Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I switch off the Audible speed warning? Garmin 255WT

Options
  • 27-03-2009 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Well I bought a Garmin 255WT with European Mapping. Great device, love it etc. However the one thing that really, really irritates me is the continuous audible warning if I'm driving over the speed limit for the area.

The model already provides a visual warning that turns red when I'm over the limit so I don't want the audio.

Is there any way of switching this off on this model? I've been looking about the settings but can't seem to find how to do this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I wish I could turn this ON on my 205wt but I guess its not on my model :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Well I bought a Garmin 255WT with European Mapping. Great device, love it etc. However the one thing that really, really irritates me is the continuous audible warning if I'm driving over the speed limit for the area.

The model already provides a visual warning that turns red when I'm over the limit so I don't want the audio.

Is there any way of switching this off on this model? I've been looking about the settings but can't seem to find how to do this.

Try Tools > Settings > Proximity Alerts > Change...

If Speed Camera data is loaded this should come up. There should be an option along the bottom bar for 'audio'. This will let you change from single beep to continuous beep but I don't know if you can turn it off on that model without turning off all audio.

You could untick Speed cameras but then you would have no visual warning either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

sesswhat wrote: »
    Try Tools > Settings > Proximity Alerts > Change...

If Speed Camera data is loaded this should come up. There should be an option along the bottom bar for 'audio'. This will let you change from single beep to continuous beep but I don't know if you can turn it off on that model without turning off all audio.
    Cool, I'll try that tonight, thanks. The silly thing was driving me mad on Friday*

*yes, I know, if I drove within the limit I'd be fine. I shouldn't speed, I'm a very bad man.

100gSoma wrote: »
    I wish I could turn this ON on my 205wt but I guess its not on my model :(

It probably is on but if you are only driving in Ireland you won't have the necessary data on the unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It probably is on but if you are only driving in Ireland you won't have the necessary data on the unit.

True, it doesn't work in the republic but once you cross the border the thing chimes like a cuckoo clock on speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There is no speed camera database, true, but that isn't what he's talking about I think. The newer Garmin Navteq maps have a reasonably extensive speed limit database, and my 760 shows this as a speed limit sign on the left hand side of the display. I guess some of the newer xx5 units also use this to warn if you're over the speed limit. There must be something in the settings somehwere, or you could always read the manual :)

Alun wrote: »
    There is no speed camera database, true, but that isn't what he's talking about I think. The newer Garmin Navteq maps have a reasonably extensive speed limit database, and my 760 shows this as a speed limit sign on the left hand side of the display. I guess some of the newer xx5 units also use this to warn if you're over the speed limit. There must be something in the settings somehwere, or you could always read the manual :)

I think that if you have any relevant proximity alert database loaded, then the inbuilt alert should operate by default.

(If you were really determined to switch off audio alerts just for one particular type of data, speed limits for example, you could make your own silent audio file and incorporate that with the data file. This should override the inbuilt 'dong'. Of course this would involve a bit of tinkering.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

r3nu4l wrote: »
    100gSoma wrote:
    I wish I could turn this ON on my 205wt but I guess its not on my model:(

Just swap Sat Navs and the job is sorted! :D

invest4deepvalue.com

I understand what you're talking about but that feature still doesn't seem to work in the republic. As I said the audible warning sounded whenever I creeped over the limit up North right up until just past Newry going south but as soon as I crossed the border it just didn't anymore.

Jip wrote: »
    I understand what you're talking about but that feature still doesn't seem to work in the republic. As I said the audible warning sounded whenever I creeped over the limit up North right up until just past Newry going south but as soon as I crossed the border it just didn't anymore.
    That's odd. When you were south of the border was there a speed limit sign showing on the display? Do you have the latest map updates? I've noticed that it's only been in the last few updates that the speed limit database has become anywhere near complete (albeit still wrong a lot of the time).

• Advertisement

I think that if you have any relevant proximity alert database loaded, then the inbuilt alert should operate by default.

