it spoken (thank god...I'm not anti geilge I just don't have any. But I've heard of a bar that does this but don't know which one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the old bachelor inn, its re-opened but havent been in. anyone know if its still the same (smelly toilets, ripped upolstery, dirty floor, etc..)?. if it is then i have my old haunt back

the old bachelor inn, its re-opened but havent been in. anyone know if its still the same (smelly toilets, ripped upolstery, dirty floor, etc..)?. if it is then i have my old haunt back
    A bit of spit and polish but hasn't lost any charm and coming in at 4.10 a pint it's got customers back too. Which it hadn't before it shut up shop.

Shelbourne Bar is a smart place. Expensive but when even Nearys are charging 5 flipping quid then for a bit of posh and a good laugh it is a good pub. I'm old though...boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lloyderz

Coppers and Howl at the Moon seems pretty popular these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Zatman wrote: »
    Eamonn Dorans

I'm a fan of Dorans I must say, but pints are a rip-off, whats it like €5.25 for a pint or something.:eek:

What sort of crowd would Sin É get? What's the music like aswell? Might give it a go one night over the Easter hols.

It's a good bit older than Doran's Gav. Music's a good mix of funk and europlinkplonk. My kinda music!!

Feck me is Doran's that dear? I was supposed to go there tomorrow night. Think I'll stay the Camden St area.
    On that note Anseo is smelly but good and Solas is clean and ok too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I've heard good things about Whelan's...

What do you make of the place?!

humberklog wrote: »
    It's a good bit older than Doran's Gav. Music's a good mix of funk and europlinkplonk. My kinda music!!

Feck me is Doran's that dear? I was supposed to go there tomorrow night. Think I'll stay the Camden St area.
    On that note Anseo is smelly but good and Solas is clean and ok too.

I'll stick with Bernard Shaws (great oul spot on the weekend) with the occassional pop into Doran's.

Can't really the exact price for a pint in Doran's but it's over a fiver anywho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I wandered into the dice bar one night and I found the music and drink there really good. Glad I found it.
    O' donoghues is pretty sweet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I was in The Hairy Lemon last Thursday - was in the evening but I'm pretty sure it was before 11. Two pints of Heineken €11.40 - ouch. I won't be going back there anytime soon.

Sin E is definately not an Irish speaking bar (name notwitstanding)

Hairy Lemon is 5 balloons for Guinness in the daytime. Murder.

I'll go the Dice Bar too but jebus people we're giving all the good boozers away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

humberklog wrote: »
    A bit of spit and polish but hasn't lost any charm and coming in at 4.10 a pint it's got customers back too. Which it hadn't before it shut up shop.

excellent, thanks for the info. ill be there tomorrow. my seat at the end of the bar had better still be there:)

Nope, 100% not Irish speaking - There is another spot for that, but you're going to have to order as gaelige, it's not a matter of doing it for discount.
    What sort of crowd would Sin É get? What's the music like aswell? Might give it a go one night over the Easter hols.

Sin E get's a mixed crowd, I guess the nearest you could call it is 'continental' - You'll find people from all over the world in there, but generally not tourists. Plenty of Irish folk in there too. Always a friendly crowd.

Music changes from night to night, some nights it's old school rock, other nights funk, jazz, pretty much everything and anything.

It also does 3 Euro Guinness on Sunday and Monday, all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

It depends on what you are looking for

There's a place in Temple bar that is €3 all night for all drinks(excluding champagne bellini's) it's on Fishambles st... A few boardsies are regular these days... It's ok, cheap drinks and sometimes good craic... More like a stopover(get drunk and head somewhere else)

• Advertisement

Karma I take it?

I've always found the staff inside there to be absolutely horrible. Most of my groups of friends would never step inside the door there again, which says something about a pub doing €3 everything!
    (get drunk and head somewhere else)
    Getting drunk AND head somewhere else? Sounds fantastic :pac:

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Karma I take it?

I've always found the staff inside there to be absolutely horrible. Most of my groups of friends would never step inside the door there again, which says something about a pub doing €3 everything!

Getting drunk AND head somewhere else? Sounds fantastic :pac:
    Oh really, we had no problem the other night when we there... All 5 of us boardsies :D

I wouldn't spend the night there... I think they let underage people there(upstairs), so wouldn't be my cuppa but sure head there early and then leg it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fibbers - cheap rock bar - late opening
    Bruxelles - expensive rock bar, usually the older patrons from Fibbers - late opening
    Prava - chill out place
    Dorans - expensive dive
    Dandelion - 90's music, young crowd, disco type place - late opening
    Redz/21's/whatever the f**k it's called now - sh|thole - late opening

FIBBERS-BIGGEST ****HOLE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Doran's is a barn and the only pub I've been in that will turn around and tell you that the only thing they have on tap is Bud or Guinness, what a ****ing hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

I've always had a good night in these places:
    • Howl At The Moon
    • D Two
    • Busker's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

21s on a Monsay night. €1 in and €3 drinks AFAIK. Never too crowded and a good night if you're not too picky on your music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

used to do all the student nights when i was in college.21s/redz/tripod(redbox back in the day-LOVED that place).you grow out of it though! was part of the furniture in coppers, still go but not as much, its always been busy but lately its just got ridiculous.

now pubs wise i like:
    kehoes
    donaghues
    baggot inn
    sublounge
    sheehans
    whelans

clubs:
    village
    tripod/pod/crawdaddy
    twisted pepper.
    .......coppers when there isnt a queue as far as the garda station!

21s on a Monsay night. €1 in and €3 drinks AFAIK. Never too crowded and a good night if you're not too picky on your music.

€1 in if you have a concession, otherwise it's a fiver.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Sin E is probably the only place I've never had a bad night out. Always a good buzz, good music, good pints. Never waiting too long for a pint. It gets a bit crowded, but I can handle that. It gets crowded for a reason :)

plus one to all of this, I like Sin E a lot.
    They're doing something right to be doing that well so far away from the rest of the late bars.

Advertisement