Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Masters Degree(MEngSc) in Sustainable Energy?

Options
  • 27-03-2009 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences in doing the postgrad course in UCC on Masters Degree(MEngSc) in Sustainable Energy?

What the lecturers/lectures are like? general opinions?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences in doing the postgrad course in UCC on Masters Degree(MEngSc) in Sustainable Energy?

What the lecturers/lectures are like? general opinions?
    Applied for the part-time version of this in 2006 and pulled out due the intensive daytime schedule. Looks like a good course and the Brian O'Gallachoir has a pretty good reputation.

One of the lads in work did this and said it was good course but fairly packed in terms of workload. Heard they were starting to look into doing this part time (during the night and by distance learning?)

A guy I know is currently lecturing in some of the subjects and he is one switched on dude -with a lot of practical experience. So reckon the lecturers must be fairly good.

There is other MSc in Energy Management, check www.qualifax.ie , SligoIT and DIT and maybe DKIT, all by full-time/part-time learning

My 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭quigo

I'm also considering doing a MSc in this field. I found that UU do a distance learning course that has a similar course set up to the DIT MSc.

http://prospectus.ulster.ac.uk/course/?id=6738

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭No, you're a...

thanks for the info, checked out the other courses and think i'll apply for DKIT one aswell.

Don't think the UU one is for me, it's a 3 years distance learning course, i'm looking for a full time course

thanks though

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Does anybody know the requirements for this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

I'm on the Msc in Renewables in Loughborough, UK, part-time (Link). The DKIT course is based on this one also as they licenced the notes from them when they started up. I've a friend finishing the DKIT MSc course also and seem to like it.

From looking at the UCC course outline it is really just another MSc in renewable energy rather then sustainable energy. If you look at the outline of one of the best courses in sustainable energy in the world, if not the best, the MSc in Sustainable energy engineering at KTH in Sweden (Link) you can see just how good a true sustainable energy course can be. I'd have went for a course in sustainable energy over renewables given the choice as it would be more comprehensive but there are none locally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

pauln wrote: »
    If you look at the outline of one of the best courses in sustainable energy in the world, if not the best, the MSc in Sustainable energy engineering at KTH in Sweden (Link) you can see just how good a true sustainable energy course can be.

That one from KTH looks very good. Balls anyway 1 year into a MSc, where was this info 12 months ago *shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

I know ya, looks the business alright.

Just to annoy you a bit more:

European masters in Renewable energy: http://master.eurec.be/ , has a few semesters in different Uni's around EU including Loughborough in UK.

European joint masters in Management and engineering of environment and energy: http://www.mastereurope-me3.org/spip.php?article2, similar idea to other masters, a few semesters in different Uni's and the KTH is one of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Nukem wrote: »
    Applied for the part-time version of this in 2006 and pulled out due the intensive daytime schedule. Looks like a good course and the Brian O'Gallachoir has a pretty good reputation.

One of the lads in work did this and said it was good course but fairly packed in terms of workload. Heard they were starting to look into doing this part time (during the night and by distance learning?)

A guy I know is currently lecturing in some of the subjects and he is one switched on dude -with a lot of practical experience. So reckon the lecturers must be fairly good.

There is other MSc in Energy Management, check www.qualifax.ie , SligoIT and DIT and maybe DKIT, all by full-time/part-time learning

My 2 cents

2 yrs for the Master of Science in Renewable Energy Systems IN DUNDALK

PHFFFTTTT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kkman40

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has done the sustainable energy masters course in UCC recently.
    Did you enjoy it? was it a good course?
    This masters does not seem to be accredited by Engineers Ireland which concerns me if I ever want to become a chartered engineer

Advertisement