Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2009 Aussie GP(and Practice and Quali) Discussion and Spoilers

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I'm sure i could think of more. :rolleyes:

Go on....I'd love to hear a few more!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Go on....I'd love to hear a few more!;)
    Isn't that enough? :eek: I could but i don't want this to turn into the why i hate Hamilton thread check it out if you like i wouldn't recommend it its a load of bollix tbh.
    By the way i think he is a great driver and can pull of some great overtaking moves he just doesn't come across as a likable person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Isn't that enough? :eek: I could but i don't want this to turn into the why i hate Hamilton thread check it out if you like i wouldn't recommend it its a load of bollix tbh.
    By the way i think he is a great driver and can pull of some great overtaking moves he just doesn't come across as a likable person.

No, I was just taking the piss. I was like this with Schumacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

By Evil Monkey:
    he just doesn't come across as a likable person.

Oh, When did you meet him? Or is it just on the Media reports.

If you read the forgeign press, they are almost reverent towards their heroes, it only the Brit Media that loves destroying the heroes.

For the charitable work, visiting children in hospital and donations to groups in the West Indies, he is not all bad.

Maybe you could list the good and bad of each driver and work out a table of the likeable and the detestable. Mind you, they are only drivers, no halos, no claims of saviours of society. Oh, the other thing, they are just humans, with all the faults and foibles of any group of people.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Lol, on what grounds is he a "horrible person"? He always comes a across as a decent enough guy in interviews despite having to tow the corporate line.

Looks like you got your answer :)

For the record its nothing to do with him being English, i was delighted for Button yesterday, he unlike Hamilton is a nice guy.

• Advertisement

Oblomov wrote: »
    By Evil Monkey:
    Oh, When did you meet him? Or is it just on the Media reports.

If you read the forgeign press, they are almost reverent towards their heroes, it only the Brit Media that loves destroying the heroes.

For the charitable work, visiting children in hospital and donations to groups in the West Indies, he is not all bad.
    Did you read my original post? the one above the one you quoted, did those things never happen? Did the media make them up? I am capable of forming my own independent opinion. My opinion on him was formed by his actions on track and what he has said and done on F1 TV coverage(British), mostly Live interviews. He could be an angel outside F1 i don't care, all i care about is how he acts at his job as a F1 driver and my opinion on him are in this context.

This is turning into the why i hate Hamilton thread :(

Consider, the guy is under pressure and to achieve the level of commitment and the drive, or agression, to compete and win at that level is not a true depiction of the guy as a whole.

I am not disputing on what is reported but with all reporting is it within the context of its moment of use. being held up intraffic will elicit a different reaction to being able to have a clear run at a corner, being baulked at that last moment will etc etc.. and its too easy to cite moments of abberation to reinforce and argument but is it correct out of the original context?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

eh....young, rich, handsome, pop star girlfriend, immensely gifted and gets to drive formula 1 cars for a job.....what is there not to hate about him:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Vettel being penalised 10 places for next week. Why is Rubens not hit with a similar punishment when he raced a demolition derby race? I am delighted for him so I'm not looking for him to be penalised...But racing incidents happen. Yes, Vettel was stupid to hit Kubica (and brake so early into the corner) but if anything, the penalty should have been for chancing his arm by dragging around a tyre behind the safety car :D

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Vettel being penalised 10 places for next week. Why is Rubens not hit with a similar punishment when he raced a demolition derby race? I am delighted for him so I'm not looking for him to be penalised...But racing incidents happen. Yes, Vettel was stupid to hit Kubica (and brake so early into the corner) but if anything, the penalty should have been for chancing his arm by dragging around a tyre behind the safety car :D

It wasn't Vettel's fault in my book, Kubica was right alongside him even when he knew Vettel's car was handling terribly. Did he expect Vettel to take the corner perfectly?

Only one of the two incidents was caused by Barrichello, he was shunted from behind at the first corner, so that one wasn't his fault. For the Raikkonnen incident he fairly clearly outbraked himself so only went for the inside to try to avoid Kimi. I can see some justification for him being penalised, though I don't think he should be. Really don't see why Vettel is getting punished :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

I too have to agree about Hamilton. Its not the fact that he is English, its more too do with his arrogance, the fact that ITV never shut up about him and he does not seem like the type of guy who would chat to a normal person as opposed to anyone famous. I liked Damon Hill and I was very happy for Button (and they are both English) yesterday, I do get a good vibe from him. I was not happy for Hamilton, because I dont think he deserved to finish in that position but he did well coming from near the back of the grid to finish in third even though like I said he did not deserve it.

