Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bury CC9060 Car Kit

• 26-03-2009 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used this car kit before? I've been waiting for ages to get a kit and Im thinking of biting the bullet and getting this one installed.

thb_cc9060.jpg

It says it reads the texts out to you but Im wondering can this feature be switched off? It'd drive me bonkers.. texts can wait until I'm out of the car.

Also, is it easy to detach because a screen like that would surely attract scummers who look for shiney things to rob from cars?

I think I'll bring one in from somewhere in the UK and get it installed locally then.

Is it a good kit?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Used and installed on 3 cars. Can be a little annoying when it doesn't understand you but that's no biggy. The text message thing doesn't work on a lot of phones (check the compatibility list on the website) so I am not familiar with how it works. Easily removable, just clips off and clips back on.

Can get them from eBay cheap enough, can link you if you like. Expensive to install in Waterford but got all ours done at a discounted rate in Duggan Motors Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Not to sure about that particular carkit but Bury are very good for carkits. They do the cradles for the newer nokias which charge them at the same time. Probably other makes do the equivelant but I know this make quite well.
    Have to agree with you on the text though, very annoying, I'd say it would sound alot like the Nokia E and N series the way they read out the message and miss pronounce half of the words. Have you googled the carkit to find out whether you can turn off the feature or possibly read feedback on it?
    I'm sure you should be able to turn that feature off though.

Personally I have the Parrot carkit and its really good, in terms of use and sound quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I have an E51 and it looks like its compatible according to the data sheets on the Bury site.

I can't find anywhere on the net whether the text reader can be switched off. If I could confirm I could disable that feature, I'd buy one.

I've had a read of this CC 9060 Manual

and it says: Received text messages are shown on the display and read aloud to you. Up to 100 text messages can be stored. Both messages from the SIM card as well as from the telephone are read aloud.

There is a read message voice command though so I suspect that it only reads the message out if you tell it to. I'd assume thats the case anyway. It'd make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Cover your own ass, ask them 1st if it can be turned off, if they say yes and it doesnt than you can get refund based on miss sold. But you are right to think that if it says "command" that it shouldnt read it unless u make it!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

One of the phones we use is an E51 and it doesnt work for texts. Probably a firmware issue as from my understanding the bluetooth stack in Nokias are more up to date then what the car kit is built for.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    One of the phones we use is an E51 and it doesnt work for texts. Probably a firmware issue as from my understanding the bluetooth stack in Nokias are more up to date then what the car kit is built for.

Ah sugar on it so.. I'll bring my phone in tomorrow and see can the local chap show me that it does or doesn't work.

Weird considering the compatibility sheet says it should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

I Have that handsfree kit it will only read texts if you ask it to. the screen does remove easily and as for installation its a simple iso interface between the radio and kit I installed mine in a rav 4 in under 10 mins and it was fully functional after I installed it. very easy to update firmware via laptop uses bluetooth

Excellent. Just gotta make sure it'll work right with my E51 now. Thanks!

Trotter wrote: »
    Ah sugar on it so.. I'll bring my phone in tomorrow and see can the local chap show me that it does or doesn't work.

Weird considering the compatibility sheet says it should be ok.

We had the discussion about this and I said id speak with Nokia and Burry as he was unsure. Burry were not very helpful but Nokia explained it was the version of bluetooth stacks being different. Ill double check the E51 tomorrow, maybe I didn't test it properly (its a phone I rarely use).
    paconnors wrote: »
    very easy to update firmware via laptop uses bluetooth

Many updates? Anything decent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Many updates? Anything decent?

more handset support and more screen colours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=101733&cat=all

not sure if its a saving on the price but said id tell ya anyway, dont worry my finders fee is on 5% hehe g'luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Woods

Have one almost a year, reading text messages doesn't work with my n95, and voice dialing can be bit annoying; but saying all that it's a good piece of kit and i'd recommend using it :)

Mr Woods wrote: »
    Have one almost a year, reading text messages doesn't work with my n95, and voice dialing can be bit annoying; but saying all that it's a good piece of kit and i'd recommend using it :)

Can you still read the text messages yourself from the screen? (When you pull in of course :p )

TBH i don't know :( ; when 'messages' is selected from the menu, the words 'no messages' are displayed on screen. Hopefully someone who has used the feature successfully can help

Mr Woods wrote: »
    TBH i don't know :( ; when 'messages' is selected from the menu, the words 'no messages' are displayed on screen. Hopefully someone who has used the feature successfully can help

That means your phone is not completable with the kit.

