Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TramCo Rathmines: does anyone know what the deal is?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

DeVore wrote: »
    I walked past it yesterday. It sure doesnt look like the same Tramco of old... it looks like its "under new management". I hated the old Tramp&Co... wouldnt have been caught dead in it but this new place looks more like the Porterhouse.

Meh.. I dunno, ymmv.

DeV.

Yeah it's supposed to be a Porterhouse style set up with Irish brews and stuff
    http://www.irishcraftbrewer.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2829

Not many places like that around, and if you like beer then it sounds good :)
    I might call down tonight to scope it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I'll give it about a month before the lads living up in the Brugha start going there again and wrecking the place :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

New tramco made me feel like a culchie. Nice beers though, from their own brewery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

regi wrote: »
    New tramco made me feel like a culchie. Nice beers though, from their own brewery.

You weren't there tonight were you ? I called in with a mate. Wasn't too impressed tbh.

I was meeting a friend there but being as paranoid as I am I waited outside, across the road and down the street for him because I reckoned I'd get refused walking up on my own. I assume the bouncers are there to keep the usual riff raff that populated the "old" Tramco.

It's a tourist bar with some oIrish schtick and some kinda knaff western saloon theme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's pretty shocking for a place that brews it's wn beers to still charge the same price for a pint as places that have to pay for a brewery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

that dearg beer is pretty good i must admit..
    nice and creamy - give it a go like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Is it still closed ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Always is any time I'm past.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Always is any time I'm past.

Same here. During the "Boom" it seemed to be open every night I passed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

Strange ways here we come on Wednesday's in the list socierty is the best thing mid week. It's like Free in until 11 I think not sure anymore.

Like 3 different floors of Music. It's so good

Strange ways here we come on Wednesday's in the list socierty is the best thing mid week. It's like Free in until 11 I think not sure anymore.

Like 3 different floors of Music. It's so good

Where is the list socierty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Jumboman wrote: »

Where is the list socierty ?

I think he means lost society. Ive seen people queing to get in there on a wed.

Is tramco open? I thought it was.

liffeylite wrote: »

I think he means lost society. Ive seen people queing to get in there on a wed.

Is tramco open? I thought it was.

I found an article saying it does student nightd on thursday and they give next week as the next event. So i assume it is open.

Just a bit off topic

Its amazing the amount of pubs and clubs which closed down since "boom" ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Just a bit off topic

Its amazing the amount of pubs and clubs which closed down since "boom" ended.

Its not really that amazing, reduced revenues + inflated rents= trouble

mmcn90 wrote: »

Its not really that amazing, reduced revenues + inflated rents= trouble

I think this one is a bit miseading. Yes lots of places have closed. However, most have reopened again as the new owners are able to negotiate reasonable rents. I would say there are more places in the city centre then there was in the boomtime. There are definatley more restaurants than in the centre than there was in 2005 too. Lots of nightclubs open now that werent open then, workmans club, bison, sin, temple bar emporium, gypsy rose, pink, wildes, fibbers on the quays, church etc. There is more choice now than then. Its amazing really but it proves how inflated both the drink and rent prices were back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

I think this one is a bit miseading. Yes lots of places have closed. However, most have reopened again as the new owners are able to negotiate reasonable rents. I would say there are more places in the city centre then there was in the boomtime. There are definatley more restaurants than in the centre than there was in 2005 too. Lots of nightclubs open now that werent open then, workmans club, bison, sin, temple bar emporium, gypsy rose, pink, wildes, fibbers on the quays, church etc. There is more choice now than then. Its amazing really but it proves how inflated both the drink and rent prices were back then!

Can't comment on the rest, but the ones that I highlighted where all open during the boom. I was in them on various nights during that period.

Danye wrote: »

Can't comment on the rest, but the ones that I highlighted where all open during the boom. I was in them on various nights during that period.

Not the temple bar pub. The emporium is a club with lap dancing etc. It isnt old. There is also madonnas 80's club, opened about 2 years. If you think of sites rather than clubs, you get a better picture. I.e how many sites are empty since the boom. Zanaibar would be one. I can think of about 7 in the centre. But i can think of more than that have opened in the last 3 years. The recession hasnt hit dublin anywhere near as hard as remote places. Ok, it isnt as busy as it was in 2005, but the options are actually greater...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Not the temple bar pub. The emporium is a club with lap dancing etc. It isnt old. There is also madonnas 80's club, opened about 2 years. If you think of sites rather than clubs, you get a better picture. I.e how many sites are empty since the boom. Zanaibar would be one. I can think of about 7 in the centre. But i can think of more than that have opened in the last 3 years. The recession hasnt hit dublin anywhere near as hard as remote places. Ok, it isnt as busy as it was in 2005, but the options are actually greater...

The temple bar pub, or the temple bar emporium? The emporium is there well over 2 years.

• Advertisement

I meant the emporium. Yes its been there 2 years but 2010 wasnt boom time. It wasnt there in 2005. My point is how many places there are now compared to 2005. Peak of boom. And when you think of empty sites that were open then, there arent many at all. Plus a lot of new clubs have opened. Another example is that the odeon is reopening next month and the pod is on the verge of being turned into a las vegas style superclub...all in a recession. I dont think this kind of thing would be happening in small town western ireland. There is a difference between the way the recession affects entertainment in a big city which has maintained its tourism, and a standard town.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

fibbers on the quays

That closed a month or two back.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    That closed a month or two back.

Its still open for gigs and selected nights afaik

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Its still open for gigs and selected nights afaik

yes, I heard it has now turned into a nightclub?

Again, speaking of new/newish places. The ormond bar on the same stretch of the quays is another new place. The Merchants Arch across the river is only 2 years old. And a brand new cocktail club just opened in temple Bar 2 weeks ago.

Vintage cocktail club- themed on the 20's. Sounds good!

yes, I heard it has now turned into a nightclub?

Nope, it always had a late licence though (as fibbers). They've just scaled back their opening hours.

Any update on TramCo is it still closed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Any update on TramCo is it still closed ?

Yes, it's still closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I walk past there most days. I actually saw people going in to it the other evening, not customers, possibly owners or workmen. It's definitely closed though.

Their website is still up if they had closed for good you think they would take down the website.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~thebargeinn/Tramco-website/homepage.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

There's been a lot of work done on the premises over the past few weeks. There were painters working on the outside today, so it looks like it will be reopening soon.

Advertisement