Vettel got punished because he went into the stewards meeting and accepted responsibility for the incident, so they punished him. If he had of said there was nothing he could do he took as tight a line as possible and Kubica turned into him and insisted it was not 100% his fault, i don't think he would have been punished.

Really? What a dumbass.

amacachi wrote: »
    Really? What a dumbass.
    Sorry i should have said thats why i think he was punished i haven't seen anything official or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

pretty sure vettels punishment was for driving two laps with three wheels

Grim. wrote: »
    pretty sure vettels punishment was for driving two laps with three wheels

Well the way I heard it was the 10 place drop was for causing the collision and the time was fined an amount I can't remember right now for telling him to stay out with the wheel ****ed.

If Vettel had walked in or even worse, stayed away, and denied his part in the incident then the punishment would have been greater. The fact he showed remorse and an understanding of his own action, a fairly moderate punishment. It's very difficult to hide something like that with the amount of cameras on the circuit, both the international, the circuits own CCTV, telemetry and Observers at each Marshal's post.

If Vettel had walked in or even worse, stayed away, and denied his part in the incident then the punishment would have been greater. The fact he showed remorse and an understanding of his own action, a fairly moderate punishment. It's very difficult to hide something like that with the amount of cameras on the circuit, both the international, the circuits own CCTV, telemetry and Observers at each Marshal's post.

Do you think the crash was his fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

So Kubica didnt deserve any punishment then? Have a look at a reply over and over. Kubica turned in on Vettel when he should have known there was no room. Vettel was already committed to the corner and Kubica didnt give him an inch. Bad driving from Robert, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

So Kubica didnt deserve any punishment then? Have a look at a reply over and over. Kubica turned in on Vettel when he should have known there was no room. Vettel was already committed to the corner and Kubica didnt give him an inch. Bad driving from Robert, IMO.

+1
    Kubica tried to bully his way through

• Advertisement

I'm not saying he should have denied any involvement but i think he accepted 100% responsibility which is not true. Schumacher's parking incident in Monaco a few years ago he denied it and got the same punishment as Vettel, so their is nothing to loose by not accepting responsibility. Do you think 10 place grid drop is moderate? It effectively puts him out of a podium place next week, i think it was harsh for what was basically a racing incident(assuming it was for the crash), we want drivers to overtake and we want drivers to defend this means that sometimes they will come together. I think if Kubica stayed wide he still would have passed Vettel, Vettel had lost allot of momentum Kubica would have had better drive out of the corner. They both messed up, lesson leaned no points get on with it.

From formula1.com so he was given 10 place penalty for the collision and $50000 fine for driving with damaged car, thats harsh.
    Vettel penalised and fined for Kubica collision

Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel has been handed a 10-place grid penalty for next weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix following an incident in Sunday’s Australian race. Vettel collided with BMW Sauber’s Robert Kubica during the latter stages in Melbourne as the Polish driver attempted to overtake him.

Following a post-race investigation, stewards decided to penalise the young German for 'causing a collision and forcing a driver off the track’. He had been racing in second, behind eventual race victor Jenson Button, with Kubica running a close third.

“We were in second and a strong position, but then, a couple of laps from the end, I had a stupid racing accident with Robert,” explained Vettel. “At the time I turned in I was ahead, but I couldn't keep up speed in the corner and Robert was on a harder tyre, so was much quicker. At the time we collided he was in front, but I had no where to go, I couldn't stop the car, or turn to the right and my tyres were gone.

“Maybe I should have said let him go and bring third back home, but that's life. I tried to defend and, up to the mid-corner, I had reason, but then I had no grip to avoid a collision. I'm sorry to the team and also to Robert, as it didn't just mean the end of my race, but also his.”

Both Vettel's and Kubica's cars sustained substantial front-end damage in the collision. But while the BMW Sauber driver spun off and hit a wall soon after, Vettel continued to drive his stricken RB5 with its left front wheel hanging off as the safety car emerged following the incident.

As a result the stewards have additionally fined him - and Red Bull Racing - US$50,000 for continuing to drive a damaged car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Did anything happen to Rubens for the accident at the start of the race, penalty wise. I only got to see the first few laps and missed all the repeats and highlights, I can't see anything about it.

He got hit from behind by, I think, Kovalainen. It was one of the McLarens anyway.

Advertisement