Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragons Den - March 26th 2009

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

the show is about 5 years too late or 2 years too early depending on your perspective. i think Sean is the biggest bluffer but to be fair most of the ideas that appear are fairly poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

RTE have actually done a decent job with the production of Dragon's Den. The sets all look good, etc. The big problem is the dragons themselves. They are a pale shadow of the UK dragons. Where the UK dragons all have distinct personalities like Peter Jones, Theo Paphitis and Duncan Bannatyne, etc. It is difficult to tell one of the Irish dragons apart from the other. Their stock line seems to be "this would have been a great idea 10 years ago but I'm out".

Plus the Irish dragons have a terrible predilection for bad puns. Some guy comes in trying to get them to invest in anoraks for example...

"I'm sorry but I'm going to have to take a rain cheque on this one. I'm out"

"You must think I came down in the last shower to invest in your anoraks. I'm out".

Sean Gallagher is just about the only dragon worth keeping. Even though he's fond of the bad puns himself. At least he seems to understand the concept of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ruben1

they should have invested in the mullingar woman safe clean pass thingy

i dont like that essex woman, and i dont think she has any money thats why she turns everyone down
    If one of those dragons ever have to go to dragon hospital they will be checking under the bed for dust, hoping that cleanpass trained the cleaners!!

Great Idea! Needs to be taken up. Too many people getting MRSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

jayo27 wrote: »
    Is Sarah the woman linked to a national hurling star?????

Well its not likely to be any of the others, is it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Kat Slater

Poor episode last night. I've enjoyed the show so far and last weeks episode was good, but it's getting a little tiresome.

Gavin Duffy and Sean Gallagher are the only 2 entertaining dragons. Bobby Kerr is a bit dull, Niall O Farrell likewise although he seems like a sound guy, Sarah Newman never invests in anything.

The quality of entrepreneur is not good at all, like people have mentioned the show is getting too predictable - One investment per show and it's normally either the first one on or the last one on, last night it was obvious they were going to invest in the last guy since they hadn't invested in anyone else.

I would like to see the show run for a second series though, mainly because it would have had more exposure from this year and hence there might be a bigger pool of entrepreneurs to draw from. It's still a hell of a lot better than most of RTE's output (Brides of Franc?!?!?!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

well i think it was a sin to let that girl from mullingar go out without an investment , they deliberatly made little of her ,and her investment is sound very little overheads ,
    she is basically a teacher and the overheads is her knowledge and i would say in 2-3 years time when the hse makes it compulsary to have her pass to get a job the dragons wil kick themselves
    any disagreements should just compare it to a safepass card you cannot get a job on any form of a site with out that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

She did herself out of the investment. She only has herself to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Well its not likely to be any of the others, is it.
    Not unless DJ is sliotaring with the other side of the hurl.

The only dragon worth keeping is Gavin Duffy, maybe Sean Gallagher if he stops trying for puns. Sarah has no place there. She got lucky with a website and doesnt have the same experience the guys have. She is the token female to pacify the equal rights crowd. I get the impression that she thinks herself aloof, on the Den to "look at the mad ideas that the stupid Paddy's have". though jaysus when yer man came on the show with the Leprechaun hair the other week.......:o

Niall is a bit dull, doesnt really have the personality for it. And the fact that it took me five minutes to think of Bobby's name shows you what entertainment he brought me during the episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Ive only looked at one episode just to see what it was like but felt bad for the bloke who invented the Fax Cop, great product ( we could do with one in here!!) but because he wouldn’t tell them how it worked while the camera's were running, ( cos they had no 'cop':o on ) they walked away and tried to make him look ignorant !!

Bunch of donkeys !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I had to laugh at the ones who would not reveal their rates. Gavin gave them hell for it and as he said he makes no secret of what he charges for his services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

iguy wrote: »
    Dragons den was a big big mistake,i read in a newspaper(cant remember what newspaper it was) that rte bosses did not get the viewers that they had hoped for,i for one think its on to late at night plus i dont think its a great programme either,i thought when it was being advertised before it came to air that it would be a better programme..but it turned out to be no good...the apprentice on tv3 is way better.....does anyone have the viewer figures for the programme at all,it did'nt say so in the newspaper.....

Doing great. Ratings dropped since the early shows. Currently getting 400,000 viewers for the Thursday 22.10 show (30% plus audience share). Well up on the slot average and double what Podge and Rodge are currently getting on RTE2 in the same time slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I have seen many of the very same criticisms leveled at RTE's version of this show on this thread also being leveled at the BBC version in the past... e.g.

- Predictability - the last person on the show always gets the investment
    - Duncan Banatyne is the Sarah Newman - i.e. rarely ever invests - "I'm out!"
    - Theo whatshisface is also very fond of his puns, and repeatedly uses the line "my children's inheritance"
    - The Aussie guy on the BBC one reminds me of RTE's Sean Gallagher, and even sits in the same seat! Both of them generally seem keen to invest and are generally sympathetic to potential candidates
    - The voice over guy on the BBC one also gets similar criticism as our "onntropernooors" man, although I think the RTE man isn't as prone to stating the obvious as the BBC guy.

So, all in all, RTE have copied the format, line for line, and I think they've done a reasonable job of it so far. I do agree though that it's badly scheduled, late on a Thursday night which can't be doing it's ratings much good.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

It's only waste of time.........
    I'm out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

That Sarah one is definitely a watse of time on the show. Last night she offered the braclet women the money but wanted in return 51% of the company, knowing full well she was going to turn down the offer. Remember Rachel Elnaugh from BBC's Dragon's Den, who went the whole of season 2 without a single investment. She never returned for season 3 and it later emerged she totally skint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

none of them have great amounts they are willing to lose.. especially her. i bet she invested a load of her jammy website money in property and it's taken a hammering... Or at least I hope it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i thought that the oil guard alarm thing was fine, it did have significant difference, so what if they had their valuation wrong, they always ignore them when they talk percentages anyway.

it fitted yermans business perfectly

they need someone with manfuacturing, wholesale and retail business

anybody got one of his smarthome installs? psot or pre house buidling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Have seen a few episodes of this. Irish dragons are a bit dull, compared to their UK counterparts. I think Gavin Duffy is a bit too harsh - I saw him on the Irish version of The Apprentice earlier this year (the interviews episode) and the questions he asked the candidates were ridiculous!
    Sarah Newman is alright - she's a bit sour but at least she has some bit of charisma. The others are as dull as ditchwater.

As for the contestants, I thought the Chordelia was mad! It would be ok for children maybe but I don't think anyone seriously interested in music would consider buying one.
    The R&D guy seemed pretty genuine - hopefully he'll have some success with his investment.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much the Irish dragons are worth? I looked up the English dragons on Wikipedia and they're worth a fair few bob, to put it lightly!

Duncan Bannatyne - £310,000,000
    Peter Jones - £250,000,000
    Deborah Meaden - £240,000,000
    Theo Paphitis - £135,000,000
    James Caan - A paltry £70,000,000 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭suzi-suz

i love dragons den..and the last episode had me a bit confused..

there was a guy on from a car website (wont mention the name) and apparently its ranked pretty high..so i asked myself the question why is he on dragons den...if it was for publicity well i wouldnt want to be in his shoes after what he was told...1 of the dragons told him he wouldnt buy a used car from of his site let alone buy shares in it!!

he was very cocky and full of himself probably had the idea that he was going to enter the den and they would fall over themselves to give him the money but it would seem he drew a blank.

Advertisement