Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just got let go!!!

Options
  • 27-03-2009 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

But that's not the main point of this thread! At the risk of sounding bitter, I didn't really like the office anyway!

Anyway, I have a few queries:

1. I worked 6 months on the whv and then was sponsored for 1 year. They have now let me go after 6 months of that year. Can I now revert to the 6 months left on my whv or is that cancelled once I am sponsored?

2. Considering they sponsored me for 1 year, what sort of responsibility do my (former) employers have in terms of looking after me? (they are giving me 1 months pay. Seems fair enough to me, but wanna check if I'm entitled to anything more than that?) They basically said 6 months ago that no australian could do my job, and now they are letting me go.

Will check this tomorrow, I'm off the to footy now to get trashed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

The best guys to ask are immigration

I don’t know do we have any immigrations expert here or not.

But I think that getting the information straight from the experts is the way to go.

I know you may be afraid that if you contact them they will come round and deport you but that’s not why they are there.

They are there to help you.

http://www.immi.gov.au/

National Telephone Numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

1) no ... your visa is gone, you cancelled your WHV when you moved to the new one - it's gone sorry

2) I read about the new laws saying about paying for a flight home - this might be only for foreign workers (as in employed outside Oz) and not sure on details
    http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2290180.htm
    talks
    The discussion paper released today calls for employees to pay for their workers flights, any recruitment or migration charges. They also have to foot the bill for medical and education costs for their worker's children

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

There may well be a provision in the sponsorship clause that says that if you can get a similar job in a similar organisation, your sponsorship visa will transfer. I'm thinking this because you've been laid off, you haven't quit. You need to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Yea you have 28 days to find another sponsor. If that fails, it's also not hard to get a 2nd WHV, I'll PM you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

DS wrote: »
    Yea you have 28 days to find another sponsor. If that fails, it's also not hard to get a 2nd WHV, I'll PM you about it.

Can you share this ? Is it slightly dodgy ?

Could be useful for many......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

hussey wrote: »
    1) no ... your visa is gone, you cancelled your WHV when you moved to the new one - it's gone sorry

Thought so...doh!
    hussey wrote: »
    2) I read about the new laws saying about paying for a flight home - this might be only for foreign workers (as in employed outside Oz) and not sure on details
    http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2290180.htm
    talks

I heard this somewhere also, but I think I have to prove that I don't have sufficient fund to pay for it myself...and do have sufficient funds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Tough break hand, however I think that you have 28 days from the day you are given notice by DIAC of the decision to cancel your 457.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Sorry to hear about this one cold hand - I have no advice - just wanted to give you my support!

How would going home make you feel? Would you come over to NZ and do another WHV rather than go home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

re: Watty

I see you are in NZ, is there any jobs in electronic engineering ish roles down there do you know? would move asap...!

re: Watty

I see you are in NZ, is there any jobs in electronic engineering ish roles down there do you know? would move asap...!

Not that I know of I'm afraid. I don't know anyone who works in that area. My friends are all in IT or working for governement departments. Have you checked Seek? I'll keep my ears open anyway!

I do know of some call centre work going if that interets anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

watna wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about this one cold hand - I have no advice - just wanted to give you my support!

How would going home make you feel? Would you come over to NZ and do another WHV rather than go home?

I wouldn't mind going home, but I don't think I'll be able to get a job in my area. I spent almost 2 months travelling through NZ on my way here. I absolutely loved it, but I don't think I'll go back...although I would think of going to Queenstown for the ski season! Have to weigh up my options!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Sorry to hear the bad news OCH, I'm in the exact same boat right now, lost my job a couple of weeks ago and am trying to figure out what to do now, fun times... :(

Hope things work out alright for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭moncai

watna wrote: »
    Not that I know of I'm afraid. I don't know anyone who works in that area. My friends are all in IT or working for governement departments. Have you checked Seek? I'll keep my ears open anyway!

I do know of some call centre work going if that interets anyone.

Hey Watna,
    I'm flying into Auckland at teh start of May on a WHV, and i'd love to start searchin for jobs asap! I was hoping to make it to South Island and get a job somewhere close to the ski slopes for the winter, Any chance that Call Centre job is down there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Tough break hand, however I think that you have 28 days from the day you are given notice by DIAC of the decision to cancel your 457.

How do they give you this notice?

moncai wrote: »
    Hey Watna,
    I'm flying into Auckland at teh start of May on a WHV, and i'd love to start searchin for jobs asap! I was hoping to make it to South Island and get a job somewhere close to the ski slopes for the winter, Any chance that Call Centre job is down there?

Nope, sorry. It's in Wellington and they're hiring in April- don't think they'll be hiring in may.

As a heads up, very very few places will look at you until you're in the country so you might have to wait until you're here. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

For any one who has been let go, stick with it!
    Set yourself a deadline for your search over here, have a back-up plan whether it is home, nz or whatever.
    At least at home you will have no rent and be able to claim the dole(if you haven't been gone more than 2 years!)

I was laid off at the end of Jan, leaned heavily on the credit card to stay, just got an offer today.

Brendan I believe they send you a letter in the mail.

Dear Migrant

We have been ...yadda ... your old visa not valid ...yadda ... please make arrangements ...yadda ...by date yadda ..etc you get the drift.

With love
    DIAC

P.S get out ...now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Do they use the address off you sponsership application or does your old employer give them your current address when the send the letter to the governmnet saying they fired you?

What if you dont get a letter? What if your old empoyers dont notify the government that you no longer work there?

Do they use the address off you sponsership application or does your old employer give them your current address when the send the letter to the governmnet saying they fired you?

What if you dont get a letter? What if your old empoyers dont notify the government that you no longer work there?

I would say your old employer gives them everything, as it would not be worth the implications of trying to pull one over one them.

If they did not have an valid address for you I am sure their would be no delay on the leave date. You could not just run around oz avoiding the notification.:)

i will ask on the expats site and see if anyone has ever gone through the process

Advertisement