Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas For a Job

Options
  • 26-03-2009 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any ideas for places to apply for a job? Im an experience-less cheap 17 year old and can do boring things important people dont want to.

Yeah I know recession blah blah blah but I'm not looking for career-y work just one year of something pointless. I would have applied to shops and anything retail-y but apparently thats been taking a hit. I was thinking banks and offices and the like. Any ideas anyone??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

op same situation as you.

are there any places that you can just works on the docks or something? manual work or somethin? i like work like this, i'd be well happy to even work for less than minimum wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Not trying to be harsh but WTF????

Yes by all means look for a job but seriously, do you think you're going to get one????

Go on a course & do something for yourself & don't be bothering people who actually have the skills & qualifications to get a job.

here..did anyone ask for your crappy input? no!!!

Welll when I saw ''any ideas anyone?'' I assumed it meant anyone.
    So sorry for upsetting you by my reply. You obviously must be devasted. Please contact this therapist on 1800 you are a dickhead, he should help you through the times.

hahaha i bet you lost your job. what a loser. dont cry now ;)

• Advertisement

acontadino wrote: »
    hahaha i bet you lost your job. what a loser. dont cry now ;)

Right this has fone way to far.
    Yes I have lost my job & funny enough I have a mortgage & car to pay for so are you or your whinging OP going to pay for it? NO I THOUGHT NOT!!!!
    So by all means sit there & laugh but having a fcuking child post a comment on this wondering about a job???
    Not trying to be rude to the OP but what exactly do they need to pay for at 17 years of age???
    I'm curious.
    Stand in my shoes for a week & tell me a loser. By all means try & stretch money to make ends meet.
    If & when you have done that, ask yourself WHERE HAS MY TAX MONEY GONE?????
    On the likes of you!!!!!!!

times are tough, maby you should have thought twice about that car, or been a bit more careful when buying a house(its not as if the downturn wasn't predicted :rolleyes:)

maby you should stop feeling sorry for yourself, you obviously lost your job because someone is better at that job from you, or the job wasnt particulary skilled and needs cheaper labour.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Keep it on topic from here. It's a good idea for a thread and it's getting pulled sideways.

OP you could try calling the Irish Wheelchair Ass. or the Cheshire Homes and get the foot in the door for relief work by doing a bit voluntarily.

times are tough, maby you should have thought twice about that car, or been a bit more careful when buying a house(its not as if the downturn wasn't predicted :rolleyes:)

maby you should stop feeling sorry for yourself, you obviously lost your job because someone is better at that job from you, or the job wasnt particulary skilled and needs cheaper labour.

I am not justifying buying my car or house to you so don't get me started.
    I am not feeling sorry for myself & no there was no one better than me to do the job but the company had to make cutbacks & unfortunately I, & some friends of mine, were part of it.
    Basically you & the OP are not skilled or have any experience anywhere from the postings made so best of luck if either of you can find a 'job'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Hmm... Emm... Okay? Sorry if I offended you easyeason3 but in fairness the work I'm looking for is hardly going to be the same as what you would be. I understand how you might feel but I don't think getting angry at young people looking for work stocking shelves or filing letters is very fair.

And as regards what I need to pay for? Nothing really, that's why I don't want anything serious or high in wage. But someday I might want a house and car like you, is that ok?
    so are you or your whinging OP going to pay for it? NO I THOUGHT NOT!!!!

I don't quite understand the point your trying to make tbh.
    Basically you & the OP are not skilled or have any experience anywhere from the postings made so best of luck if either of you can find a 'job'.

And how are people supposed to get any experience if the running of the entire universe is to be left up to you and your fellow "Experienced people" who were lucky enough to be working during an economic boom.

• Advertisement

Hmm... Emm... Okay? Sorry if I offended you easyeason3 but in fairness the work I'm looking for is hardly going to be the same as what you would be. I understand how you might feel but I don't think getting angry at young people looking for work stocking shelves or filing letters is very fair.

And as regards what I need to pay for? Nothing really, that's why I don't want anything serious or high in wage. But someday I might want a house and car like you, is that ok?

I don't quite understand the point your trying to make tbh.

And how are people supposed to get any experience if the running of the entire universe is to be left up to you and your fellow "Experienced people" who were lucky enough to be working during an economic boom.