Do you think that future updates of the firmware on the Bury kit (they seem pretty regular) might solve that problem?

Do you think that future updates of the firmware on the Bury kit (they seem pretty regular) might solve that problem?

Possibly. From speaking with Nokia, they say so. Burry didn't seem to care when I contacted them and ignored my question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

What price did you negotiate for the install Sully. About to get the same guy to install this for me and I like to haggle

Waynecarr wrote: »
    What price did you negotiate for the install Sully. About to get the same guy to install this for me and I like to haggle

Was getting three installed (different cars) so the negotiated rate probably wouldnt apply to someone getting it fitted in the one car.

Good guy though.

Well I got a very good deal on one today and decided to get it installed regardless of the problem with texts.

The text function isnt working with my E51 as expected. I've updated the phone and the kit to the latest firmware and its still not working.

Has anyone managed to get an E51 working with this kit and how did you manage it?

Also, Im still getting to grips with the phone book. I'd love to be able to turn the muppets voice off when he's telling me who's calling me.

I deleted all my contacts from the sim card because it was duplicating the contacts on the Bury screen.

Its strange that say when 'Dad' rings, it says Dad GENERAL.. I don't get that at all.

• Advertisement

The "Dad General" is because the number is in Dad -> General. That is, your phonebook entry can be "Home, Mobile, Office, General" etc. You can have several numbers for a contact and I assume the Bury (I cant recall) calls out what number you are calling for the contact. I didn't think it did this myself.

The "X is calling" thingy.. Well, I think that's the point of the kit. Might be able to fiddle with the settings and see if it can be disabled (you can get it to stop saying "Do you wish to accept or reject?" I think).

I think an email to Bury about the E51 needs to be sent, seems a bit like false advertising. Nobody ever sticks with the same firmware, phones get updated all the time and should work. I tried with the E71 but it was like talking to a wall.

I think an email to Bury about the E51 needs to be sent, seems a bit like false advertising. Nobody ever sticks with the same firmware, phones get updated all the time and should work. I tried with the E71 but it was like talking to a wall.

I sent an email to Bury yesterday. I know our local Bury seller is well aware of the problem and is looking to get it sorted too. I agreed to help him where I can!

I sent an email to Bury yesterday. I know our local Bury seller is well aware of the problem and is looking to get it sorted too. I agreed to help him where I can!

Aye I promised him id look into it. Ill get onto that now, Nokia should have rang me back ages ago.

EDIT: Closed at 9. Will email.

No reply from Bury at all. I used the form on their website so I wonder if I'd been better off emailing direct.

Latest is the kit is working fine, but no text message support. It still says "general" after every name now which is a minor annoyance but I'll get over that :p Not having the ability to see the texts on the screen is frustrating.

Nokia emailed me friday apologising for delay and id get a call "soon". Still waiting :P

When I get the response from Nokia ill speak to Burry again. Maybe this time someone will actually be helpful

Well Bury got back to me today and gave me the following instructions:
    Please delete the Bluetooth connection in the CC9060 and in the Nokia E51. Then install the applet, turn off the mobile off, take the battery out, turn on the mobile phone, start at first the applet, press once the "ok" button, press the symbian key (home key) to leave the applet.
    Now search for Bluetooth devices and make a new connection to the cc9060.

I tried this exactly but got nowhere with it. Maybe Sully or someone else might give it a go to see if I cocked up.

Here's my reply to Bury
    I followed your instructions exactly and unfortunately I'm still
    having the same problem.

When the CC9060 is switched on and paired with the E51, pressing the
    message button gives the info "Messages not downloaded".
    After a few minutes, it gives info "No messages".. even though there
    are over 100 messages in my phone's memory.

What applet?

Seems a very "I havent a clue" answer from Burry. It reminds of me the IT support "My PC doesnt work" and the IT guy who has no idea suggest restarting the PC.

If ya look at Bury's latest compatibility chart, there's 2 *'s after the E51 messaging functionality. They send you to the last page where it says it works with a 3rd Ed applet and they give you a link to download it. You install it via PC Suite and its supposed to work if you leave it running. I tried it and had the little blue dot beside it on the phone that indicates a running application but I still had no joy. Give it a lash Sully and see does it work for you.

Care to give me the link? :P

• Advertisement

That means your phone is not completable with the kit.

Not according to this :

http://www.bury.com/upload/products/cc9060/compatibility/Compatibility_list_CC_9060_V174_en.pdf

Advertisement