Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Switch Ideas-Needs:Port Mirroring/Spanning w/Bi-Directional Target Port

• 27-03-2009 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Budget Switch recommendation please - Needs: Port Mirroring(all ports as sources) w/Bi-Directional Target Port

I need a recommendation of a budget(relatively) switch which features:
    - Port Mirroring/Spanning, allowing ALL ports to be sources (all bar Target port obviously)
    - A mirror/span Target port which is Bi-Directional - i.e. which can communicate normally as well as receiving the mirrored data

I would prefer to use a reasonably known brand - so if the likes of 3Com or Cisco or DLink do something like this it would be great. (or even Dell since they offer extended warranties)

Oh, as this may be used in different sized environments, recommendations of 8, 16, 24 and 48 port would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The managed 3Com Baseline Pluses support simultaneous TX and RX mirroring on multiple ports. Though mirroring will of course break down if multiple monitored ports are sending enough traffic.

For managed gigabit switches they're cheap and the 2924/2948s have been reliable so far in the one location I've used them.
    16, 24 and 48 port versions available.

They're noisy for an office environment, if that matters.

The cheap dell equivalent I've worked with were buggy as heck, though that was 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Quoi?

Thanks.

Any others?

Advertisement