The point I'm trying to make is that you have said you are an unexperienced 17 year old looking for work.
    At the moment, whether you know it or not, there are many people looking for work with courses & experience under their belt that you don't don't have at 17 years of age.
    I am experienced & trained & I have excellent references but I can't even get a job in Supermacs because I deemed 'over qualified'.
    So I am trying to advise you to continue your education because there is not that much out there at the moment.
    Do whatever you want but at the end of the day there are people applying for jobs that have a lot more qualifications & experience than you.
    So instead of setting your mind to getting a job, why not apply for an online course & if something somes up in the meantime go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Give JD Sports on Henry St a try. It's possibly the worst retail job you'll get but it's a job. Worked there during the summer, and it was alright, but I didn't have much choice as I needed some money.

They literally only hire people under 19 I'd say, even the supervisors were young, one as young as 17.

It's minimum wage stuff, with time and a third on a Sunday.

I am experienced & trained & I have excellent references but I can't even get a job in Supermacs because I deemed 'over qualified'.

That's exactly what I mean, that's the work IM looking for, the work that qualified people dont want/ shouldn't have to do. If Supermacs arnt employing the redundant solicitors etc. then who's going to do those jobs :S

And as regards doing a course or something, that is what I'm going to do if I can't get a job to fill in the space between now and university. Looking really isnt doing much harm and I'd rather be working making money than going to Colaiste Dhulaige or something.

That's exactly what I mean, that's the work IM looking for, the work that qualified people dont want/ shouldn't have to do. If Supermacs arnt employing the redundant solicitors etc. then who's going to do those jobs :S

And as regards doing a course or something, that is what I'm going to do if I can't get a job to fill in the space between now and university. Looking really isnt doing much harm and I'd rather be working making money than going to Colaiste Dhulaige or something.

Do me a favour & don't ever think that qualified people SHOULD'NT do these jobs. At the end of the day all anyone wants is a decent days pay for a decent days work & if that doesn't take into consideration how the person is experineced then tough.
    Don't pigeon hole yourself into this line of work. Not that there is anything wrong with it but think long term, do you want to be frying chips in 20 years time?
    At the moment it might be a short term solution for you but you probably have a lot more intelligence than cooking a few chips & fliping a few burgers.
    You're 17! Don't sell yourself short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Go hand some CV's out to places. You're not going to get a job posting about it on the internet.

Don't pigeon hole yourself into this line of work. Not that there is anything wrong with it but think long term, do you want to be frying chips in 20 years time?

I only want work for 1 year :S Then I'm going to Trinity to study Computer Science :S

Yeah I'm going to print off loads of CVs it's just everyones been saying I wont get a job in retail or in general that's the reason I was asking did anyone have any ideas...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ass wrote: »
    Go hand some CV's out to places. You're not going to get a job posting about it on the internet.

I don't think he'd get very far handing out c.v's at 22.49.
    He's a young lad wondering where would be a good place to hand out said c.v.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

humberklog wrote: »
    I don't think he'd get very far handing out c.v's at 22.49.
    He's a young lad wondering where would be a good place to hand out said c.v.
    McDonnalds is open 24 hours a day. OP, go now, before someone gets the job before you.

I only want work for 1 year :S Then I'm going to Trinity to study Computer Science :S

Yeah I'm going to print off loads of CVs it's just everyones been saying I wont get a job in retail or in general that's the reason I was asking did anyone have any ideas...

Well it's not that you won't get a job it's just that it won't be as easy as previous years that's all. Well look best of luck in whatever you do :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Forgive me for sticking my oar in here, but the OP is looking for advice.

17 years old with no experience means retail, fast food, etc to start with.

So to the OP, drop your CV into your local shops, petrol stations, chippers, pubs etc. and good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

My god the recession has turned us all into evil back stabbers!!!!!!! The OP is just looking for advice,we are all in the same position and everyone who is willing and trying to work is entitled to the same amount of sympathy and understanding.

I think this is a really good thread, or it could be if it wasnt a whinge fest!!

Saying that im actually crap for ideas,been wracking my brains myself for stuff to do just to earn that extra bit of cash to make ends meet.

