Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You have to admire the scandinavians!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

what a wonderful environment to have a young baby!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

That's not exactly what came to my mind when I saw it. I was impressed with her work ethics and how tranquil both appear to be. I also appreciate how the Scandinavians approach the work-family balance. It is very common to hear kids in the background when you are having a business call with a Scandinavian and they think nothing of it, while here it is considered unprofessional, as if only people without a family can be taken seriously.

By the way, the baby seems to be happy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Can you imagine her Irish or British equivalent turning up at Leinster house or House of Commons with a baby ? The Brits might hmm and haww a bit .

The Irish would be :eek::eek::eek::eek: how dare she ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

She look tired. Bad angle maybe.

Fair play to her. Its good to see such a relaxed approch. I dont think it would go down well here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Shes a ****ing MEP, why the **** would that be a good idea in Parliment!!! Stick it in a creche if she really wants to keep going to work!!!

****ing discrace and another prime example of women wanting to have there cake and eat it. Would a man be allowed to bring his dog to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Varkov wrote: »
    Shes a ****ing MEP, why the **** would that be a good idea in Parliment!!! Stick it in a creche if she really wants to keep going to work!!!

****ing discrace and another prime example of women wanting to have there cake and eat it. Would a man be allowed to bring his dog to work?

Oooh you're going to get awful 'not the same thing' comments for that.

You are messing, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

You don't have children, by the sounds of it :rolleyes: Why are you referring to the baby as "it"?

Baby is happy, Mother is happy, I don't see the problem with it. If it was considered unprofessional there then she wouldn't have brought the baby with her. Like a PP, I too like the relaxed approach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I've been in the parliment and found it a very noisy place, so feel bad for the little one if it was a full house session. Otherwise think it's refreshing to see family and work life being melded, a Danish friend is allowed to go her work's creche and breastfeed whenever she wants, and can spend her lunch there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

What a disgraceful comment. Any moderator here?:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

A disgraceful comment with mis spellings. Worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Anyone else curious as to what exactly is she wearing?

(Not a fashion comment, more of a wtf moment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Please report posts which you feel breach the charter of this forum.
    You may do so by clicking on the report post icon report.gif in the post.

That Danish MP has to go to work and bring home the Bacon any which way she can .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I guess you have to be a parent to see this as anything other than ridiculous.

Not in Scandinavia it isin't , no they do things differently up that way ..

I would rather say that if you are an Irish non-parent you are more likely to find it ridiculous than if you come from a more child friendly country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I am a parent and frankly I see this as ridiculous. Not a work home life balance at all.

In my opinion there is no way her mind is totally on looking after either important part here.

She is trying to work while her baby lies on a table... I would be amazed if she could give either her work or her baby the concentration either needs.

Ok for the sake of clarity she wasn't working at her desk she was in the parliamentary chamber to vote. A process which doesn't take that long at all, she is still meant to be on maternity leave
    and had been working from her home office but came in to cast her vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

And the result of the vote was as follows:

For: 317
    Against: 82
    Cootchy cootchy coo: 1

Seriously though, it's inappropriate, she is being paid good money to do a job, including turning up for voting, and you can't devote 100% effort to your job if you are watching a baby. You can't do both properly at the same time. The Scandinavians have a very extensive system of creches and child support in place that makes that sort of showmanship unnecessary. I'd say she was just political point scoring.

My 2c

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »
    Seriously though, it's inappropriate, she is being paid good money to do a job, including turning up for voting, and you can't devote 100% effort to your job if you are watching a baby.
    Since we are working on assumptions, I would say that she must have discussed the issues being voted earlier with her constituents prior to the voting session. She was there to vote. How exactly does the presence of the baby affect her ability to do that? The baby is very relaxed and not causing any trouble in any of the pictures I've seen.
    The Scandinavians have a very extensive system of creches and child support in place that makes that sort of showmanship unnecessary. I'd say she was just political point scoring.
    They are in Brussels, far from home and from th scandinavian creches. As pointed out above, she is probably entitled to be in maternity leave, so how about giving her the credit for getting out of her way to do her job in spite of having the child with her?

Zynks wrote: »
    she is probably entitled to be in maternity leave,
    She is, why she isn't taking it is a very interesting question. Any ideas?

Because she takes voting on the matter serious enough to be there representing the
    interests of those who voted her into office.

And that is more important than taking the maternity leave that was hard won for all women?
    She's undermining every working woman by going back to work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Ok for the sake of clarity she wasn't working at her desk she was in the parliamentary chamber to vote. A process which doesn't take that long at all, she is still meant to be on maternity leave
    and had been working from her home office but came in to cast her vote.

Ok this changes the situation quite a lot. I was all ready to post saying that something like this is unbecoming of an MEP, but if she was literally stopping in for ten minutes to go "aye" then it's not so bad.

But that said, I still think it's a little ridiculous. MEP's aren't exactly on minimum wage she could easily afford a professional minder. And if she absolutely couldn't leave the child for an hour then surely, considering that she's on maternity leave, they could arrange for someone to represent her at the vote?

Zillah wrote: »
    Ok this changes the situation quite a lot. I was all ready to post saying that something like this is unbecoming of an MEP, but if she was literally stopping in for ten minutes to go "aye" then it's not so bad.

But that said, I still think it's a little ridiculous. MEP's aren't exactly on minimum wage she could easily afford a professional minder. And if she absolutely couldn't leave the child for an hour then surely, considering that she's on maternity leave, they could arrange for someone to represent her at the vote?
    The vote was in Brussles, we're talking flights, transfers etc with a baby under her oxter.

And that is more important than taking the maternity leave that was hard won for all women?
    She's undermining every working woman by going back to work like that.

Sorry Hagar, but she is enforcing an even more important right: Choice

Fair comment, as far as it goes but women were for a long time pressured into returning to work far sooner than they should have. Often the women were afraid to speak against the employer and claimed that it was their own choice to return to work.

Zillah wrote: »
    In this picture you will see the MEP beside the baby has her hand in what seems to be a finger print reader. It seems only the elected person can vote.
    20090326elpepusoc_13.jpg

I really don't get it. It is HER job, HER child, HER decision. Both mother and child look happy enough, and people are still criticising.

Look how the Spaniards have a better approach. This is a Google translation on the article where the pictures come from:
    The difficult balance between work life and personal life begins to thrive, at least in political circles. The Danish MEP Hanne Dahl has managed to combine her work in the European Parliament in Strasbourg with her role as mother and attended the voting session on Thursday with her baby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Because she takes voting on the matter serious enough to be there representing the
    interests of those who voted her into office.

If she took it that serious and it really only takes a short time as mentioned earlier in the thread then ask someone to mind the child for the time. Minding a child during an important decision would mean your mind couldn't have your mind fully on the care of the child or the vote. Not to mention distracting other workers.

Im a parent and all for child friendly work places but i think this is a bit much!!!

Advertisement