Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abused Muslim girl becomes photographer..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

...and? What's so special about it that it gets a news piece?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Woman becomes Photographer.
    Next Woman becomes driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭liamtinney

1. Powerful photos, Every photo tells a story (watch with the sound turned off first)

2. Muslim woman normally don't speakout for themselves against men

3. Brave story with hopefully a happy ending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

BFD. Must be a SND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

...and? What's so special about it that it gets a news piece?

For the photography aspect of it alone it is worth posting here !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

There are some great photos there indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think the depth of it is the project / work she submitted to the bbc. The abused and muslim bit leaves me wondering but I'd need to research the bbc site a little more tbh,

The slide show has some fine work in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Woman becomes Photographer.
    Next Woman becomes driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 grainne.obrien

I think it's a great piece of work. A great insight into a different world.

I like the concept of someone talking you through the images. In the Guggenheim museum in new york I was listening to the photograph as I walked around looking at the images. I thought it was great and made it a better experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I watched Harry Enfield in the 90s all the time. :)

• Advertisement

seriously though, her photos are good. So what ? Lotsa people take good photos. Lotsa women take good photos. I'm sure lotsa Muslim women take good photos.

I fail to see how this is news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Some great shots alright, but I too, fail to see why it should make news headlines.

It is typical BBC to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I think its like a minority focus thing that the BBC do, if she was still in her country of birth she would be looking down the barrel of an AK-47. Some nice shots alright but nothing out of this world..

It is typical BBC too but just some filler for the web?

Her shots while nice are really, nothing special imo.

So, why is it news? I mean, it doesn't even say pro photographer...
    Is it because she's a woman?
    Because she's muslim?

I really do fail to see why its in the news. If that's whats making news these days, then I should be coming along in the headlines pretty soon.

"Ginger athiest from Ireland becomes photographer"...
    "Biggest thing since Rick Astley" :pac:

^

Biggest thing since Rick Astley's hair :D.

My hair is better :pac: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Who is Rick Astley?? :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Photography: nice pics.

Fatima: a story of surviving adversity and using her newfound liberty to raise awareness of what many Muslim women endure (odds are several poor things have been beaten black and blue since you got out of bed this morning).

UK media: Fatima's story, but also the message "Muslim countries=oppressive, West=land of the free". It's grist for the mill in the wider debate going on there around values which is itself one battlefront in the ongoing "war on terror".

The UK government are using the idea of "shared values" as a fair sounding flag of convenience under which they aim to enforce majority values. The devil is in the detail, while one might see that incitement of hatred is a bad thing so publication should be censored, how far will they go, will draconian measures make the UK safer, or result in further deepening perceptions among minorities that they are isolated and oppressed.

It would be ironic if Fatima were stopped in the street for taking photographs, that's what she faces not just because she fits the minority profile but because authorities in the USA have cracked down on street photography, as have those in the UK. We're actually relatively free here, long may it last.

I thought it was quite touching actually, and lovely photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

"Biggest thing since Rick Astley" :pac:

You need to get yourself abused first...I know a few places you could try?

(too far maybe?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How small are you? Could you be a ginger Irish Atheist leprechaun who becomes a photographer after you exchanged your pot of gold for cash?

everyone assumes that this story is 100 percent true and not just propoganda as has been alluded in an earlier reply.

Syco: I'm 5'10~5'11 ish, compared to yourself, not tall by any means, but I'm hardly peter the meter.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

It is said to see politics and religion being brought into this thread, though unavoidable. As a father of two bright, intelligent, and wonderful young ladies, aged 21 and 18, looking at this makes the heart bleed.

Leave out the Western propaganda vs Muslim domination debate, and you see a vulnerable young girl, who has been raped (by her father of all people - my God - it does not bear thinking about), trying to come to terms with this, and discovering the joy of photography at the same time. And sneaking the shots when she can, in a society where women are debased and treated as less equal than men.

I think it is a tremendous achievement on her behalf and I wish her well. Stop and think for a moment if this were a girl who was the victim of, say, clerical abuse in Ireland.

No doubt we'd all be patting her on the back and encouraging her (and rightly so).

But because it is perceived that 'Western propaganda' is behind this, her suffering appears to be less important or painful.

We do not live in a perfect society. But I will take it - ANY DAY - ahead of the medieval torture which the society in which this girl was reared condones.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    It is said to see politics and religion being brought into this thread, though unavoidable. As a father of two bright, intelligent, and wonderful young ladies, aged 21 and 18, looking at this makes the heart bleed.

Leave out the Western propaganda vs Muslim domination debate, and you see a vulnerable young girl, who has been raped (by her father of all people - my God - it does not bear thinking about), trying to come to terms with this, and discovering the joy of photography at the same time. And sneaking the shots when she can, in a society where women are debased and treated as less equal than men.

I think it is a tremendous achievement on her behalf and I wish her well. Stop and think for a moment if this were a girl who was the victim of, say, clerical abuse in Ireland.

No doubt we'd all be patting her on the back and encouraging her (and rightly so).

But because it is perceived that 'Western propaganda' is behind this, her suffering appears to be less important or painful.

We do not live in a perfect society. But I will take it - ANY DAY - ahead of the medieval torture which the society in which this girl was reared condones.

I don't think that you can leave polotics out of this story. Without politics, without the heavy-handed 'West is best' slant of the story, there is no story at all.
    And don't forget, not everything you read on the internet is true. e.g. the news that the Nigerian women who is seeking asylum used forged documents to prove her daughter's death. I'm sure that she had the sympathies of most people up until Friday, but now it looks like a cynical ploy on her part to stay in the country. Regarding the original post, well we just have her side of the story to go on.

This is probably getting off the point somewhat, but I don't think that there is anyway that you can separate the politics from the photography in this situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I don't think that you can leave polotics out of this story. Without politics, without the heavy-handed 'West is best' slant of the story, there is no story at all.
    And don't forget, not everything you read on the internet is true. e.g. the news that the Nigerian women who is seeking asylum used forged documents to prove her daughter's death. I'm sure that she had the sympathies of most people up until Friday, but now it looks like a cynical ploy on her part to stay in the country. Regarding the original post, well we just have her side of the story to go on.

This is probably getting off the point somewhat, but I don't think that there is anyway that you can separate the politics from the photography in this situation

'west is best' just about covers it IMO.:)

Advertisement