(If you were really determined to switch off audio alerts just for one particular type of data, speed limits for example, you could make your own silent audio file and incorporate that with the data file. This should override the inbuilt 'dong'. Of course this would involve a bit of tinkering.)
    Yeah, a bit too much tinkering for me I'm afraid, I'm the Frank Spencer of the 21st Century :(
    There is no speed camera database, true, but that isn't what he's talking about I think.
    Well I'm driving in England so I do have a GATSO database on my Garmin and it warns me when there are cameras ahead but you're right, that's not what I'm talking about.
    The newer Garmin Navteq maps have a reasonably extensive speed limit database, and my 760 shows this as a speed limit sign on the left hand side of the display. I guess some of the newer xx5 units also use this to warn if you're over the speed limit.
    Yup, I'm talking about a database that has the local speed limits built in so that if I'm in a 70 mph zone (dual-carriageway or motorway) then I get a little speed limit sign saying '70' on the lower-left of my Garmin, if I go above 70 mph, the bastid starts beeping at me and won't stop until I go at or below 70.
    There must be something in the settings somewhere, or you could always read the manual :)
    I did the whole 'RTFM'* thing to no avail. The manual is rubbish, there's nothing in there about turning it off :(

Sesswhat, I still haven't tried your solution but I will do tonight.

*for those who don't know, RTFM = read teh fcuking manual

That's odd. When you were south of the border was there a speed limit sign showing on the display? Do you have the latest map updates? I've noticed that it's only been in the last few updates that the speed limit database has become anywhere near complete (albeit still wrong a lot of the time).

All of the above !

Now having said that I haven't used it much up north (it's in my wifes car) so it could have been coincidence that I may have been coming up to a speed camera but it definately does not beep when you exceed the limit that's displayed on the screen back home.

Jip wrote: »
    All of the above !

Now having said that I haven't used it much up north (it's in my wifes car) so it could have been coincidence that I may have been coming up to a speed camera but it definately does not beep when you exceed the limit that's displayed on the screen back home.

I don't think the inbuilt speed limit information is actually used for alerts, only for displaying the limit.

However, each camera/speedtrap location has an associated speed limit and warning distance and this is probably the only thing setting off the alerts.

I don't think the inbuilt speed limit information is actually used for alerts, only for displaying the limit.

However, each camera/speedtrap location has an associated speed limit and warning distance and this is probably the only thing setting off the alerts.
    that does sound right, plus I've just twigged that the OP is in the UK, Cambridge I think, so the built-in speed camera database will be active, and they're all over the place over there.

In which case I think all the OP has to do is to go into Tools > Settings > Proximity Points > Change ... and untick "Garmin Safety Cameras".

that does sound right, plus I've just twigged that the OP is in the UK, Cambridge I think, so the built-in speed camera database will be active, and they're all over the place over there.

In which case I think all the OP has to do is to go into Tools > Settings > Proximity Points > Change ... and untick "Garmin Safety Cameras".

Trouble is, OP would still like the visual alerts (screen turning red).

There does not seem to be an option for turning off the audio alerts separately, only changing from Single Tone to Continuous Tone.

Let me make it a bit more clear.

There are two different warnings on my Garmin.

1) When I approach an area where there is a speed camera, I get a black icon showing a camera and the speed limit on the mid-upper left of my screen, accompanied by an intermittent beep.

2) No matter where I am (even if there isn't a camera within 10 miles) I get a speed limit indicator (speed limit sign displaying limit) displayed on the lower left of my screen. If I exceed the limit a red rectangular box appears on the mid-upper left of my screen, warning me of the speed limit (e.g. 'Speed limit 70 mph') and this is accompanied by an intermittent beep. This beeping only stops when I go at or below the limit, at which time the red rectangular box turns black. It's not linked to speed cameras at all.

For example, I travel 35 miles to work in the morning, there is one fixed speed camera on the road during that journey, yet the speed warning kicks in on any part of the journey, even 15 miles away from the camera. As I approach the camera, the speed camera warning kicks in and disappears once I've passed the camera, yet the speed warning will continue to run.

Needless to say I have my Garmin on mute as the average speed of drivers on that road is around 80 mph while the limit is 70 mph (dual carriageways in England have a 70 mph limit).

I'll experiment with some solutions tonight and over the weekend and get back with a response if I get anything to work :)

Advertisement