Manual work is good if ya can do it! but doesnt necessarily mean has to be working for someone else.
    • Borrow set of ladders see if anyone in area wants their windows done?
    • Or when weather gets a bit better cut grass.
    • Paint houses? Basically spread word that willling to do handyman work. And before anyone says no one will pay for this anymore thats not tru,there are ppl out there who are physically not able to do these jobs and are always looking for someone to help out.
    • If ya have a car check the local chippers and chinese see if they looking for drivers. Usually cash in hand:D

For girls (those who not interested in being handywoman;))
    • Avon mags,Kleeneze are handy dont take up much time.
    • There also the Virgin and Ann Summers parties. Bit of craic and might get few ppl who interested in buying!!
    • Childminding for those who are lucky enough to still have jobs they'll need the kids minded, esp in the summer months with no school

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Right this has fone way to far.
    Yes I have lost my job & funny enough I have a mortgage & car to pay for so are you or your whinging OP going to pay for it? NO I THOUGHT NOT!!!!
    So by all means sit there & laugh but having a fcuking child post a comment on this wondering about a job???
    Not trying to be rude to the OP but what exactly do they need to pay for at 17 years of age???
    I'm curious.
    Stand in my shoes for a week & tell me a loser. By all means try & stretch money to make ends meet.
    If & when you have done that, ask yourself WHERE HAS MY TAX MONEY GONE?????
    On the likes of you!!!!!!!

Dear oh dear, tiny bit bitter are we?
    The op is looking for work ideas, exactly so that he wont have to sponge off poor old you, the only person in the world ever to get a kick in the teeth on the work front.

I did my leaving cert at 17 and was looking for work at that age, so I dont know where you're coming from - I had to pay my way in the world, and I had things I wanted to get, same as any other young person, so I think the OP is entitled to want to work, contribute to society, and earn a few bob. Its not doing you any harm.
    I've been laid off a couple of times in the past, when mortgage interest rates were in the mid to high teens, inflation rates were not far behind, and unemployment rates were up to 50% in some parts of this country.
    so try not to begrudge someone else looking for work - remember this recession too will pass.

OP, at your age you really are looking at low paid retail or general labouring jobs. Just be persistent when looking - dropping in CVs is not the way - drop them in and then follow up by calling back in in person on a regular basis. Personally I suspect that 95% of CVs are dumped straight in a bin, so those personal calls are important.

If you dont get anything for a while, do try the volunteering route as suggested earlier, it will help you show some initiative and desire to graft. Dont go full time at it though or you wont be able to keep up your doorstopping activities at paying establishments!

Good luck and dont give up hope. (Or get mad at someone else if you're having a hard time of it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

Maybe you should consider becoming an Economist acontadino, arrogance in retrospect is a good start - so you should be fine :rolleyes:

My advice OP, get your CV up to scratch and keep sending it out everywhere until they send the Guards after you. Good to get out and deliver them yourself, talk to people, see what they are looking for in your area - whether it be retail/office/whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

OP try the new IKEA at the back of Ballymun. It'd be just down the road from you in Santry.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Dont listent to what people are telling abuot retail

go out and hand your CV in everywhere possible

also check out this website www.nixer.ie

they have loads of bar work and pronotional work advertised - care assistants, porters etc.

its the same for everyone at the moment, its just a case of pounding the pavements

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I'd advise you forget about the CV's OP and go solo. Cut grass, clean windows or cars ,trim hedges, clean gutters. If you put the time and effort in you'll earn a lot more than minimum wage even if you charge less than the going rate, a fiver instead of a tenner for a grass cut etc. In these depressed times there is a lot of good will out there for people who are willing to give it a go, especially if their not charging rip off prices.
    Stay clear of the car window cleaning at traffic lights though, that market is sown up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Get a train down to cork, rob a spar and get the train back to dublin, sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Varkov wrote: »
    Get a train down to cork, rob a spar and get the train back to dublin, sorted.

Better yet, get the bus and save yourself a few bob.

The OP was just looking for advice easyeason3, there was no need to be so harsh when he's only starting off.

OP just blanket everywhere you can with a CV and be prepared for a lot of rejection but as it's your first job go low and apply to chippers/fastfood/local supermarkets etc and hopefully you'll get lucky.

Best of luck :)

Thanks everyone, ive a good idea of all the places to drop cvs into now :D:D thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement