Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended social care type books?

Options
  • 27-03-2009 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking for some recommendations!!

I'm a big fan of non fiction. I really like reading books by psychology/ social care professionals. I've read loads of books by individuals that have overcome adverse situations (drug addiction, autism, prostitution etc). I've read all the Shane Dunphy books and loved them so anything along those lines.

Haven't got my teeth into anything good in a while, so any recommendations are welcome!!

Have a super day :)

L.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 orangecake

Have you read A Million Little Pieces by James Frey? Its about a recovering drug addict and his time in rehab. Its a really compelling read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

I've just finished Oliver Sacks, "The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat", it's a series of fascinating case studies of patients with neurological diseases/ defects who Dr. Sacks treated made recommendations for. He is a "naturalist" and sees beyond the disease to the person, making the case studies highly readable and informative.

The best book on drug addiction I've read is 'Junky' by William S Burroughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

orangecake wrote: »
    Have you read A Million Little Pieces by James Frey? Its about a recovering drug addict and his time in rehab. Its a really compelling read.

I read this, loved it, bought the follow up book and then discovered it's all a big fat lie!!!!!
    Google it... he says that he exagerrated actual events to make them more exciting but there's still controversy around whether he was even an actual drug addict. The whole prison stint never happened (according to police records) and noone ever met or heard of Lilly and Lenny.
    Very disappointing stuff :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 orangecake

I knew before I read it that it was an 'embellished' version of events so I just took the book for what it was - a really good story. Maybe if I read it thinking it was entirely factual I would have felt a bit betrayed but one way or another Frey paints a harrowing picture of drug addiction and rehabilitation.

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

Kathy Glass is an amazing author who writes about her experiences as a foster mother... She has a few books out and I've enjoyed them all.

Tom Sykes "What Did I do Last night" is supposedly a good book on alcoholism - I've bought it but not had the time to read it yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

Lillylilly wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm looking for some recommendations!!

I'm a big fan of non fiction. I really like reading books by psychology/ social care professionals. I've read loads of books by individuals that have overcome adverse situations (drug addiction, autism, prostitution etc). I've read all the Shane Dunphy books and loved them so anything along those lines.

Haven't got my teeth into anything good in a while, so any recommendations are welcome!!

Have a super day :)

L.
    Blacbird by Judith Lauck .

Advertisement